• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What cell phone stands up to farm abuse and dust?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What cell phone stands up to farm abuse and dust?

It may be time to upgrade from the trusty Blackberry classic. Too many websites just don't support this obsolete browser. Can't get any weather radar to work anymore, not even the pitiful excuse that is the new Environment Canada radar. Can't sign into RB auction, Kijiji, and countless others anymore. Anything requiring a Captcha won't work. Agriville gives me a security warning and won't let me on quite often.

My demands for a phone are simple.

Needs to have a keyboard and buttons. Unfortunately, that eliminates every phone except the Blackberries, which aren't even made at all now, so I guess this demand has to be compromised on. But how do you run a touchscreen phone with one hand while operating machinery? Or type passwords, numbers etc. that have to be exact without a keyboard?

Needs to be dust proof. These BB phones take a lot of abuse, dropped and smashed countless times without issue, but they slowly fill up with dust from my pocket. Requires complete disassembly to clean out. Speaker and microphone get plugged almost completely. Camera usually not too far behind.
    Do any of the rugged type phones keep the dust out, or have an easy way to clean it out?

Needs to fit in a pocket. How do you guys with the massive newer phones carry them around? Do you have a purse just for the phone? Belt clip ( is that still a thing even)? And the full screen phones seem to get broken a lot just riding around in pockets from pressure and abuse.

My eyesight is fine, so I don't need a giant screen, don't install any apps, don't watch videos or play games, one camera seems to be adequate for taking pictures of parts or plants. Are there any other features a new phone has that I can't live without, or apps?

What else is out there? or do I keep scouring ebay and kijiji for Blackberry's, and since it won't work with most websites soon, I'll probably get more done without the distraction of internet in my pocket.

Whatever rugged phone your provider has is really your only option unless you want to do a specialized case.

I just put my phone in my pocket with screen towards my leg, no special case. If working on a machine leave it in the cab.
    Last edited by Dr Tone; May 24, 2021, 21:33.

Comment

This happens to be a pet peeve of mine.
      I had a Samsung S5 Active in an OtterBox. Indestructible.
      Active line no longer available in Canada. We get shafted up here.
      New phones curved screen not covered by OtterBox.
      On my second CAT phone in 4 years.
      No case needed.
      Tough enough but older clunky OS. Supports everything I do though.
      Sonims clunkier yet.
      Good luck.

Comment

Was looking at the sonims a few yrs ago but then for regular non farm use they seem overkill.

Usually just use an older iphone 4 because they are small and simple with an otterbox case that I switch to something more sleek in the offseason.

IMHO the newer iphones and samsungs look too fragile for the farm even with a good case on them.

Comment

The trouble I have with the cases is that they just make the phone that much bigger and bulkier, and harder to fit into any pocket. Then how do you carry it around?

Do the cases actually block the dust out of the speaker and microphone?

I just can't figure out how those two ports could be dustproof, and still function as intended.

I had a case for my current phone which I used briefly, then chucked it out in frustration. Couldn't get it into or out of my pocket.

Had a Samsung ( I forget what model their first waterproof phone), too big, and not having buttons drove me mad, switched back to Blackberries. Not sure if it was the answer to dust or not, since the phone quit working before it could get full of dust. But after warranty expired of course.

Comment

Like pining for carburetors, you may have to adapt. I hate it too.
            Buy the work shirts with big pockets LoL

Another peeve. Hired man lives hand to mouth. $1200 phone cause you know. In a OtterBox but ya, no screen protector.
            Dropped it 3' this spring. $250 3 day repair.
            Moderately priced phones hard to buy.
            Everything Samsung is slick. But oh, no , you cant buy that model new anymore.
            This really ticks me off.
            We get screwed all around up here.

Comment

Originally posted by blackpowder View Post
              Like pining for carburetors, you may have to adapt. I hate it too.
              Buy the work shirts with big pockets LoL

Another peeve. Hired man lives hand to mouth. $1200 phone cause you know. In a OtterBox but ya, no screen protector.
              Dropped it 3' this spring. $250 3 day repair.
              Moderately priced phones hard to buy.
              Everything Samsung is slick. But oh, no , you cant buy that model new anymore.
              This really ticks me off.
              We get screwed all around up here.
              I couldn't count the number of times I've dropped my phones 3 feet or more onto hard sharp objects without a problem.
              Hired help lost his into into a grain bin a few years ago. There were a lot of pieces came out the other end of the grain vac eventually.

