• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

One thing for certain now

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

None of my neighbors mentioned they where looking for more land lately but one guy who sold his this spring sure looked very relaxed in his new air conditioned 1/2 ton when I spoke to him the other day standing by my white bare pasture !

Comment

Originally posted by Sheepwheat View Post
      I bet it doesn’t. To be funk, if the last several years yields were anything near truthful, there should be some stupendous crop insurance coverage. When our area went through multiple years of no crop and single digit yields due to too much rain, land and iron was as exciting as ever for most around me.
      Crop insurance is one thing , and yes be very decent for some , but grain contracts will be the death knoll for many though .
      Not all areas had great crops the past 4-5 years , that in combination of grain contracts is a pending disaster.

Comment

Originally posted by furrowtickler View Post
        Crop insurance is one thing , and yes be very decent for some , but grain contracts will be the death knoll for many though .
        Not all areas had great crops the past 4-5 years , that in combination of grain contracts is a pending disaster.
        I hear you, but it’s amazing the depth of pockets on a lot of guys.

Comment

Just to set the record straight last years farm incomes were up and many farmers were giddy with the higher prices. I never said anything about 2021 incomes.

And considering that the chances for a longer drought appeared to be shaping up this spring, I was encouraging farmers and the provinces to support improvements to Agristability.

But alas, many farmers on this site said it was a useless program and not to bother.

If you happen to get no crop or 1/2 a crop because of drought then lets hope you signed up for Crop Insurance and Agristability because together they will cover some of your lost income.

Comment

It is a useless program I bet I won't even qualify again for this wreck. Need a structural change give up rented land.

Comment

Originally posted by SASKFARMER View Post
              It is a useless program I bet I won't even qualify again for this wreck. Need a structural change give up rented land.
              Any structural changes with more or less land are adjusted in the reference margins and current year margins to account for the structural change.

Comment

Agristab is still a useless program and will continue to be unless they change it back to the original form and if they did our provincial government would not sign on. Crop insurance still works for me, no it won’t pay all the bills but it will allow me to keep farming.

Comment

Originally posted by SASKFARMER View Post
                  It is a useless program I bet I won't even qualify again for this wreck. .
                  You have to be able to qualify for it by a convoluted reference margin formula that usually ends up in a zero gain.

In contrast, the people of NS (the province with the worst demographics and lowest per capita GDP) got $10 a day for child care without doing anything.

This is the fked up country we live in.

Comment

Originally posted by jazz View Post
                    Out near Maple Creek Tompkins area they finally gave up and cut and baled a bunch of wheat that looked destined for 5bu.
                    I'm not sure how you can even cut and bale a 5 bu crop without losing it all under the baler. Here a good, but normal silage crop will do 10t to the acre, this year the crop is thin and short, I'm thinking there might be 20% or less. Just no volume to the crops, really dont know what to expect for grain yields as have never seen this before but the impact will be significant.

Comment

Originally posted by jwab
                      Even if you collect 100% of your crop insurance, there’s a slim chance you’ll drop below the agstab threshold, especially if you have cattle. If you only have agstab maybe it works but for me crop insurance is a safer safety net, being in a high risk hail zone.
                      Agree 100%

Comment

Originally posted by GDR View Post
                        I'm not sure how you can even cut and bale a 5 bu crop without losing it all under the baler. Here a good, but normal silage crop will do 10t to the acre, this year the crop is thin and short, I'm thinking there might be 20% or less. Just no volume to the crops, really dont know what to expect for grain yields as have never seen this before but the impact will be significant.
                        Theres not really anything to bale here... pea crops possibly, but who takes the risk of it all blowing away after you swath? Can you keep the dirt at home afterwards?

Any cereal crop with some height will be run through a combine. In poor fields, the only places you could make a swath to bale are the low spots that will likely have some chance of filling, and therefore will likely find their way through a combine. The rest of the field you'll be scratching the ground to just barely clip the heads.

You cant bale something that's just over your ankles.

Comment

My kid cut some durum with kochia in it...kochia withered to the ground and the durum head couldn't be picked up...

I think there is a possibility to save some herds with what SCIC announced yesterday but its going to be hard grinding to make bales.

Most of the barley around here was rolled after seeding so that would be better but i saw the swath of a cut barley field yesterday....yikes.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                          • Return to Topic List
                          Working...