• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Too much cheap food ....

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tweety View Post
    Why would the world starve to death if 100 gms of beans provides 22 grams protein, 63 grams of carbs, polyunsaturated healthy fats while the damage done worldwide to produce beef gives 26 grams per 100 gms4, no carbs, and saturated fat, 5 times the sodium, 31% higher risk of death, 50% more likely to have macular degeneration, 28% more likely to have colon cancer, and you don't have to kill it. Just eat the beans.

Most beef worldwide is produced in feedlots, not picturesque open prairie scenes.

But by all means don't let any of the realities of beef production and nutritional challenges interfere with your delusions of why people are just "misinformed by the plot against farmers" turning more and more to alternative products. Because that is what good managers do, ignore 2 corners of a SWOT analysis.

Plants based protein markets are expected to grow 14% per year and will be over 35 billion by 2024. Already 40% of Canadians consider themselves flexitarians, and that is not going down. The big winner is farmers who grow higher protein ingredients, the loser is animal protein farmers who think all this will "pass". As products become more tasty, affordable, meat substitution partially by plant - 50/50 meats, and don't carry the guilt of animal slaughter, the trend will be only 1 way.

Meat contributes to 8 billion tonnes of CO2 per year, so it is an easy target because there is little to no pushback by the industry. You'll just complain on Agriville and call people uninformed.
    How did humans evolve mentally according to scientific studies???? Dense meat proteins ???
    I guess leading scientists are wrong ??
    Just askin is all .

Comment

With change comes opportunity, and from a business perspective plant based diets are something that can't be ignored.

Comment

Originally posted by WiltonRanch View Post
        Being a livestock producer I see the writing on the wall but at the same time I do not see the supply of beef growing neither outside of feedlots feeding to higher carcass weights. Any drop in consumption is matched by reductions in herd numbers here anyway. Throw out methane emissions and that for a minute, beef will become a luxury item for many. I do take issue with non livestock producers here who have a sanctimonious attitude towards livestock. It’s no better than some livestock producers attitudes towards grain producers. First the radicals will take down livestock and then the grain growers. Then we’ll see how smart you sound.
        And so the reductions begin:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Kiwi.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	94.0 KB
ID:	770775

That may work for dairy, but a little tougher to achieve in beef cow and production. You cannot keep increasing carcass weights infinitely?
        Last edited by burnt; Feb 13, 2021, 07:46.

Comment

New Zealand is a puzzler. They are surrounded by the earth’s biggest ocean isolated 1500 miles from other land masses. Human activity is not significant on the water. Yet they adopt the climate panic that afflicts the rich 20% of the world’s population. Makes as much sense as the turds carbon tax.

Comment

NZ, like canuckistan, is a third world nation pretending to be first world by borrowing. There as it will here, once the reality of that fact comes home to roost, target stocking numbers will be irrelevant. However, there will be a switch to more plant protein away from animal for economic reasons as beef will once again be more of a luxury product in most homes rather than a staple.

Comment

Originally posted by ajl View Post
              NZ, like canuckistan, is a third world nation pretending to be first world by borrowing. There as it will here, once the reality of that fact comes home to roost, target stocking numbers will be irrelevant. However, there will be a switch to more plant protein away from animal for economic reasons as beef will once again be more of a luxury product in most homes rather than a staple.
              Economics of production and economics of the home will dictate that. I remember an article in Cattlemen by Don Campbell where he claimed the most profitable area in Saskatchewan for raising cattle was north of hwy16. Ample moisture, feed, enough grain production to allow for synergies, and ground more suitable for grazing. Well, I live north of 16 and cattle numbers have been dwindling, and not much desire from anyone to grow herds. I have said here before that cattle production will shrink back to rocky poor ground only suitable for cows, or in my case of variable ground where mixed farming works well. Even then so many outfits here have reduced or ditched the cows. Beef will be a luxury but for us remaining guys it better be worth our while or you’ll be eating soy burgers or dairy beef.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
              • Return to Topic List
              Working...