• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Road trip crop observations

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Road trip crop observations

This is a disaster.

We travelled from far west of Red Deer Alberta, east through Red Deer, jogged north to Stettler( went right by Hamloc I think), Castor, Consort, Biggar, Saskatoon, then north and back towards North Battleford, West through Cutknife, Wainwright, Camrose, south on 21, then west to Ponoka.

From east of hwy 21 all the way to well past North Battleford, I don't think I would be exaggerating to say there are more crops of all types in the single digit yields than above that, regardless of the weather from here on out. And 0 is a single digit. There really wasn't an area that wasn't depressingly bad in all that distance. I hope for those farmers sake that I am wrong since most of my experience is with drowned out crops, not dried out and burnt crops.

A large area around Cutknife had some good crops, at least compared to everything else we had seen, patches of better crop from there west. Then again around Camrose and south it improved again, and started seeing more signs of drown out than dried out, but still very variable. Could see what I assume to be soil differences in every field by crop height and color.

Some crops that looked decent from a distance, aren't. Talked to a farmer near Halkirk, he showed me that almost all the wheat heads were empty, in a green crop that looked like it had potential. Said all the barley is already a write off with no grain, being baled for straw already.

Even closer to Red Deer where things look good, there are hills turning white, canola done flowering much too soon, short thin crops compared to usual.

If that route of approx 1400 km, is at all representative of the rest of the prairies, then the posters suggesting we will raise half of a normal crop are probably high. As I understand, there are much worse areas than what we saw.

From what I've heard, there is a very good area here in west Central AB, another around Calgary, but doesn't extend very far south or east, A strip around Regina, plus the areas I mentioned above.
    Is that it? And even those areas will still have been ( and continue to be) flowering in the heat with little or no subsoil for the rest of the summer.

No one is crying wolf this year.

What a hopeless situation for the livestock producers.

2021 is not a write off yet... for many of us, did my 6 hour trip Monday in central AB black soil zone.

There are showers in the evening being forecasted... with cooler temps after tomorrow.

First week of May seeded crops will be harvested in August in all likely hood... 2-4 weeks early depending on GDD accumulations. As Blackpowder said a week ago... East of Camrose to Lougheed will have an 80% crop... better if we catch some decent showers without hail in the next two weeks.

Good dirt will produce a decent crop worth harvesting in many areas of central Alberta much better than 2002. Here in the Black soil zone of Alberta... many had 6" of rain from May 1... if we can get another 2" we can finish off the crop that is here with decent quality. Hay in many areas much more than 2002.. put up early in decent shape. Pasture still ok to end of July, perhaps Aug 15. 2" more in the next month would extend that.

We have come a fair distance in water conservation since 2002.... those who heeded the dry hot 2021 forecast are two jumps ahead of 2002 and a reasonable harvest is certainly possible!

It ain't over yet here... on July 15.

Cheers pray for rain!
    Last edited by TOM4CWB; Jul 15, 2021, 01:20.

Comment

Originally posted by TOM4CWB View Post
      2021 is not a write off yet... for many of us, did my 6 hour trip Monday in central AB black soil zone.

There are showers in the evening being forecasted... with cooler temps after tomorrow.

First week of May seeded crops will be harvested in August in all likely hood... 2-4 weeks early depending on GDD accumulations. As Blackpowder said a week ago... East of Camrose to Lougheed will have an 80% crop... better if we catch some decent showers without hail in the next two weeks.

Good dirt will produce a decent crop worth harvesting in many areas of central Alberta much better than 2002. Here in the Black soil zone of Alberta... many had 6" of rain from May 1... if we can get another 2" we can finish off the crop that is here with decent quality. Hay in many areas much more than 2002.. put up early in decent shape. Pasture still ok to end of July, perhaps Aug 15. 2" more in the next month would extend that.

We have come a fair distance in water conservation since 2002.... those who heeded the dry hot 2021 forecast are two jumps ahead of 2002 and a reasonable harvest is certainly possible!

It ain't over yet here... on July 15.

Cheers pray for rain!

If that is the case Tom , consider that area the lottery winner of the century with decent crops and record prices 👍👍
      Say that area represents 10% of western Canada .
      Probably another 10% will get average or close to
      That leaves 80% that will be below ave to write off

Comment

Tom I am going to call your comments total Bucking Bullshit.

I went yesterday to Indian head probably some of the best dirt in western Canada.

Rained over 6 inches and yes they have a crop. I have seen big crops in my life and there is no way in ****ing hell they are going to produce more than an average at best. Rain isn't helping canola.

Wake up.

Comment

In another post Tom, you said that you’re area had more oats than you’ve ever seen. Said it was knee high, headed, and looks really good. Knee high? No way oats looks really good knee high fully headed?

Oats here is waist high and it doesn’t look good at all. Not saying your wrong, I’m just saying while it’s great to have rose colored glasses and high hopes, reality sounds different with knee high oats!

I’m hoping you are seven foot six. Lol

Ps Tom, don’t take this the wrong way, it’s just a question.

Comment

Originally posted by SASKFARMER View Post
            Tom I am going to call your comments total Bucking Bullshit.

I went yesterday to Indian head probably some of the best dirt in western Canada.

Rained over 6 inches and yes they have a crop. I have seen big crops in my life and there is no way in ****ing hell they are going to produce more than an average at best. Rain isn't helping canola.

Wake up.
            An 80% crop for the better parts [have to have had at least 6" to May 1-July 1] of Black Soil zone of Alberta... IF we get another 2" over the next 2 weeks is not unreasonable. The smoke is much more here this morning [13C 87% Hum] special air advisories. Most in 2002 were writing off some fields now... by mid July 2002. Big difference from 2021 for us.

I said NOTHING ABOUT THE REST OF WESTERN CANADA... BTW.

Cheers

Comment

Yes, tom 90 wheat could be 63 now or 70% of normal with rain to fill. Overall the numbers are not going to add up to any real big totals.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
              • Return to Topic List
              Working...