• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Another day, another straw board scam.

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by wmoebis View Post
    I was wondering why they wouldn't build closer to irrigated land? Think the gov'ts both Fed and Provincial are supporting irrigation.
    Maybe not enough wheat in the rotations? Up here it’s mainly just the big three plus some peas, not a lot of crop variety. Close enough to irrigated to use the wheat they grow, but still in an area that is more wheat focused.

Comment

Originally posted by wmoebis View Post
      I was wondering why they wouldn't build closer to irrigated land? Think the gov'ts both Fed and Provincial are supporting irrigation.
      20 years ago, the red river valley was the best place to build a straw plant due to the lush growing conditions and problems dealing with excess straw. Back then most farmers windrowed the straw and burned it. but with ever growing burning restrictions and the advent of better straw management, vt's, protills, and bigger stronger combines that pulverize the straw, there is little burning here now, most straw is worked back into the land, some custom baler crews around for USA straw markets, mushrooms, etc. I cant see a plant in Alberta being feasible nowadays, there wont be enough farmers willing to supply it for a reasonable cost to the straw plant.

Comment

Years ago hopped on a bus to tour
        One near Foresburg. The samples in
        The office looked great. But they were from Germany. The board they were pressing out looked pretty sad
        Lots of bad batches laying everywhere .
        Somebody got to sell a lot of machines, and fancy glue.
        Luckily it went under before anyone around here got suckered in.
        I asked why they were not running that day. And why all the reject. The man said wheat kernels in the straw screwed up the process , had to be removed before pressing.and it was difficult.
        I suggested they not get straw from John Deere owners.
        Last edited by sawfly1; Mar 9, 2021, 19:36.

Comment

I'm roughly 40 miles west of the area. I would venture a guess that last year 80% of cereal acres baled here. Monster stacks of big squares on every quarter. Been more and more bales every year. I was sure guys would get stuck with it by spring but the stacks are mostly gone and I got neighbours pestering me for my bales as running short for bedding. Just amazing where it all went. Some years I sell a bit but try to just bale what I need and chop the rest.

Comment

Also west of the area the plant is going in. Like others have said, most of the straw is already being baled to the west and exported over seas or to Ontario and Quebec. The price the plant is offering for the straw dropped seems like enough but what they are offering to bale and stack didn’t seem like enough to entice me to bale for them. They also claimed they want the straw fairly dry and either shedded or tarped. I have a few customers I sell to already that need really dry straw. There is a lot of years in this area where there is only a handful of days to get the straw dry enough especially when most farmers are using dryers now and dropping really wet straw. Sounds like they plan on having an incredible amount of balers and stackers running themselves but it will still be interesting to see if they can bale the amount of they want.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
            • Return to Topic List
            Working...