• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tapped the maples.

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Click image for larger version

Name:	8A658BB8-7D5E-4C2C-BF73-CE4E74767039.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	18.7 KB
ID:	770927

Jar one finished product.

Sorry for the sideways pictures.

Comment

So awesome, red leaf!

Comment

I got about 15-20 liters from the 10 taps over 36hr period. Results from the boil was about 550ml of dark maple syrup that was much thicker consistency then Costco Kirkland organic maple syrup. This might be due to boiling off more water then is standard.

Tested flavour against Costco Kirkland organic maple syrup and it was very similar.

According to the little bit of Info i could find online regarding syrup Color and grade, dark maple syrup is considered good quality in the maple syrup business. It is typically the result of late season sap and tends to result in a more robust flavoured syrup then earlier season sap.

Comment

[QUOTE=workboots;492503]I got about 15-20 liters from the 10 taps over 36hr period. Results from the boil was about 550ml of dark maple syrup

I would say that’s a pretty good ratio. I think it took around 40 litres here for half litre of syrup. What area are you tapping trees in workboots ?

Comment

Mmmmmmm now you need some fried eggs, bacon, and a waffle to go with it and you’re set. Yum😋

For Christmas I got a couple bags of maple sugar granules and it’s great to throw on toast or popcorn.

I admire everyone who has the patience to do this. Good job.

Comment

SE SK

My volume estimate on syrup could be a smidge high but no way I boiled over 20L.

Comment

I tapped Manitoba maples but it takes a lot of patience. And a lot of boiling. Not as sweet as Que. maples but very good tasting.

Comment

When tapping is done and you remove your hose, how do you deal with the drain holes?

Do you hammer in a wooden plug?

Would you notice any bad side effects to your tree if your in a dryer area and it also happens to be a dryer year?

Do you drill your holes to the center core?

Comment

Originally posted by beaverdam View Post
                    When tapping is done and you remove your hose, how do you deal with the drain holes?

Do you hammer in a wooden plug?

Would you notice any bad side effects to your tree if your in a dryer area and it also happens to be a dryer year?

Do you drill your holes to the center core?
                    You do nothing, the trees self heal. No side effects, each tap takes such a minimal and unmeasurable amount of the total sap the tree needs.

You drill the holes maybe an inch and a half deep.

Comment

Originally posted by woodland View Post
                      Mmmmmmm now you need some fried eggs, bacon, and a waffle to go with it and you’re set. Yum😋

For Christmas I got a couple bags of maple sugar granules and it’s great to throw on toast or popcorn.

I admire everyone who has the patience to do this. Good job.
                      There is not much for patience involved honestly. Ten minutes go drill some holes and tap som taps in. Five minutes collect sap. Get sap boiling, do something else while it boils down. As it gets close to finishing, this is where i suppose you need patience, or at least proper attention so you don’t wreck it.

Get the kids on it. That’s what us lazy folks do!

Comment

Originally posted by Sheepwheat View Post
                        There is not much for patience involved honestly. Ten minutes go drill some holes and tap som taps in. Five minutes collect sap. Get sap boiling, do something else while it boils down. As it gets close to finishing, this is where i suppose you need patience, or at least proper attention so you don’t wreck it.

Get the kids on it. That’s what us lazy folks do!
                        "Close to finishing" is indeed where you need patience, no supposing about it!!!

It can go bad pretty quickly once it gets to the fines bubbles point and when you get the big, lazy bubbles stage you might be closer to taffy than syrup.

We always used a candy thermometer as a guide and when it reached 219, it was finished.

But that figure was not fixed as the boiling point of water varies with atmospheric pressure and would need to be adjusted for the conditions of the day by checking the boiling point of water at that particular time.

We had more than one "accident" over the years by not paying close attention when it was close to finished and went too long. With a wood-fired system, it wasn't possible to just turn the dial and shut the heat off, so we had to stoke the firebox accordingly, usually meaning that we used very light sticks that would generate a lot of heat quickly and then burn out just as fast.

It makes for a pretty sick feeling to see the bottom of the evaporator pan covered in brown or black tar...

Comment

Originally posted by burnt View Post
                          "Close to finishing" is indeed where you need patience, no supposing about it!!!

It can go bad pretty quickly once it gets to the fines bubbles point and when you get the big, lazy bubbles stage you might be closer to taffy than syrup.

We always used a candy thermometer as a guide and when it reached 219, it was finished.

But that figure was not fixed as the boiling point of water varies with atmospheric pressure and would need to be adjusted for the conditions of the day by checking the boiling point of water at that particular time.

We had more than one "accident" over the years by not paying close attention when it was close to finished and went too long. With a wood-fired system, it wasn't possible to just turn the dial and shut the heat off, so we had to stoke the firebox accordingly, usually meaning that we used very light sticks that would generate a lot of heat quickly and then burn out just as fast.

It makes for a pretty sick feeling to see the bottom of the evaporator pan covered in brown or black tar...
                          I have a black tar wreck every year. It ain’t syrup season without one it seems.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                          • Return to Topic List
                          Working...