• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Years resolutions...... No BS!

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My resolution is to, before my life ends, have a shop I can work on stuff in. It would change my farm. I envy y’all with shops! 🤩

Comment

Originally posted by Sheepwheat View Post
      My resolution is to, before my life ends, have a shop I can work on stuff in. It would change my farm. I envy y’all with shops! 🤩
      Having the shop and the toys(otherwise known as tools) inside is only half the battle.
      We have the shop, and because of a career in my previous life, I have most of the tools and knowledge
      But livestock keeping me busy year round means I don't have the spare time to keep it all organized, work on fun projects, or even accomplish the major repairs that always need to be done(on time).
      Then my equipment outgrew the shop, so now most work is still in the great outdoors year around, and even if it does fit, chore tractors and plow tractor get priority for shop space all winter.

I envy farmers without livestock, and with enough spare time to create such convenient shop set ups.

It has been my observation that Those in most need of a shop in most capable of making it pay, Are the ones going without. And those at the point in their career when they can afford to shop in the tools and the time, Have the least need for it.

Comment

Originally posted by Sheepwheat View Post
        I dont know but after 6 months of farming the shop is the last place I want to be in the winter. My head needs a break from it.

I think I would rather have a nice vacation every winter than a nice shop.

Ours is summer use only. barely finished inside, no heat, nothing fun in it, just work. My antiques are used in the field.

Comment

Yeah I know a lot of guys with shops that still take their machinery to the mechanic. Immaculate, amazing buildings. Not a whole lot of mechanical ability.

And I can see how, once I have a shop, it might be either the last thing I want to do, or that the animal tie down factor would play in. I have so many hobbies and stuff though that I think I would appreciate a decent shop. All I want is something to fit my feeding tractor in. Just a little, humble shop. I know, I know, don’t build it too small. But I have a non typical mindset, you gotta remember that. With the climate change, in future we won’t need them anyway, so...

But I can daydream I guess. Lol

Comment

I don’t need a huge heated space, just enough room to park a truck or tractor. Thinking 30x40 this spring, maybe 40x40. Crawling under the truck laying in the snow, or in the dark on the dirt floor cold storage sheds tracing air line leaks gets old.

Comment

I agree with the comment about shops being overbuilt these days.

My shop is 42 x 66. I could easily fill one twice the size. But it is much better than nothing. Sometimes it gets tied up while we wait for parts but such is life.

I don't think I would recommend building one much smaller. When you think about it your heat, water and power cost the same to service it no matter the size of building. The cost to heat is minimal. A building smaller than that is actually not much cheaper so all you really save is cement.

I think now a 50 or 60 by 80 would be great. We try to do most things ourselves. But we do know our limitations. It is huge to have most of the major servicing done come spring. Oils changed in March/April, etc.

So I would say if you winter labour is a small crew or you work by yourself. Build big enough for chore equipment, while leaving one additional bay to work on a piece of equipment. You won't have wasted space and you can be productive at the same time.

If you have more people and hence more equipment then bigger makes sense.

Comment

You guys must have a different wife than me. After all summer in the field she sure wouldnt like me hiding out in the shop too. Especially with the kids at home in lockdown and going nuts.

I remember my dad doing that. Wintering cows, calving, seeding, haying, harvest and then tinker in the shop on the side and run to town for coffee. He only slept and ate in the house for many yrs. I dont think many modern marriages would stand for that.

Comment

That sounds ideal to me. I always like men more the less I have to see them.

Plus I’d really just like a shop to do stuff in myself so he’s just have to suck it up and share the space!

Comment

Ha. My wife and I, like partners, fjlip , etc. do the sheep farming together. If I was out there, I’m sure she’d come for visits and to lend a hand, or just be present. We do this life together pretty closely. I agree jazz, that many guys seem to have a bizarre “freedom” though. Many guys I know head to auction sales and so on, and their wives never know where the heck they are. That would be the day in this household! Needs to be some balance for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by jazz View Post
                      You guys must have a different wife than me.
                      That seems like a safe bet.
                      Unless of course your wife is practicing polygamy without your knowledge.

Myself personally, I'm almost certain that I am not married to your wife.

Comment

Originally posted by Blaithin View Post
                        That sounds ideal to me. I always like men more the less I have to see them.
                        Wait until you have a couple rugrats running around. You will be thrilled to pass off some chores especially at 2am.

My dad was from the mad men era. Those guys dont change diapers. He would often leave the house at 5 am and didnt come back until meal time. Could have been dead in a coulee somewhere. Somehow made it to 80.
                        Last edited by jazz; Jan 2, 2021, 17:59.

Comment

You guys must have a different wife than me. After all summer in the field she sure wouldnt like me hiding out in the shop too. Especially with the kids at home in lockdown and going nuts.

I remember my dad doing that. Wintering cows, calving, seeding, haying, harvest and then tinker in the shop on the side and run to town for coffee. He only slept and ate in the house for many yrs. I dont think many modern marriages would stand for that.
                          Fair comment about balance needed. I am gone from spring to fall. I get alittle freedom in July although I often have a project then, It might be at home or on the farm.

Winter time I do work in the shop some but not everyday and always home for breakfast and done before supper. I think that is plenty now that we are empty nesters.

I remember a friend who had retired and was home alot more, telling me his wife told him to get a job. He was driving her nuts.

Part of my point about shop size is, if you have a really large shop, you better use it alot.

Comment

Build it bigger than you need
                            Think you need if you use them they are always to small.

Now Nykolashian’s is a shop I would be happy with.

Comment

Wait until you have a couple rugrats running around. You will be thrilled to pass off some chores especially at 2am.
                              No thanks. I can deal with men around a lot easier than small children. If they arrived via stork somewhere between 6 and 8 and could get their own Cheerios and turn the cartoons on then I’d be fine.

Comment

Great discussion, I spent many winter hours in a 1988 model shop. Till combine got too big, did all the "greenlites" there. Nothing like SF, but maintenance. I enjoyed wood work for 20 years, in the winter, kids were in school, then kids grew up. Now less of that, age changes all, NOTHING is forever. Do what you can, but a heated shop can save marriages too. The words about absence...and hearts. Enjoy while you can. It's an investment.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...