• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Leafy Spurge

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Leafy Spurge

If grasshas leafy spurge in it, will the cows eat it? I googled the weed and it appears that there are on-going studies on how to make cows like it because it is nutritious as alfalfa. Son hasa quarter that has a lot in it and people are desperate for feed.

Last thing you want to do is have hay with leafy spurge in it being transported across to other farms. use it on site - sheep love it.

Comment

Yeah they say sheep love it once they catch on to eating it. There is actually a leafy spurge control program using sheep through the sheep development board. I guess i should have sent you some sheep this morning. And a bunch of posts and wire too.

I don’t know much about leafy spurge. I do know fencing for sheep costs quite a bit, and my post doesn’t help you one single iota.

Comment

From time to time spurge can really pop up and be visible. In the past we would spot spray to control where we could. Tordon 22K. Most of the rm's around me are geared up to spray spots in the ditches where they see it and will go onto private land when asked to do spots tougher to get to. I have seen some real wrecks in areas where they ignored the problem. Certain beetles can do a job on spurge as well. For sure it was a problem in the dry 80's and wouldn't surprise me to see its reappearance today.

Comment

Leafy spurge was a problem in one of my fields for years. It arrived in some hay brought in by the previous landowner.

Was able to eliminate one big patch with Roundup and cultivation. The presence of groundwater meant the RM would not spray with Tordon.

Comment

interesting.

Comment

I thought goats were the weed eaters but sheep are more inclined. Turned my family “pets” into some sage patches. The one and only sheep craves that stinking crap more so than the goats. Now if I could try them on buckbrush. Hear goats eat that.

Comment

Originally posted by WiltonRanch View Post
                I thought goats were the weed eaters but sheep are more inclined. Turned my family “pets” into some sage patches. The one and only sheep craves that stinking crap more so than the goats. Now if I could try them on buckbrush. Hear goats eat that.
                Yeah sheep eat it all. The browse lines in the bush are unreal. Goats generally are more inclined to browse on woody plants higher up, but hair sheep do pretty well too.

Comment

what kind of sheep do you raise? long-legged?

Comment

Originally posted by sumdumguy View Post
                    what kind of sheep do you raise? long-legged?
                    Girasheep

Comment

University buddy was all about those hair sheep. Think he had kattadin. Remember auction barn knocked em on the head but if you’re direct marketing then the worlds your oyster. Shearing is the pits if all you have is a set of cattle clippers. Lucky Shirley is patient but it was more stressful on me than was on her.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                      • Return to Topic List
                      Working...