• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Durum is dragging. ..

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Durum is dragging. ..

Pretty rare to see new crop wheat worth more than durum....

When you couple acreage shift to high priced canola and better price for wheat ....is it at the expense of durum?

This qualifies for a marketing thread ...right?

Originally posted by bucket View Post
    Pretty rare to see new crop wheat worth more than durum....

When you couple acreage shift to high priced canola and better price for wheat ....is it at the expense of durum?

This qualifies for a marketing thread ...right?

If I recall you farm in SW Sk, which is a durum growing area. Are you going to grow any durum? Sounds like an opportunity. Do the opposite of everybody else.

Are you still very dry?

Comment

Originally posted by foragefarmer View Post
      If I recall you farm in SW Sk, which is a durum growing area. Are you going to grow any durum? Sounds like an opportunity. Do the opposite of everybody else.

Are you still very dry?
      Yes durum and wheat...durum has the ability to survive a drought with its longer season but it has to start first...therein lies the first hurdle.

And yes very dry....the snowbanks that formed in those last two wind/snowstorms that created 8 foot banks in the tree rows are not melting out very far...the water from them is being vacuumed into the ground not more than 20 feet.

Comment

Durum--good profit center for grain merchants. Maybe it's subsidizing wheat?

Comment

Is corn driving wheat prices up?

Pretty hard to bring corn into Canada with corn at 6.30 USD on the exchange. Thats close to 8 bucks CDN Plus freight .

Comment

Canola $20, lentils mid .30's, Flax in the stratosphere and they think I'm gonna grow durum for $8.50. Like hello McFly. Have they seen what costs have done?
            Last edited by biglentil; Apr 22, 2021, 07:12.

Comment

Originally posted by biglentil View Post
              Canola $20 and they think I'm gonna grow durum for $8.50. Like hello McFly.
              I like your thinking...how many durum acres are you dropping? They might be begging for durum come fall...

By June 1st it will be too late to raise durum prices to get acres ...then the cards are in the farmers hands.

Comment

It’s quite simple, there’s a huge bumper crop coming in Morocco, was reading its 3x last years.
                Merchants lower the prices to make more profits = thieves!!
                I don’t know if acres are going to fall much.
                How much risk are guys going to take on canola with a potential drought looming. Then again most say their crop insurance pays the best on canola so more may go in. I’m not growing an acre.

Durum acres in the states are to go down a little, but likely won’t affect prices. Farmers always said wheat was a filler crop, durum isn’t much better.

Comment

Originally posted by biglentil View Post
                  Canola $20, lentils mid .30's, Flax in the stratosphere and they think I'm gonna grow durum for $8.50. Like hello McFly. Have they seen what costs have done?
                  Durum yeilded 60bu here last yr but it took every last drop of moisture we had to bring it through. At $8.50 a bu I think its still pretty profitable. We wont be adjusting our rotation. Seeding the same as last yr.

Comment

In a drought year, HRS wheat will fill better than durum, seen years where the top 1/3 of durum heads turns white. Durum doesn't stool on dry years either. If you're dry, HRS is the best bet.

Comment

Originally posted by beaverdam View Post
                      In a drought year, HRS wheat will fill better than durum, seen years where the top 1/3 of durum heads turns white. Durum doesn't stool on dry years either. If you're dry, HRS is the best bet.
                      The other thing I find is HRS or CPS is much easier to get higher quality in most cases. AD standards are much higher. So #1 CWRS and #2 or #3 CWAD prices are a better comparison.

Comment

Originally posted by jazz View Post
                        Durum yeilded 60bu here last yr but it took every last drop of moisture we had to bring it through. At $8.50 a bu I think its still pretty profitable. We wont be adjusting our rotation. Seeding the same as last yr.
                        You must of had more moisture than we did 40bus was a big durum crop here.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                        • Return to Topic List
                        Working...