• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ducks get $20 million

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bucket View Post
    Here is a story about DU.

DU gets water from Lake Diefenbaker and send it through a series of lakes / marshes that they manage poorly. Marshes are supposed to help filter the water...

Lake diefenbaker provides 75 percent of this province's population drinking water.

In less than 30 miles through the DU system ....the water is barely drinkable for cattle.

Now they are pulling out but keeping any land they have in that area and leaving a phucking mess behind.

Shit engineering of stop logs and poor management ..

DU is a land aggregator and really doesnt give a shit about ranchers or farmers even with all their paintings in the malls.

But you defend these DU people??????
    I don't know anything about the specific project you mention. And I won't rely only on your obviously biased assessment.

Some farmers seem to be opposed to protecting the environment and supporting conservation efforts.
    If given the chance some will illegally drain wetlands and flood out their neighbors without a care for what happens down stream or to the lost habitat.

Its ironic to hear some farm organizations tell us how farmers care for the environment and are good stewards of the land. A lot do, but some will bulldoze sensitive ecosystems and clear marginal land that would best be left alone.

Many farmers also belong to the Sask Wildlife Federation and enjoy hunting on land the SWF owns. They do alot of the same thing as DU. But you don't seem concerned about the SWF.

DU and other conservation organizations protect marginal land that has important ecological value.

So are you suggesting we should not set aside marginal and important ecologically sensitive land?

I would rather have DU and the NCC and the SWF protecting marginal land than Andjelic buying it and bulldozing it and charging high rents just so he can make more money than he needs.

But you seem to think what Andjelic does is okay? No doubt Andjelic got his share of tax dollars and subsidies too.
    Last edited by chuckChuck; Jul 27, 2021, 06:52.

Comment

Originally posted by chuckChuck View Post
      I don't know anything about the specific project you mention. And I won't rely only on your obviously biased assessment.

Some farmers seem to be opposed to protecting the environment and supporting conservation efforts.
      If given the chance some will illegally drain wetlands and flood out their neighbors without a care for what happens down stream or to the lost habitat.

Its ironic to hear some farm organizations tell us how farmers care for the environment and are good stewards of the land. A lot do, but some will bulldoze sensitive ecosystems and clear marginal land that would best be left alone.

Many farmers also belong to the Sask Wildlife Federation and enjoy hunting on land the SWF owns. They do alot of the same thing as DU. But you don't seem concerned about the SWF.

DU and other conservation organizations protect marginal land that has important ecological value.

So are you suggesting we should not set aside marginal and important ecologically sensitive land?

I would rather have DU and the NCC and the SWF protecting marginal land than Andjelic buying it and bulldozing it and charging high rents just so he can make more money than he needs.

But you seem to think what Andjelic does is okay? No doubt Andjelic got his share of tax dollars and subsidies too.

There is no bias. I have had the water tested just facts.

And could you point me to where Andjelic received 125 million in federal government funding. I seem to have missed those press releases.

100 million to NCC in 2019 and another 25 million recently to DU.

DISCLAIMER : I have no dealings with ANdjelic. But know he is large land owner. chuck chuck threw him into this conversation.
      Last edited by bucket; Jul 27, 2021, 07:57.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	20180920_121909.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	97.7 KB
ID:	771332

Some of DU finest drainage of wetlands. And they have the ability to draw water from Lake Diefenbaker to keep this wet.

Pictures say 1000 words. Bias...I think not ...just facts.

I call bullshit on anyone that thinks DU or NCC is anything other than a land agregator. And a government tit sucker.
        Last edited by bucket; Jul 27, 2021, 07:47.

Comment

There’s those damn details and facts again

Comment

[ATTACH]8297[/ATTACH]

Some of DU finest drainage of wetlands. And they have the ability to draw water from Lake Diefenbaker to keep this wet.

Pictures say 1000 words. Bias...I think not ...just facts.

I call bullshit on anyone that thinks DU or NCC is anything other than a land agregator. And a government tit sucker.
            So what does a photo of low spot in a drought tell us about the last 10 years of this project? Not much.

Did you test the water on several privately held wetlandsand all the publically owned rivers and lakes in southern Sask? What did you find?

And what are your qualifications to assess water quality and ecological system health?

And Andjellic is not an agregator? LOL

Comment

There is no bias. I have had the water tested just facts.

And could you point me to where Andjelic received 125 million in federal government funding. I seem to have missed those press releases.

100 million to NCC in 2019 and another 25 million recently to DU.

DISCLAIMER : I have no dealings with ANdjelic. But know he is large land owner. chuck chuck threw him into this conversation.
              You were complaining about land agregators there Bucket. Andjelic isn't one or what? Explain.

So says the wanna be government tit sucker who is begging for a $100 per acre payment to all farmers whether they need it or not!

The irony and hypocrisy is thick this morning! LOL

Comment

You were complaining about land agregators there Bucket. Andjelic isn't one or what? Explain.

So says the wanna be government tit sucker who is begging for a $100 per acre payment to all farmers whether they need it or not!

The irony and hypocrisy is thick this morning! LOL
                Andjelic, to my knowledge, isn't using government money to buy out ranchers.

And yup I am asking for 100 bucks an acre...but maybe you would rather see the demise of the economy instead. Maybe we should have left every Canadian survive the pandemic on their own as well.

I haven't taken CEBA, I pay my crop insurance, and I try to grow a reasonable crop. Didn't happen for many this year....so your answer is to let farmers suffer...

