• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Drying grain with wheat straw?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Drying grain with wheat straw?

Apparently there's no problem that can't be solved if you throw $165 million at it.

Who here has done some digging on the logistical and handling issues if you substituted grain straw for natural gas or propane as a heat source for drying grain?

https://financialpost.com/news/economy/clean-ag https://financialpost.com/news/economy/clean-ag

I have to wonder if these alternatives are truly carbon neutral once you account for the carbon footprint of all the inputs.

Not sure about wheat straw but flax straw would be a candidate.

Comment

Sounds like we are just trading off CO2 pollution for particulate pollution.

Comment

Originally posted by ColevilleH2S View Post
        Sounds like we are just trading off CO2 pollution for particulate pollution.
        Isn't that just it... Nat Gas and Propane burn clean! Straw not so much.

But then after they spend Millions on it, they'll be able to spend Millions more making them all Tier 4 compliant!

Comment

Where we gonna get dry straw if we cant get dry grain?

Comment

Straw and Grain - this year?

Comment

Seriously , are they that stupid?

Comment

I know of a local entrepreneur who builds zero-emission burners which he markets for disposing of plastic waste. They can burn straw just as easily. The price tag starts at around $500,000.

Comment

Originally posted by Austrian Economics View Post
                  I know of a local entrepreneur who builds zero-emission burners which he markets for disposing of plastic waste. They can burn straw just as easily. The price tag starts mat around $500,000.
                  Maybe zero emissions from a pollution standpoint but the big bad CO2 is still produced in any combustion reaction. This straw burning was in other media too celebrated as a climate change solution by people with no clue. As others mentioned no where near as clean, still producing co2 and also destroying valuable organic matter, and replacing with increased fert rates where baled. Just unbelievable short sighted thinking.

Comment

Thought there was an outfit in Manitoba selling bale gasifiers for heating. Had bales on a conveyor or something. Looked elaborate and aimed at large scale heating projects. The bale idea would work for grain drying but if you don’t dry a bunch and infrequently, you’d have to work it into a whole farm heating system to justify cost. Even running an ic engine on the gas to make your electricity.
                    Costs of landing the straw and capitol cost would be atrocious plus the fact you’re exporting nutrients.

Comment

Ma Nature is drying our grain for us before it even heads out. Can’t beat that for efficiency 😉

Wonder if I could get a grant to study this…………..🍀

Comment

Originally posted by WiltonRanch View Post
                        Thought there was an outfit in Manitoba selling bale gasifiers for heating. Had bales on a conveyor or something. Looked elaborate and aimed at large scale heating projects. The bale idea would work for grain drying but if you don’t dry a bunch and infrequently, you’d have to work it into a whole farm heating system to justify cost. Even running an ic engine on the gas to make your electricity.
                        Costs of landing the straw and capitol cost would be atrocious plus the fact you’re exporting nutrients.
                        My thoughts exactly. You don't need to dry every year, and you often don't know now much you will have to. So you would have no choice but to bale enough or buy enough for a worst case scenario and then dispose of a lot of straw if you don't need it.

Comment

Originally posted by Austrian Economics View Post
                          My thoughts exactly. You don't need to dry every year, and you often don't know now much you will have to. So you would have no choice but to bale enough or buy enough for a worst case scenario and then dispose of a lot of straw if you don't need it.
                          Might make sense if you are a mixed operation and use straw already. Straw after a year or so wouldn’t be great for burning but better for cows. I could see this of some benefit to particular types of operations but it being any sort of silver bullet for the grande scheme is negligible.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                          • Return to Topic List
                          Working...