• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Friday Crop Report on a Thursday!

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dr Tone View Post
    I think I’ve only had 1 year in the last 10 where I didn’t collect crop insurance on something or multiple crops. She be wet, no hand outs just have to work a winter job.

It’s normal for me, this year might be a better return than we normally get and we’ve only had 3” of rain all year.
    You must be pn the east side of the lake.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Tone View Post
      I think I’ve only had 1 year in the last 10 where I didn’t collect crop insurance on something or multiple crops. She be wet, no hand outs just have to work a winter job.

It’s normal for me, this year might be a better return than we normally get and we’ve only had 3” of rain all year.
      Yeah multiple year crop insurance reliance hurts after a while. Premiums skyrocket and coverage drops. We have had about 3.5 inches now, and with the cooler, high humidity, and subsoil we had things look good, especially considering prices.

It’s sucks that to win, someone often has to lose. Usually are not 95% losing for the sake of 5% though.

Comment

Originally posted by woodland View Post
        Well it’s been another dry week here.

The yellowjackets and grasshoppers are certainly enjoying it. We’re lucky the hoppers are only coming on thick now when there’s not much left for them to eat anyway. Next year will be a total wreck if the dry continues.

The yearlings are pretty much out of grass and should’ve been sold tomorrow but refused to come out of the bush. Once we got a bunch of them on the road they smashed a fence and ran away. Now they’re spread across six different quarters with plenty of bush. I really wasn’t looking forward to selling early but wanted to get them gone to put the pain behind me. Now we’re further behind than before with more work to drag them home somehow. Working and moving cattle this year has been very bizarre and all we can chalk it up to is the heat. Definitely not used to dealing with cows in +25 let alone +30 like most days it seems this year.

Spending more time dealing with water for the cows this year than the previous 5 years combined. The last few years they could stick their noses anywhere and get a drink.

The kids (our best crop) love coming to check cows with me as long as we stop and let them run in the corn. Pretty impressed with the corn and it’s starting to tassel and put on cobs at 3-7 feet tall. Hopefully it can stretch out more but has a lot of drought stress showing.

The barley and canola aren’t much to look at so we won’t discuss those. Off to a field day and AGM with our local forage association this afternoon. It’ll be nice to get away and visit with some likeminded folks. It’s been more stressful and time consuming not making hay (grazing instead) compared to other years …………… not to mention much less profitable. Hopefully everyone can scrounge enough “economical” cow chow to make it through.

Good luck y’all 🍀
        Rather the bee nest in the tracks than the muskrat that committed Hari Kari in the 6 stump pan at 30 degrees.

Comment

Originally posted by makar View Post
          Rather the bee nest in the tracks than the muskrat that committed Hari Kari in the 6 stump pan at 30 degrees.
          This is on our old 6 as well too……….

Lost count of how many times I’ve been stung this year. Twice yesterday on the top of my head trying to get yearlings outta da bush.

Comment

Never been stung by a bee in a old cat, they would just drive me
            nuts flying around the canopy, my meti buddy if he drove it hammered him all day long. Said they were after a free drunk, but I drank more beer than he did.
            Last edited by makar; Aug 5, 2021, 23:05.

Comment

South east of Edmonton
              Canola looks not too bad for very little rain.

Wheat looks Ok, just very short.

Oats thin and short but at least something there.

Concerned about the colour and weight.

Comment

[QUOTE=Stormin;504198]South east of Edmonton
                Canola looks not too bad for very little rain.

Stormsn,

I agree.
                Surprised how well our Nexera 1030rr is filling. Most Canola is filling well now, even with 30-32c days…

If we get a few showers for the next few days… then there will be more Canola than many are expecting.

Cheers!

Comment

Tom 4 little areas arent going to add much when 80% of the prairies has a shit show. Come on you know that. Math is fun. 12.7 because poorer are going backward faster than the good going forward.

Comment

In our area and this year when I say
                    our area I m including at least 50 miles all around the only
                    good that rain is doing is for next year and
                    It might start all the volunteer seeds that either
                    Too short to cut that will shell out, seeds blown out
                    the back too light Or seeds couldn’t pick up in the swath
                    too short and small. Hopefully They germinate so we can
                    spray them out. But as far as yields will only hurt grade if there
                    is any grade left crops too far Advanced.
                    Last edited by the big wheel; Aug 6, 2021, 05:59.

Comment

Rain doesn't make grain after the end of July. It just builds moisture for 2022.

Comment

Unless u grow beans

Comment

Or it’s so wet you can’t get the crop in till June.

Comment

Canola market is riding the same boat as barley, that boat sank in June.

Pulses no disease so relatively better yield.

wheat and durum might be the most variable yields, with the exception of durum which has limited adaptations and growing regions (southern Sask and Alberta, manitoba none) expect substantial sadness for everyone (mustard is similar)

The impact economically in western Canada will be epic.

Comment

Ah, the stupid city people have no idea how much this will affect things in Regina and Saskatoon.

Farmer's won't be buying or hiring or spending on nights out etc.

Listened to Kevin on the Radio yesterday. He has lost it as a valuable reporter. Just cut down guys with contracts, basically said you signed it you honor it, and said lentils and peas have an act of God so that is way better.

Comment

Those city folks will catch on when they go to buy food this winter.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...