• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

EV bullshit , fact checking

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by chuckChuck View Post
    Health care and saftey nets for those who can't take care of themselves.

Imagine the economic impact of poor health care if people who are sick can't get treatment? When sick people can't work, don't pay taxes or spend much money and can't make much a contribution, this would have a negative impact on the economy.

What happens to a farm when the person who does most of the management and work gets sick and nobody else can easily step into replace them? Imagine if this happens a lot in a country with poor health care. Good healthcare is important for a strong economy.
    Amd so is vibrant wealth creating industry to pay for the health care .... money don’t grow on trees

Comment

You need both good healthcare for a strong economy and a strong economy for good healthcare. They work together.

Good education is also very important for a strong economy. Both education and healthcare are the top 2 largest provincial expenditures by far.

Comment

Originally posted by tweety View Post
        Like Jazz, I also heard from an oil exec that the keystone XL pipeline would bring riches to Alberta, it would make electric vehicles be taken back to the horse age. That oil would be THE resource. No point getting anything electric, our future in oil is now.

Now imagine if Kenny would have spent 1.3 billion + loan guarantees on rechargeable infrastructure - or frankly anything else? Oh right, tax payer subsidies on oil and lost causes are just fine with low IQ Agriville.
        I have a relative who has purchased an electric car. She was excited about the fact that there were charging stations where she could recharge her car for free. What I don’t understand is why proponents of electric cars feel government(so taxpayers) should supply this recharging infrastructure and at present doing it for free? First government subsidizes the purchase of the car, then supplies the energy to run it, how will government eventually recover the costs?

Comment

Originally posted by ALBERTAFARMER4 View Post
          When the model T came out did we just say "well guess no one's going to build nice paved roads and gas stations everywhere so I guess we'll just go back to horses!" ?

Also, the average Canadian drives 15200km/year. That's about 42km/day. 42km @ 180Wh/km (120km/h on the highway averaged out for the year) and adjusted for 88% charge efficiency would be an energy cost of 8.6kWh or $1.72/day. You think that the average person using an extra $1.72 of electricity per day would break the grid?
          When the model T came out did the government build gas stations and supply gasoline for free like like they are now for electric cars?

Comment

Originally posted by Hamloc View Post
            I have a relative who has purchased an electric car. She was excited about the fact that there were charging stations where she could recharge her car for free. What I don’t understand is why proponents of electric cars feel government(so taxpayers) should supply this recharging infrastructure and at present doing it for free? First government subsidizes the purchase of the car, then supplies the energy to run it, how will government eventually recover the costs?
            How is that any different than all the subsidies, support and incentives given to the oil and gas industry?

How does the government recoup its investment in highways or any public infrastructure?

Many of the charging stations are pay stations. Some are free. Its early days and the rebates and incentives are there to speed up change. Over time the subsidies and incentives won't be needed.

Comment

You need both good healthcare for a strong economy and a strong economy for good healthcare. They work together.

Good education is also very important for a strong economy. Both education and healthcare are the top 2 largest provincial expenditures by far.
              Yup and something real has to pay for that , not unicorns and leprechauns

Comment

When the model T came out did the government build gas stations and supply gasoline for free like like they are now for electric cars?
                Probably not. But they built the roads for cars. Taxpayers paid for subsidizing those and still does.

And the auto industry receives bailouts and tax breaks just so states and provinces can attract their investments in manufacturing.

Comment

Originally posted by furrowtickler View Post
                  Yup and something real has to pay for that , not unicorns and leprechauns
                  Yeah and Canada is one of the richest countries in the world per capita has one the strongest most diverse economies. So we can afford to have good healthcare and education.

Comment

Yeah and Canada is one of the richest countries in the world per capita has one the strongest most diverse economies. So we can afford to have good healthcare and education.
                    At one time you were right

Comment

Hamloc, surprised you even asked the question being from Alberta.

Not concerned about the 1.3 Billion dollars subsidy Kenny forked out being recovered?

Bit of a double standard?

Not to mention the 100,000 orphaned wells sitting around waiting to be cleaned up.

Wasted taxpayers money is not exceptable regardless for what industry!
                      Last edited by foragefarmer; Jun 14, 2021, 11:08.

Comment

Hamloc has the blinders on! Its often the Albertan way of thinking. "We got oil. We are smarter and harder working than everyone else!" And we don't need no government help! But we don't mind if taxpayers pay for the well cleanup! LOL

Comment

Originally posted by foragefarmer View Post

Not concerned about the 1.3 Billion dollars subsidy Kenny forked out being recovered?

Not to mention the 100,000 orphaned wells sitting around waiting to be cleaned up.

Am I disappointed about the $1.3 billion loss on Keystone XL, absolutely.

I will be honest I thought it was a reasonable gamble at the time.

As for orphaned wells, there is absolutely no doubt that the Alberta government should have had different rules for cleaning up these wells. Definitely should be payed for by the oil companies not taxpayers. I look at oil leases on my land as a future liability not an asset.

But here is the question Forage, if Keystone XL had been completed it would have returned revenue to the government, what revenue is generated from supplying free charging stations? What is the business case in which they will make money?

Comment

You last sentence speaks very very loud with the current Liberals and government handouts everywhere

Comment

Am I disappointed about the $1.3 billion loss on Keystone XL, absolutely.

I will be honest I thought it was a reasonable gamble at the time.

As for orphaned wells, there is absolutely no doubt that the Alberta government should have had different rules for cleaning up these wells. Definitely should be payed for by the oil companies not taxpayers. I look at oil leases on my land as a future liability not an asset.

But here is the question Forage, if Keystone XL had been completed it would have returned revenue to the government, what revenue is generated from supplying free charging stations? What is the business case in which they will make money?
                              Regarding the third paragraph, the key word is "IF"

Kenny was betting on a Trump victory, as Biden said all along Keystone was dead, he decided to roll the dice with Albertan's tax dollars. To Kenny your money was the House's money.

As for the free charging stations, that's only going last for so long. Nothings free. As more EVs hit the road, major cities and parking lots will start charging to plug in. Privately owned parking lots will definitely start charging that's a given.

Just my opinion

Comment

Regarding the third paragraph, the key word is "IF"

Kenny was betting on a Trump victory, as Biden said all along Keystone was dead, he decided to roll the dice with Albertan's tax dollars. To Kenny your money was the House's money.

As for the free charging stations, that's only going last for so long. Nothings free. As more EVs hit the road, major cities and parking lots will start charging to plug in. Privately owned parking lots will definitely start charging that's a given.

Just my opinion
                                Stand alone EV's are in themselves not going to have a major on CO2 levels...

However, The EV practical effect will be many less miles traveled... which overall will reduce personal travel by more than 50%...[within 10 years] and those people under 30 have already made a large shift in this direction. The Covid effect sped up this by a decade easy. Online shopping, smaller families, the social stigma of energy consumption demonization, entertainment using Virtual Reality, and internet based communication all change entertainment, socialization... and how we will reduce personal contact [reducing travel and how we will do future business] in our daily personal and work lives.

This is different, not bad in itself, but could create new greater mental health problems as society/civilization further de-socialzes.

It is a brave new world!

Cheers

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...