• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Drone to scout hail damage

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Drone to scout hail damage

I have 500 acres to scout before the adjuster gets here but have a knee brace on. Will a drone camera be enough to see bruised/knocked off pods in canola? Not for a % of loss but just to follow the edge of the storm vs walking around the entire perimeter of the field.

Thanks

I think it could be useful.
    Either a full map project or a few pics. Even some canopy level shots.

Comment

Originally posted by Ronski View Post
      I have 500 acres to scout before the adjuster gets here but have a knee brace on. Will a drone camera be enough to see bruised/knocked off pods in canola? Not for a % of loss but just to follow the edge of the storm vs walking around the entire perimeter of the field.

Thanks
      Yes I think it would definetly help I recommend the Mavic Mini 2. 10km range, same 4k camera as the models over double the price and because it weighs in under 250 grams no licence and transport canada registration required.

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/dji-mini-2-quadcopter-drone-with-camera-controller-grey-bilingual/15081904
      Last edited by biglentil; Aug 6, 2021, 10:10.

Comment

Drones are useful but what I believe has evolved more is some of the satellite imagery that is now available.
        I don't think its perfect yet by any means but the thinking is to do a before and after date comparation of imagery to determine the storm path and maybe pick out a bad spot that needs examination. I have heard of people trying to use this for bugs or disease damage. The idea if I recall is that at some point the client will get a message from the provider of a possible issue in a field where the imagery changes between shots outside of what is the norm. We have access to FBN imagery now and its been obvious from scan to scan with any burning in poor spots in the field or good areas that hung on better. One quad path into the center of the field might put your mind at ease.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
        • Return to Topic List
        Working...