• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ice fishing.

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ice fishing.

Rather than hijack other thread question from me.

How do you guys know were to cut the hole in the ice and catch the fish or it’s hit and miss or fish finders used?.

How deep is the ice you have to cut through 24 even 36 inches?

The fish obviously hungry in depths of winter.

Originally posted by malleefarmer View Post

How do you guys know were to cut the hole in the ice and catch the fish or it’s hit and miss or fish finders used?.

Yes you use the fish finder to find where you want to drill a hole to fish from. Then you drill a series of holes in a pattern to herd them towards the bait. Just have to be careful not to get them going too fast or they swim right by your bait.

Comment

30 in of ice here. About normal considering not much real cold weather.
      Most go to the place they were last year and start from there.
      Try figure what depth of water they are at by watching everyone around you.
      Walleye fishing has been shitty here but but big pike have been better.

Comment

Good eating fish?

And no doubt you can catch em during summer

Comment

Don’t let them fool you Mallee, ice fishing time is mainly rum drinking time with the odd, and I mean odd bite. That’s at least my recollection of it, anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by LEP View Post
            Yes you use the fish finder to find where you want to drill a hole to fish from. Then you drill a series of holes in a pattern to herd them towards the bait. Just have to be careful not to get them going too fast or they swim right by your bait.
            Nothing like a bit of experience to solve the fast fish problem. Number one, we just use bigger hooks and more bait. Makes it more tempting for them, you know? Number two, the closer to the actual fishing hole, the shorter and smaller stir stick you should use. Doesn't get them so excited...

Somehow we always end up with a bunch of suckers, not pickerel. If you go really deep, you might be into bass.

Don't shoot me.

Comment

Generally mark spots in summer
              Some guys GPS certain areas
              Most ice fishing done along drop offs, ledges or under water humps .
              Different species of fish can be in different depths .
              About 40 in ice here now
              Cameras can be handy to see what they are doing or biting. Get to see how they react to different hooks and bait

Comment

Originally posted by RD414 View Post
                Don’t let them fool you Mallee, ice fishing time is mainly rum drinking time with the odd, and I mean odd bite. That’s at least my recollection of it, anyway.
                Commonly referred to as a delivery system for alcohol!

Nobody goes without some tasties. Passes the time when the fish arn't playing.

Comment

Originally posted by shtferbrains View Post
                  Commonly referred to as a delivery system for alcohol!

Nobody goes without some tasties. Passes the time when the fish arn't playing.
                  It depends on the weather, the air temperature and the season. Fish activity is not always the same.

Comment

How many fishermen have fallen in the hole?

Comment

guy i know was scuba diving under the ice in BC
                      some drunk fishermen shit their pants when they sunk a whisky bottle in hole and he shot it back up the hole

Comment

does anyone make a depth finder that works through ice to find the ledges?

Comment

Originally posted by malleefarmer View Post

Got not a bad one today finally..

Let er go , my biggest one through the ice

Comment

Nice one.

Comment

Originally posted by caseih View Post
                              does anyone make a depth finder that works through ice to find the ledges?
                              Yep I have a Showdown flasher that will do that...

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...