• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Too much cheap food ....

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Too much cheap food ....

https://www.ctvnews.ca/climate-and-environment/shift-to-plant-based-diets-is-key-to-saving-world-s-wildlife-report-1.5296018

The pressure is on livestock as well ...

Originally posted by furrowtickler View Post
    https://www.ctvnews.ca/climate-and-environment/shift-to-plant-based-diets-is-key-to-saving-world-s-wildlife-report-1.5296018

This grinds my gears............

My cows out grazing slough grass for the summer and eating tough light “unmarketable” oats for the winter ............. are they “planet killers” or just upgrading inedible fibre into nutritious protein? If they are so nasty should the queen be held accountable (environmentally and fiscally) for the herds of 70 elk, 25 deer, and thousands of ducks that I’m currently feeding against my will and receiving no compensation for.................

Hmmmmmm?

Comment

Maybe our scientists should get tout of the govt funded ivory towers and take a look around. Meat is about the most expensive food group you can buy and its still consumed. There is no source of protein to replace it unless you want to eat a bushel of lentils everyday. And i am not about to eat insects either like the UN wants.

And if you want a plant based diet, well most people are already doing that too eating huge amounts of pasta and carbs and you can see what that is doing.

For the world to convert to a vegetable and pulse protein diet would mean mass starvation in the millions.

Comment

I recall so clearly when I was a kid and further on how the people of the Soviet Union were said to be kept subjugated in the dark by the very powerful Communist propaganda machine.

The same was and is true in Communist China. And North Korea. And Communist Cuba.

And now add Canada and the U.S.A to the list, more so now that Trump is disposed of.

And I had to wonder - how can the people not see past the lies just based on what they are experiencing?

Look around us here in the West today, and we have our answer to the question on the amazing efficiency of propaganda fooling enough of a majority of the people to take a country from a position of wealth to poverty in less than one generation.

And while it is largely a product of the leftist Liberal side, the right wing of the political spectrum has swung so far left of center that it is now also complicit.

Reference: Erin O'Toole, O'Fool #2.

Comment

Originally posted by jazz View Post
          Maybe our scientists should get tout of the govt funded ivory towers and take a look around. Meat is about the most expensive food group you can buy and its still consumed. There is no source of protein to replace it unless you want to eat a bushel of lentils everyday. And i am not about to eat insects either like the UN wants.

And if you want a plant based diet, well most people are already doing that too eating huge amounts of pasta and carbs and you can see what that is doing.

For the world to convert to a vegetable and pulse protein diet would mean mass starvation in the millions.
          What is the basis for your last sentence?

It isn't all wrong - our daughter is a nurse in a 3rd world country where the staple is mealy-meal, or ground maize (white corn) - 3 meals a day. Cooked into a pasty texture, rolled into little round nuggets in your hand and dipped into a sauce du jour, eaten with your fingers. Rather bland, but pretty good.

In the hospital where she works in paeds, it is not uncommon to have little ones come in with severe malnutrition, a result of not having enough protein or vitamins. Shockingly horrific stories of their physical condition, like the 6 year old who arrived nearly dead, weighing 20 pounds.

And they might arrive with a belly full of mealy-meal.

So this is what we may have to look forward to, compliments of ideological, self enriching morons at the head of government.

Comment

Originally posted by burnt View Post

It isn't all wrong - our daughter is a nurse in a 3rd world country where the staple is mealy-meal, or ground maize (white corn) - 3 meals a day. Cooked into a pasty texture, rolled into little round nuggets in your hand and dipped into a sauce du jour, eaten with your fingers. Rather bland, but pretty good.

In the hospital where she works in paeds, it is not uncommon to have little ones come in with severe malnutrition, a result of not having enough protein or vitamins. Shockingly horrific stories of their physical condition, like the 6 year old who arrived nearly dead, weighing 20 pounds.

And they might arrive with a belly full of mealy-meal.

So this is what we may have to look forward to, compliments of ideological, self enriching morons at the head of government.
            The only reason people are starving in this world is because governments want them to....THere is plenty of food , its just that people like the billionaires don't want to feed them they want to profit from it...

While Trudeau hands outs 100s of millions for foreign aid...it never seems that it helps feed anyone but Trust funds...

Comment

Originally posted by burnt View Post
              Pulse protein on a yield basis is half of what grains are and are only suitable on select types of land and eco regions, mostly semi arid. Add in the disease pressures guys have these on a 3 or 4 yr rotation. Production of pulses to replace animal proteins on the planet would be near impossible.

To give everyone a larger vegetable rich diet would mean a lot more greenhouses or production in the 3rd world shipped to the first world. And the food waste would be 10x higher than what they claim goes uneaten.

An active person needs almost 50-100g of protein every day for proper nutrition. Thats 5 cups of lentils everyday. India is a vegetarian population and their chronic malnutrition is legendary.

Again they know all this. its the same argument that solar can replace diesel.
              Last edited by jazz; Feb 10, 2021, 08:35.

Comment

Originally posted by bucket View Post
                The only reason people are starving in this world is because governments want them to....THere is plenty of food , its just that people like the billionaires don't want to feed them they want to profit from it...

While Trudeau hands outs 100s of millions for foreign aid...it never seems that it helps feed anyone but Trust funds...
                The graft in some of those countries is sickening - the big bosses get rich while the poor starve and die for lack of food and proper medical care.

And while we could at one time comfortably sit here and gape at them in disbelieving horror, we are not that many steps removed from their deplorable state.

Thanks to people like the corrupt Justin Jackboots.