Maybe I need to quit picking roots and rocks, since that is when I fill my pockets with dust, which wrecks the phones.

Comment

Originally posted by jazz View Post
                Was looking at the sonims a few yrs ago but then for regular non farm use they seem overkill.

Usually just use an older iphone 4 because they are small and simple with an otterbox case that I switch to something more sleek in the offseason.

IMHO the newer iphones and samsungs look too fragile for the farm even with a good case on them.
                What is an off season? This is a foreign concept to me.

The Sonim smart phone looks more reasonable than some, not quite so massive, the ability to function in loud environments is a big plus.

Comment

Well I know the I phone no good after being dropped into an ice fishing hole for a month then retrieved during the off season .
                  Dam thing would not turn on again .

Comment

I bought a used iphone 8. put a new battery in it and really like it. Use a good case with glass screen protector and then use the wireless charging. Keep the plug in port covered with the case and never worry about it as I usewireless charging.

Used phones are pretty bullet proof today.

Comment

Best thing you can do is get a phone you like, and then not use it...

But in all seriousness, When trucking I got VERY used to a headset for talking on, and so the phone always sat in the ashtray right next to the wireless booster antenna. You could keep your headset on while loading, shoveling a bin, hooking/unhooking, etc...

It was a learned habit while trucking, that has now become standard for me. Phone sits in a cradle all the time when I'm in a tractor, or on the desk when I'm in the shop. If I'm out and about, it usually gets stuffed into a breast pocket that either buttons up, or has a velcro flap on it like oilpatch coveralls.

In another sense its kind of liberating. If the phone dings with a text message or notification, I'll check it when I have a free moment, and not have to dig it out of my pocket to look when I'm doing something hands on out of the tractor/shop/office. If they REALLY want to get ahold of me they can call and i'll answer it with the headset. New headsets are impressive for comfort as well as noise cancelling ability. You can talk on them while you're mowing the lawn, or standing beside an auger motor at full throttle and everyone wonders why the hell you're yelling!

Samsung S8 thats going on 5 years now.

Before that it was a 4 year old S5 that I loved, but one morning the screen just decided to shit the bed.

Have a brand new (now 3 years old) S9 that's still in the box that I got a decent deal on with the last renewal contract. By the time I need it, maybe it wont even be able to connect anymore?

Comment

And there's the crux.
                        Watching someone I'm paying $30 an hour juggle his phone while "working" with both hands. All day. Ah well.

Comment

Or smart watch will let you know what’s important enough to dig the phone out.

Comment

AF5- Wow guess they were wrong at every phone store I have talked to in recent years. They tell me I am the only one that wants a smaller phone, that bigger is better because it does so much more, and by the way 4 or 6 cameras is much better than 1. Now there is 2 of us!

I want a tough, small, water proof phone, that can text, take pictures, check weather, email and basic internet but most important is I need one with reception. They tell me they are putting poorer antennas in the phones also cause the calling aspect has taken a backseat to the other features. Every phone I have traded to usually because I lost or broke the last has had worse reception. One to fit nicely in your pocket would be nice again, doing too many different tasks around the farm belt clips dont work. It's basically a business and safety necessity to have it with you nowadays. Those sonim ones do look tough but big and heavy and they aren't cheap with mixed reviews.

Anyone see those Canadian made Focal glasses, they are pretty cool too, dont think they work as a phone but they put all your internet usage as a hologram on the lens that only you can see but otherwise are regular prescription glasses. Just like out of Iron Man or a Bond movie. My 9yr old has glasses and wants them.

Comment

Is there one?

My Galaxys just keep getting bigger and that's not good. With the otterbox it's almost like stuffing an Ipad in your pocket. 3 1/4: x 6 3/8".

Former one was under 3 x 6. And it had grown over the one before that.

But the otterbox saved it a time or two, so... the screen protector is cracked already within 4 months of getting it, so I guess that just paid itself back very handsomely.

Kind of a love-hate relationship with them. But try going out the door without it...

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...