• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Controlling Foxtail Barley in lawn?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Controlling Foxtail Barley in lawn?

This sh*t got away from me. Got a patch in some recently planted grass, around some recently planted trees <3ft tall. Now has spread to established lawn and patches around the bins. Is there any way to get rid of it besides tillage? I'd rather not rip up all the sod just to have to rotor till or cultivate constantly

I hear the mature seeds hard on livestock, do goats eat it? Would cows/horses eat the shit before it goes to seed? Would we have to graze it hard to get them to control the weed?

I've seen it called a short-lived perennial... does that mean if we graze it or mow it hard enough and keep it from going to seed, the foxtail will die off and other grass take its place?

you could try applying gypsum

Comment

In lawn? Just mow it. It only reproduces by seed as a bunch grass. In theory and in journals, animals are supposed to like it before heading. NOT the case that I see. I think it’s simply non palatable. In a lawn, I can’t see it liking repetitive mowing. In fact, we have a few plants in our lawn, because the lawn has not needed much mowing as of late for some reason. I had not noticed it in our lawn until this year ever.

The beards are what gives animals issues, especially in hay when it’s harder to pick through it for a hungry animal. It gets under their lips and sometimes in their eyes. Which starts to fester and carry on causing sores and such.

Comment

I spray mine with assure.

Comment

Originally posted by makar View Post
          I spray mine with assure.
          Kills quack too.

Comment

A way back when Assure first came on the market the older gentleman chem rep that was selling it told me you could spray your lawn for foxtail and not kill lawn grass with it. I have never tried it and I think I would try a small area first.

Comment

Originally posted by seldomseen View Post
              A way back when Assure first came on the market the older gentleman chem rep that was selling it told me you could spray your lawn for foxtail and not kill lawn grass with it. I have never tried it and I think I would try a small area first.
              Look in the blue book and see whats registered for creeping red fescue. Grew it for years. Thats whats in your lawn or most of a blend.

Comment

I would have removed the lawn completely and covered it with an ecosystem. Yes, artificial grass can decorate both outdoor areas and ceiling areas. The difference in laying is considerable. And it lies in the preparation of the substrate. Before laying everything with grass, a stable base must be prepared carefully, in order to prevent the grass from warping for years to come. Artificial grass, on the other hand, which is designed to beautify landscapes and bring homeowners' home designs to life, does not require extensive preparation of the substrate. I have used https://itsartificialgrass.com/ and so far nothing has sprouted through the lawn.
                Last edited by bajorjoevel; Sep 22, 2021, 01:44.

Comment

So bajor, does astroturf have that nice smell after cutting? Asking for a friend.

Comment

Whenever I see a foxtail in the yard, it gets pulled and destroyed. They pull very easily and much better than letting them goto seed.

Comment

My mom pulls this weed, there wasn't much of it this year, but a couple of years ago, she fought it all summer, nasty stuff. In general, I admire people like my mother, who have grown something in their garden for more than 10 years. When I was in college on vacation, we visited her for 2 hours every day spent in her garden. She often had something sick, or those stupid weeds grew when necessary, and she steadfastly continued to garden. Back in college, I decided that I would put artificial lawns at home and would not sweat it. I now live with my boyfriend, and we rent a small house. I recently bought a yard at https://www.artificialgrass-manchester.co.uk/, put on a swing, and quietly live.
                      Last edited by bajorjoevel; Oct 20, 2021, 01:22.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                      • Return to Topic List
                      Working...