Comment

Originally posted by jazz View Post
                  Pulse protein on a yield basis is half of what grains are and are only suitable on select types of land and eco regions, mostly semi arid. Add in the disease pressures guys have these on a 3 or 4 yr rotation. Production of pulses to replace animal proteins on the planet would be near impossible.

To give everyone a larger vegetable rich diet would mean a lot more greenhouses or production in the 3rd world shipped to the first world. And the food waste would be 10x higher than what they claim goes uneaten.

An active person needs almost 50-100g of protein every day for proper nutrition. Thats 5 cups of lentils everyday. India is a vegetarian population and their chronic malnutrition is legendary.

Again they know all this. its the same argument that solar can replace diesel.
                  I wonder how lentils would do on my quarter of bush and rocks? So much meat is raised on marginal land that has no other use.

Comment

In reading the article it talks about how using fertilizer leads to land degradation. I am fortunate enough to live where my family has farmed over 100 years. This land in my opinion produces more now than it ever did. There is land in the area that we farm that has areas where the topsoil has been blown away in years past but this was due to cultivation not to the use of fertilizer. Now with no till and improved farming methods we are improving this soil in my opinion.

My other thought in countries like Brazil aren’t forests being cleared to grow soybeans? Since Joe Biden was elected the enviromedia has gone into overdrive with their biased narratives!!!

Comment

Totally plant based diets would destroy the environment, not save it, as marginal land that should only be used for grazing would have to be cultivated to grow crops. With the green movement's war on chemical fertilizers and genetic modification, it would not take long for mass starvation to set in.

Comment

Plant based diets are common in many areas of the world , but fish also plays a big role . This is simply an enviro push against meat eating western culture.

Pulse crops would be a big benefit in this system but we will be left out with soil disease issues . Fabas and dry beans may be more prominent than peas and lentils , at least in some areas .
                        More and more people are turning to oat milk , which could be a very steady and relatively cheap crop to continue to grow. Flax seems to be back in demand big time as well .
                        Our biggest issue will be transportation costs as carbon tax’s will continue to erode profits regardless of whatever we grow . Unless we develop more finished products here , like oat milk , proteins from pulse crops like lentils / fabas. The protein fraction plants now in place will be a good thing moving forward.
                        We as farmers can adapt, we have before but could be handcuffed by higher transportation costs and over regulation by these idealists. Either way changes are coming ... good , bad or otherwise to both crop and livestock producers . Regenerative ag is being touted as the way of the future but it relies a lot on animals to make it profitable..... the idealists want to cut that out which will stunt Regen ag if this anti animal thing goes too far . Will be a tricky balance .
                        And yes , this is part of the great reset plan , don’t kid yourself .
                        Trudeau has already stated that we must reduce fertility by 30% .... the wheels are in motion .

I still love beef and will continue to still support local cattle guys regardless of what these idealists push . I just hope that the livestock industry stays viable , we need that to stay a big part of everything we do as crop producers.
                        Public persuasion is going too far IMO with constant articles like this all in the name of pushing the climate change agenda. It has its place , but the brakes need to be applied soon . Massive change can not happen in their time line without massive fallout of the ag industry.

Comment

Garbage article. It is things like this that adds to the discussion about what do as farmers to speak our side of the discussion. Speaking as a farmer in western Canada, the biodiversity of the crops grown and the proliferation of wildlife is far greater now than when the land was first broken for cultivation. Moose and deer populations are far larger in the cultivated land now than in the past. You ask any of the old-timer's, they didn't see the game we see today. A kid we never saw geese other than in the spring and fall , they are very common today. We never used to see ravens in the south much. They are common now. My dad said we never used to have racoons around, very common now. In North America most farms 50 years ago had livestock and today mixed farms have mostly disappeared. That being said I cant remember who told a story years ago at university. The gist of it was that eventually in places like Africa the last of the wild game will go into the cook pot because of the inability to feed themselves. It is so sad really that these people so far from the land can have such a effect on policy from their opinion on things they don't have clue about.
                          On issue that does come up that we as farmers have to decide what we want to react to this incursion on our business. The discussion of "social license " and "code of practice" triggers so many in the ag community. Where do we as farmers go? I sure can see why many farmers are angered by the attempt to appease the tree huggers and the social and enviro activists. That being said, the question remains, What do we do ? I know many of you have a real dislike of the commodity groups and take there money out. I fully support your right to do so. Being able to vote with your levy dollars is very important. I would ask who do want to champion your farm if not the commodity groups? APAS ? NFU (I hope not) ? How about the World council of Churches ? Those guys have a strong opinion about how you should farm.

Comment

I think we need to fight the fight a person at a time. Invite people to your farms, reply to off base social media posts with kindness, facts, and class.

Just this very morning, my wife responded to a social media post about one of our products and some lady in BC was concerned about ppl eating lamb. So my wife worked hard to win her over, to be truthful and helpful.

Cases like that give me hope. We need to do this right, not with anger or looking down our noses which is not always easy when frustrated...

Comment

Trudeau has already stated that we must reduce fertility by 30% .... the wheels are in motion .
                              That is the agenda right there.

Humans largest advances in our history all had to do with harnessing more dense and easily available forms of energy - fire, meat, agriculture, fossil fuels, and the elite want to reverse that.

They just created a generation of useless eaters that are ready to sit in their apartments and wait for UBI. Will be easy now to remove their entire bloodlines from the planet.

But why? what is the real agenda behind population reduction. The elite dont care, they dont live where the rest of us do. Unless there is something coming down the line that will be a radical change for us and not everyone will get to participate like life extension tech.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...