• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Iveco, Cummins, Cat.

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Im afraid all the new equipment will be garbage way before it should be with all the electronics. Manufacturers only have to produce parts for them for 10 years then its just old parts inventory or aftermarket parts builders. The sad part of the whole deal is that the engine the mechanical side doesn’t have to last more than 10000 hrs because the electronics will be shot by then.

Comment

One thing I'm thinking on the newer engines is that regular Oil Sampling is likely more important now than ever.

You can't see any changes in exhaust because of after treatment devices, and you can't see a change in blow-by because it's filtered and returned to the pan.

Send all mine away to Cat's SOS sampling program. Old mechanical engines never seem to show much, but newer(2005) C15 has shown fuel in the oil (so changed fuel pump), and a spike in copper once (changed out 2 cam followers, and the cam itself which were scored and starting to peel ever so slightly. The cam and followers really didn't owe me anything as they both had 25,000+ hours on them. Had I left, especially the latter, it likely would have caused pre-mature engine failure.

Especially if you're running longer oil changes, or changing the filter 2 or 3 times before dropping the oil, you should be tracking what's happening in your engine so you don't get surprised.

Comment

You said it. Needed cam for the 9380. Had to go with used. Found four. In NA.
        There is however, a guy in AL who makes parts for the standard trannys. They sold those in the STXs.
        Parts availability has really changed on anything past 15 yrs old.

Comment

Been sampling for 30 years, saved a couple of expensive repairs. Best engine samples were on 2003 Sterling with a non EGR Mercedes MBE 4000. 17000 kms, probably 4-500 hrs, per change. Rest of truck poor. A 12.5L in a 1998 JD 9300 was always good, used a couple L's in 300 hours, no emissions of course. Real black oil in a 2005 7920 after 300 hours still okay?
          Last edited by fjlip; Apr 18, 2021, 11:25.

Comment

I still like the Cummins over the Iveco if you plan on keeping for a while .
            You can generally run a Cummins at lower RPM .
            We just were shopping for a 500 hp used tractor . Case with the smaller displacement Iveco or a Vers with the 15 l Cummins. Went with the Cummins, good or bad we will see but still believe the bigger hp tractors need big displacement.
            Still run our original case 9270 with the 855 , over 11,000 hrs . Hard to beat reliability if those big Cummins. Many other smaller displacement engines .org that time are not running today .
            Agree with these 620-700 hp engines that are tuned , pushing that for very long will lead to issues .
            They should have at least 16-18 l engines pushing that h if your looking at keeping for well over 5000 hrs .
            But there is not a lot of Ivecos out there yet with over 5000 hrs so who knows they may be ok .

Comment

Encouraged by the stories of the 855.

Comment

Oh, they can be good for sure. Built the company.
                Best value for me moving forward will be <3000 hrs. Wish I had known that when I started.
                Payments are cheaper than repairs these days.

Comment

Originally posted by Sheepwheat View Post
                  Encouraged by the stories of the 855.
                  none better

Comment

on the oil change comment, saw a lot of flyers coming now touting push lawnmowers that never need oil changes??????
                    dumb sheep everywhere are soaking this shit up and believing it ??
                    what could possibly go wrong , foam air cleaner running in dirt all the time ? good if your selling them i guess.
                    what a stupid wasteful throw away society we have become
                    parts are gonna bring us to our knees
                    Last edited by Guest; Apr 18, 2021, 12:15.

Comment

Most new push lawnmowers won't have any oil in them to filter. there just like your cordless drill. Didn't JD have a mower engine that the oil filter held all the oil and you just changed the filter?

Comment

See ! we went from 500 hp to 3.5 hp that was easy. Still lots of big tractors to buy online before May first you would think they might get cheaper.Still dry here and -10.

Comment

Don't let this derail this thread just seemed fitting.
                          Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20210418-181927_TikTok.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	76.5 KB
ID:	770966

Comment

No sure how long they will run but, the iveco sure is quiet, smooth running engine.
                            Sure is cheap on fuel compared to the Deere's we had..
                            Puma 165 with 300 hrs , the oil is clear like it was just changed..

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                            • Return to Topic List
                            Working...