• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any good buyers left?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We will need to get used to having unqualified young people in positions such as this.

This is in no way a rant against the younger generation, I've never bought into that.

But it is acknowledging that there are almost no farm kids left to draw from to fill these positions due to the declining number of farmers.
    And the baby boomers that currently fill these jobs are retiring en masse.

There are lots of smart, capable, hard working kids who didn't grow up on a farm ( and lots of farm kids who don't fit the mold too... ), but the hands on experience, work ethic, and knowledge that comes from growing up being intimately involved with a farm ( or any other family business for that matter), just can't be replaced. Not many businesses that can involve the kids from a young age where they can pick up on the attributes the work force values.

Our farm kids can likely get into any job they want, and set their own conditions, their skill set is so rare and valuable now.

Comment

Originally posted by Bushpusher View Post
      The “merchant” at one of the places I’m talking about has no previous grain experience other sweeping the driveway. How can I trust that person when I’ve caught mistakes made by them on the driveway? Now they’re the one watching the others? Makes zero sense. I asked who they learned from, the names I was given…I laughed. One was the current manager who yet has to leave the safety of their office to talk to me when I’m there. Never seen this person outside of their office once. Just a joke. The other was an idiot, was trying to buy my grain and seemed scared to come to the farm, couldn’t talk farming if his life depended on it, now I hear he’s got a big promotion. This year I’ll be asking to see grade inspector certificates, I want proof that the people grading my grain are actually trained. Or they accept my third party grading cert, or I go elsewhere. Game over. I’m
      Not playing anymore
      I think you are getting your terminology wrong. A merchant is the person located in head office and manages the book of business for a particular grain on behalf of the company. They set the price for the company level and after taking into account freight and competitive factors, set the price for individual locations.

The people you refer to are the CSR's. They basically have to carry a conversation and dial the phone not much more. Don't expect wisdom to come from them.

Also don't rely on a grain company for marketing advice or reliable info to make a decision. According to half the reps that I deal with it is always a good time to sell right now.

Pay for a couple good newsletters.

Comment

Farm kids are sometimes better able to carry on a conversation and inspire some confidence that they know what you are talking about or can pick it up with a short explination.
        Assuming they haven't spent their life in the basement gaming. That has been happening for 20+ yrs.

They also sometimes arn't as intimidated by the grumpy old farmer show.

Last edited by shtferbrains; Aug 12, 2021, 17:20.

Comment

Why not have government inspectors to grade at elevators they are in every slaughter house to inspect and grade carcasses.

Comment

Originally posted by LEP View Post
            I think you are getting your terminology wrong. A merchant is the person located in head office and manages the book of business for a particular grain on behalf of the company. They set the price for the company level and after taking into account freight and competitive factors, set the price for individual locations.

The people you refer to are the CSR's. They basically have to carry a conversation and dial the phone not much more. Don't expect wisdom to come from them.

Also don't rely on a grain company for marketing advice or reliable info to make a decision. According to half the reps that I deal with it is always a good time to sell right now.

Pay for a couple good newsletters.
            Good point. But I’m not getting my terms mixed up. Pioneer calls their head buyers at the terminals merchants. I agree with you though, merchants are the guys in head office. Pretty sure pioneer just uses that title to make their people sound smart, but talk to them for a minute and you realize they’re just csr’s. In the last year in my area pioneer’s been hiring people with a pulse cause they can’t get anyone good. Everyone who was good left. And I don’t rely on them for information, I just think that the person buying my grain should at least be able to carry on a conversation about what’s happening in the markets, if they can’t, I won’t deal with them cause they’re an idiot.

I do get some newsletters and like I said in my first post I hired an advisor this year also

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
            • Return to Topic List
            Working...