• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Natural Gas Generator

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Natural Gas Generator

Maybe someone can help me ?
    I have an 11000 watt genset , just one of those chinese things
    I think it is only a matter of time until power goes out for days
    I thought this would be good to power house for emergency , works good , problem is that it uses a lot of gas
    has anyone converted one to NG ? looks easy?
    will a gas BBQ hose run it ?
    Is it legal ?
    Thanks

Originally posted by caseih View Post
    Maybe someone can help me ?
    I have an 11000 watt genset , just one of those chinese things
    I think it is only a matter of time until power goes out for days
    I thought this would be good to power house for emergency , works good , problem is that it uses a lot of gas
    has anyone converted one to NG ? looks easy?
    will a gas BBQ hose run it ?
    Is it legal ?
    Thanks
    Might take some jerry rigging if it's a Chinese make but if you google Honda gas conversions they make affordable conversion kits for small engines. Lots of guys use them for gensets

Comment

The concept of the simplest mixing bowl (in place of or as an add on without disturbing the carburetor) is intriguing. But while workable for very short, intermittent use only gasoline ; to make it run hundreds of hours means oil filters; heads with more durable seats and valves to withstand the higher temperatures produced by hydrocarbons already in a gaseous form.

Just a note for diesel conversions. Methane isn't about to explode (combust like is required by a diesel engine) Two ways to do that I know will/could/might successfully work in practice. Provide a supplemental spark ignition system or else provide "idle" speed by limiting the injection pump from delivering more fuel than to support an idle speed of the motor; and then have a methane control system though governor actuation and a throttle plate on the air intake (sort of a controlled runaway system). But then why doesn't just "shutting" off the diesel fuel supply on a runaway diesel work when the engine get more than a whiff of natural gas or ether or condensate. Whatever the result its probably going to be catastrophic. And the shutoff needs to be automatic and foolproof; in case of engine shut down from other reasons . Thats commonly a solenoid valve connected to the engine electrical system with the positive natural gas shut off (on the natural gas supply line) or there is liable to sometime be more than controlled explosions in the genset.

Those bi-fuel systems (such as the Alberta made Fuzion system) are complex enough and pricey enough that even the manufacturer could have eyes on your second hand presently unused system. And you still only get maybe a 50 plus or minus percent diesel fuel saving. You've probably still got the higher stress on the head valves and seats and may be doing motor harm in ways not immediately evident.

Maybe just like a lot of things; Do it completely right...or be fully prepared to accept the consequences. But not ever make the mistakes people regret for a lifetime.
      Last edited by oneoff; Dec 22, 2020, 06:41.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
      • Return to Topic List
      Working...