• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Tree Company are people buying farm shelter belt trees from?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What Tree Company are people buying farm shelter belt trees from?

We use to get from the Tree Farm in Indian head but since that is done thanks to HArper. Ok, I said it. Was a stupid cut but now I see all the insanity in Ottawa I think they could have paid to keep it going.

Last few years we used Treetime with good results but looking for something else.

We probably plant more trees than Trudeau did last year on our farm. Probably more than he has ever planted in his entire life.

I care about my land and farm so feel it's important.

Now have a bush in the wrong place get it gone.

So what are others using for Trees or Shelterbelt tree farms?

We buy our yard trees from Boughen Nuseries in Nipawin.

Good quality and regionally hardy.

Don't know about shelterbelts.

We got lilacs from and some kind of willows back in the day from PFRA but wish we had local.

The lilacs don't bloom much and have no smell compaired to the old varieties. Pulled them all.
    The willows shed armloads of branches and are a pain.

Wife likes to get an old lilac out of the yard of any departed friends or relatives as a kind of memorial. Amazing how different they are.

Comment

Sounds like lots of work and it is but all the shelter belts in our yards are transplanted babies from neighbours spruce and our own. Last rows my hired man dug some from his shelter belt. Had planted some from pfra years back but didn’t amount to anything. Poplar and aspen are a weed here so propagating them is sacrilege. I’d like to kick the person in the nuts who brought cariganna to Canada.

Comment

My vendor of choice for dealing with trees would be Ritchie Bros, if you prefer new, then Finning or Brandt Tractor. A D8 is my personal choice, but if you have smaller trees then a D6 may be adequate. Track hoe works OK for smaller quantities, or really large trees.
        Keep in mind, before you get them all knocked down and burnt that wood is worth a fortune right now, and you may be able to get them harvested and make some money while simultaneously getting rid of the massive weeds.

Comment

Originally posted by WiltonRanch View Post
          Sounds like lots of work and it is but all the shelter belts in our yards are transplanted babies from neighbours spruce and our own. Last rows my hired man dug some from his shelter belt. Had planted some from pfra years back but didn’t amount to anything. Poplar and aspen are a weed here so propagating them is sacrilege. I’d like to kick the person in the nuts who brought cariganna to Canada.
          I’ll do the second kick on the caragana dude too.😎

Comment

Originally posted by woodland View Post
            I’ll do the second kick on the caragana dude too.😎
            Honest to goodness it's the only damned tree that seems to be able to survive down here...
            -coniferous trees die in droughts unless they get watered.
            -poplars are good at making firewood... They dont take well to drought and grasshoppers.
            -Elm trees look half dead within 10 years.
            -Manitoba Maples make an honorary mention for hardiness... If they can get tapped in they'll survive a couple years of drought.
            -Caragana's might only leaf, flower, and seed out in the span of a month then drop their leaves and play dead, but at least they're here again next year...

Comment

I love caragana. Reliable wind break and the cows love to eat them. I just wish there was a native version.

Never got trees from these guys but when I can I plan too. May be a bit far for the Sask guys though.

https://prairieshelterbeltprogram.ca/store/shelterbelt-information

Comment

Sask Power has a shelterbelt program down at the Shand power station:

file:///C:/Users/johnj/Downloads/Requirements-Seedling-Application.pdf

I haven't dealt with them but once discussed it with a couple from Fort Quappelle that had and were happy with it. Thank you Jerry Ritz for shutting down Indian Head, you jerk. If it was losing money charge for the trees. I would have been happy to pay something to keep the service available, we've planted hundreds of trees from there over the years.

Comment

I dig em out of the bush mostly and transplant them. I wish I would have done more in my teens, some of those spruces are getting really nice. With the way I run our animals, I plan to plant several rows on new seeded pasture for shelter areas in the fields that have none or not enough. Probably make my neighbors crazy. Lol

Caragana. The most resilient, unkillable shrub I know. But the bees love them and they’re a legume interestingly. Sheep love them too. Make an impenetrable screen too. Maybe they do better, er worse, where it’s drier?

Comment

We have caragana on outside of our treeline on the north side of our yard, actually planted by the former owner of the place back in the 1960's. A few years back they were getting in pretty rough shape so we cut them all off at the ground to let them grow back. It took about 4 or 5 years for them to get tall enough to stop snow and we missed them. They sure help reduce the snow blowing into the yard.

Comment

If you want to kill a caragana saturate the roots.

Sheepwheat I would be concerned about bush or shrubs providing cover for coyotes scouting a lamb lunch.

Comment

Carragana isn’t resistant to a dozer and breaking disk. They’re a menace on the river hills where they have spread from farm sites. Heard a double rate of curtail M beats them up good. When my ancestors settled there wasn’t a tree. They had to travel 10 miles to the river for firewood. Had to go 40 miles for saw lumber. Once they started farming the prairie fires subsided and trees flourished. Probably from when they settled 1905 until the 30’s fires were a regular threat.

Comment

Wilton you hit the nail on the head. In our area, it was zero trees for miles. Before the 1900s fires would start and burn for days in Saskatchewan. Rebirth of the earth. But Trees would start then get burnt off before mature.

It's for shelterbelt redo around the original yard. 30 ft further out all the way around. The First trees from the 1961 program have come to the end of their life. The second row is good needs a new two-row system for the future.

The first row will get cut down and made into firewood, yes firewood for our sled shack and the new one we're building this summer in a different location.

RB has some really nice stuff, thanks but we have already two Cats and a Hoe.

Comment

Originally posted by LEP View Post
                            If you want to kill a caragana saturate the roots.

Sheepwheat I would be concerned about bush or shrubs providing cover for coyotes scouting a lamb lunch.
                            Guard dogs on duty. Proper fence. Frequent moves. And the sheep eat the brush down over time so the treed areas become a silvo pasture, yet they still get windbreak and shade, and provide coyotes with diddly for cover. Planted rows won’t have underbrush like the native trees do. I’m thinking even less of actual tree rows, and more of clumps of trees here n there.

In this area it was fully treed at settlement. But we’re only twenty miles from the forest as the crow flies.

Comment

Originally posted by SASKFARMER View Post
                              Wilton you hit the nail on the head. In our area, it was zero trees for miles. Before the 1900s fires would start and burn for days in Saskatchewan. Rebirth of the earth. But Trees would start then get burnt off before mature.

It's for shelterbelt redo around the original yard. 30 ft further out all the way around. The First trees from the 1961 program have come to the end of their life. The second row is good needs a new two-row system for the future.

The first row will get cut down and made into firewood, yes firewood for our sled shack and the new one we're building this summer in a different location.

RB has some really nice stuff, thanks but we have already two Cats and a Hoe.

Lucky man good wife and a hoe and still married. Skilled is the ole sask3 don’t choke on your morning coffee mate only joking
                              Last edited by malleefarmer; Feb 9, 2021, 03:26.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...