• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Nitrogen Inhibitors

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nitrogen Inhibitors

Just looking for input. I run a old single shoot Maxim single shoot air drill. 7.5" spacing and 3" opener.
    Used a combination of ESN and urea in the past and top dressed accordingly. Wondering if anyone had dribble banded 28-0-0-0 ahead of the drill just prior to seeding. I would be able to increase the total N for same cost if I replaced the ESN ($150/mt premium). I think I should have enough incorporation to reduce volatilization or is this still a high risk with short term rainfall? Would fan tip nozzles work or would streaming nozzles be required to reduce N loss?

How much 28-0-0-0 could you put with a pre-burn and not have problems with chemistry of different pre-burn options? or is this not a possibility?

Took a look a product material but doesn't really touch on any of this.

we stream all our N on in about 2 passes one prior seeding and once after in crop spraying. Add a carbon source in with the N we use a humate product you can also use molasses

Comment

Check out Contain from Ag Explore for 28. Or Agrotain plus I think it is called now for inhibitors. Fairly reasonable, far cheaper than ESN .
      Stream nozzles work by far more effective that flat fan . Tee Jet Tri streams probably the cheapest for non in crop streaming
      If you plan to stream in crop , Needham stream bars are better

You can also stream on N after seeding or later in crop if you run out of time or have moisture concerns before seeding .

Some guys “melt” 46 and stream that on , it can be a cheaper rout if you want to do the process.

I only use flat fans with liquid S with burn off , N can get too tied up with straw with flat fans .

Comment

Acording to University of North Dakota trials ATS (12-0-0-26S I think) stabilizes well at a 10% mixture with 28-0-0.
        Last edited by biglentil; Apr 18, 2021, 22:05.

Comment

Originally posted by furrowtickler View Post
          Check out Contain from Ag Explore for 28. Or Agrotain plus I think it is called now for inhibitors. Fairly reasonable, far cheaper than ESN .
          Stream nozzles work by far more effective that flat fan . Tee Jet Tri streams probably the cheapest for non in crop streaming
          If you plan to stream in crop , Needham stream bars are better

You can also stream on N after seeding or later in crop if you run out of time or have moisture concerns before seeding .

Some guys “melt” 46 and stream that on , it can be a cheaper rout if you want to do the process.

I only use flat fans with liquid S with burn off , N can get too tied up with straw with flat fans .
          Isn't melted 46-0-0 mainly used for foliar application with flat fans.

Comment

Yes, but I know a few that are streaming it as well

Comment

Can anyone explain the theory behind liquid fertilizer being streamed on.

My understanding is that there isn't remotely close to enough water with it to wash it in, so it is just as vulnerable to losses as would be plain urea on the surface. And that is backed up by what the experts in the field tell me.

Fertigation would be a completely different story of course.

Seems like a lot of money to spend with uncertain results, unless you know of a better forecaster than I do?

Everytime I have ever tried to topdress, I plan around the weather, and either there never is a window, or there is one forecast, but it is a bust. Or the ground is so wet it would just make ruts everywhere. Perhaps others experiences are different.

Comment

Originally posted by AlbertaFarmer5 View Post

My understanding is that there isn't remotely close to enough water with it to wash it in, so it is just as vulnerable to losses as would be plain urea on the surface. And that is backed up by what the experts in the field tell me.

Seems like a lot of money to spend with uncertain results, unless you know of a better forecaster than I do?

Everytime I have ever tried to topdress, I plan around the weather, and either there never is a window, or there is one forecast, but it is a bust. Or the ground is so wet it would just make ruts everywhere. Perhaps others experiences are different.
                Hence the use of inhibitors. 28-0-0 is 50% urea 50% Ammonium Nitrate (very stable) so actually less volatile than 46-0-0 right off the hop. Streaming on top is not ideal, pulling a liquid cart and banding is definitely preferable.

Comment

Originally posted by AlbertaFarmer5 View Post

I think the theory works in areas where it is dry. When you can’t count on rain, it makes sense to split apply probably. Here, it rains.

Comment

Contain still adds $80mt to urea not sure about liquid. ESN has the opportunity to be seed placed, where as all the material on inhibitors is around surface application. One could assume if it is successful at reducing volatilization should be safe at higher rates seed placed as well. Rain after any application is always most critical piece/

Comment

I seed with 28-0-0.
                      4" paired row, liq in the center.
                      If you're able to switch you'll never go back.
                      Going to try Agrotain in it this year.
                      All I have to go on is what the literature claims. My theory is to make it a little safer and slower release. ??

Comment

12 0 0 26 thio sul gives some nitrogen inhibiter effect probably good enough if you dribble in front of the drill but not for high rates of seed place if you arn't confident in your seed/fertilizer seperation.
                        Everything works with lots of moisture to dilute it but delayed or poor emegence can be an issue in dry seed beds.
                        The thio sul is basicly low to no cost as you get the extra fertility.

Comment

I used to single shoot upwards of 50#. Soil is clay and moisture adequate which helps. Once I went ahead of the canola with the urea and just made enough of a mark with the spoons so I could see. Crop turned out better than the fallow seeded. I know of a guy who dribbled nh3 in front or behind shovels on the air seeder doing wheat, and he says it worked well. If you have moisture anything works. When dry placement is critical. Seed placed is risky but a lb in the trench is worth 2 blown on top.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                          • Return to Topic List
                          Working...