• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Storm what storm. Yea it wasn't bad wind got up to just under 100km.

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AlbertaFarmer5 View Post
    Part of the reason you see them always turning, is that when the wind isn't blowing, they still need to rotate to avoid damaging the bearings from the static load, so they use grid power to rotate the blades slowly.

They do have brakes, but my understanding is that they can't be continually braked back down to speed in extreme winds, but must be shut down completely. That could be old info, or no commercial scale turbines though.
    Probably varies by model.

You can tell when they’re shut down. While they do turn still it’s very minimally. Definitely easy to distinguish that turning from when they’re actually generating power.

Comment

Re chinese solar.

Ive still done nothing the way the govt subsidies happening will bevfree if i wait long enough....

I digress sorry, but european german and danish in particular solar panels far far superior double the cost but triple quadriple the lifespan

Comment

Still no power at B-Saytah.

Comment

Originally posted by sumdumguy View Post
          Our neighbours near White City just put in a stand up array of solar panels. Out of 10 large ones I only saw 2 left kinda standing, the rest a mangled heap of Chinese “technology”. And the win mill just east of Regina was turning this morning, but didn’t seem to be turning very fast, do they have brakes on them?
          The natives have a solar array under that windmill.

Wonder how people would feel getting stranded on the highway in their teslas.

Thank god for fossil fuels....again

Comment

Originally posted by sumdumguy View Post
            Our neighbours near White City just put in a stand up array of solar panels. Out of 10 large ones I only saw 2 left kinda standing, the rest a mangled heap of Chinese “technology”. And the win mill just east of Regina was turning this morning, but didn’t seem to be turning very fast, do they have brakes on them?
            More toxic crap to the landfill
            But shhhhhhh , clean energy lol

Comment

Originally posted by furrowtickler View Post
              More toxic crap to the landfill
              But shhhhhhh , clean energy lol
              and beings its a "green" thing ,lol, they probably don't haft pay $30 to dispose of them like me with my 4 year old new junk washing machine

Comment

Originally posted by caseih View Post
                and beings its a "green" thing ,lol, they probably don't haft pay $30 to dispose of them like me with my 4 year old new junk washing machine
                Absolutely true. And no laws or funds set aside for decommissioning. Surprised Chuck isn't up on about orphan solar and wind farms. Last time I brought this up he got quiet for a while.

Comment

Comment

Turns out the centralized grid power isn't as reliable as some think. Power is still out in many areas.

My panels are fine and when the day comes will be recycled and replaced with even better quality higher efficiency panels. Grid tied solar is not allowed to operate when the power is out.

Its a "special group" of people who are glee full when someone else's property is destroyed by a storm.

Its also interesting to watch the hypocrites who bring up the environmental foot print of renewals as a problem, but then go on to say nothing about the much larger foot print of fossil energy. Again another "special" bunch who never say anything about environmental issues with mining and extraction unless it involves materials for renewable energy. LOL

Comment

can your solar not work then if power is out ?
                      i always wondered how that worked when you're tied to grid , or if it would work for backup in an outage?

Comment

No for safety reasons. If it is connected to the grid it has to be shut down automatically when the power goes out.

Comment

is there any way to disconnect if a long outage ?
                          or would you need a battery setup also ?
                          i am thinking like an ice storm for a 2 week outage or the like ?

Comment

Probably, but discuss it with a solar installer and electrician. A better option may be a backup generator that is automatically isolated from the grid which is the way they are supposed to be wired. Then your system will still run when the sun is shining.

Comment

Ers

Originally posted by caseih View Post
                              can your solar not work then if power is out ?
                              i always wondered how that worked when you're tied to grid , or if it would work for backup in an outage?
                              They call a grid tie system with off grid capability a hybrid system. Pricey. An off grid solar system with battery backup just for critical loads is a good option.

Comment

Want to make the grid reliable? Adding solar aint going to do it.

Bury the rest of the rural lines and install more distributed generation at various nodes around the province.
                                Put a nuke plant in the center of the province and gas fired cogen at the major cities.

Solar is only a solution if you like claiming depreciation.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...