How does spending billions on secondary industries through PIC and other programs make sense if farmers are not around? I guess it can be all TFW.

Comment

So what does a photo of low spot in a drought tell us about the last 10 years of this project? Not much.

Did you test the water on several privately held wetlandsand all the publically owned rivers and lakes in southern Sask? What did you find?

And what are your qualifications to assess water quality and ecological system health?

And Andjellic is not an agregator? LOL
                  OOPs hit the wrong button , didn't mean to like your comments and I shouldn't be engaging in this but if you google map Thunder Creek ...you might learn something... That isn't a low spot , its a canal built by the PFRA that is supposed to have water in it to transfer water from lake to lake...

From a guy that cut and pastes most of his posts you certainly prove that facts are not something you believe in.

Further , I don't know what generation of farmer you are , but there is a good chance you are farming because of government payments from previous generations.
                  Last edited by bucket; Jul 27, 2021, 09:06.

Comment

Let’s simplify this argument before you two carry on with it.

Do riparian areas need improved management/buffer zones/understanding utilized within, not just ag, but the entire population?

Yes.

Are DU the best option for this?

Nope.

End of story.

FWIW even ALUS seems to be a better bet at riparian improvement than DU. Shocking as that seems. But it’s not broadly available.

Now, carry on.

Comment

Originally posted by Blaithin View Post
                      Let’s simplify this argument before you two carry on with it.

Do riparian areas need improved management/buffer zones/understanding utilized within, not just ag, but the entire population?

Yes.

Are DU the best option for this?

Nope.

End of story.

FWIW even ALUS seems to be a better bet at riparian improvement than DU. Shocking as that seems. But it’s not broadly available.

Now, carry on.
                      ALUS is a Weston family initiative ...for whatever reason I can't get on board with those shysters either.

Comment

ALUS is a Weston family initiative ...for whatever reason I can't get on board with those shysters either.
                        That’s why it seems shocking. Just waiting for the punchline to pop up.

Comment

Ranchers seem more on side with conservation than many crop farmers who want to push all the bush and drain all the wetlands because they don't want to drive around a slough with an oversized air drill.

So the problem with DU is with DU and it's not with the need for conserving habitat and protecting ecosystems? I am not sure that is the case, because many farmers seem critical of any attempts to protect the environment or to have some rules that might infringe on what they can do with their land. Many are indeed opposed to any rules at all.

DU may not be good at riparian management, but alot of farmers and ranchers are really bad at it. I still see lots of cattle walking into water supplies and mucking up and shitting in rivers, streams and water supplies across the prairies.

Bucket if you are going to oppose DU, SWF and the NCC and other conservation groups for aggregating marginal land for conservation why do you think it is okay to allow Andjellic a non resident corporate entity to out compete young farmers with an investors profit goals? Wouldn't that land be better owned by younger owner operators and Saskatchewan farm families so that they can build some equity and have some control?
                          Last edited by chuckChuck; Jul 28, 2021, 06:55.

Comment

Ranchers seem more on side with conservation than many crop farmers who want to push all the bush and drain all the wetlands because they don't want to drive around a slough with an oversized air drill.

So the problem with DU is with DU and it's not with the need for conserving habitat and protecting ecosystems? I am not sure that is the case, because many farmers seem critical of any attempts to protect the environment or to have some rules that might infringe on what they can do with their land. Many are indeed opposed to any rules at all.

DU may not be good at riparian management, but alot of farmers and ranchers are really bad at it. I still see lots of cattle walking into water supplies and mucking up and shitting in rivers, streams and water supplies across the prairies.

Bucket if you are going to oppose DU, SWF and the NCC and other conservation groups for aggregating marginal land for conservation why do you think it is okay to allow Andjellic a non resident corporate entity to out compete young farmers with an investors profit goals? Wouldn't that land be better owned by younger owner operators and Saskatchewan farm families so that they can build some equity and have some control?
                            Investors will eventually leave...no different than when credit foncier finally left...

DU and NCC never leave...they are a scourge.

But yes some farmers have to have every single acre and spend to get that slough into production.

I still go around them or seed the quarter to grass...it's easier...

But DU gets government money to entice people to do the same thing with conditions ...then they get offset donations to do these environmental conservation projects.

I have used my own money, no government money, but I don't like easements on my land or having someone tell me what I can and can't do.

And it's probably goes without saying I might be a little better at conservation than NCC or DU and have pastures to prove it. Within 2 miles of each other.

I have grass set aside for the prairies chicken which never seem to show up in the local NCC pastures. Go figure.
                            Last edited by bucket; Jul 28, 2021, 07:16.

Comment

Naive landowners dealing with DU or NCC for their hobby farmer style “regenerative projects” are just creating a headache for whoever buys their land in the future due to permanent easements.
                              Last edited by Oliver88; Jul 28, 2021, 09:13.

Comment

Its not impossible to have both land for conservation and bio-diversity and healthy family farms.

In fact many farmers and ranchers do both, knowing that we need to protect our natural resources and build resilience into our farming systems.

DU has often been criticized as a hunters club for for saving game birds. I think they do more than that.

If you want to be objective about conservation and agriculture coexisting then you need to look at the impact of both and look at how many acres are going into conservation versus how many marginal acres are now going into farming. I don't have the numbers, but I think you will find that farming is winning by a large margin.

Farmers are clearing more land and breaking up more marginal land for crops. There are more and more fence line to fence line fields with almost no wildlife habitat on them. Former tree rows are being cleared. Potholes drained. None of this will lead to more wildlife and conservation. It has the opposite effect.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...