• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Visa or mastercard points?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Visa or mastercard points?

What do you guys use? I have less than zero interest in travelling south for the winter, I'd love to send the wife but she won't go without me (smart girl, I need supervision) so travel points are out.

We have been using VISA for groceries, drugstore, restaurants etc for years but I'm thinking of getting a card and run my utilities, co-op cardlock fuel, and parts accounts automatically each month as well.

What are you guys pushing through on cards for points that I haven't thought of? Pretty sure fertilizer, canola seed etc will have a "service" fee tacked on if I try it from a supplier.

Cards are paid off to zero each month so interest rate doesn't matter. Are the points income since they were "earned" on business purchases?

Anything I missed?

Originally posted by Ronski View Post
    What do you guys use? I have less than zero interest in travelling south for the winter, I'd love to send the wife but she won't go without me (smart girl, I need supervision) so travel points are out.

We have been using VISA for groceries, drugstore, restaurants etc for years but I'm thinking of getting a card and run my utilities, co-op cardlock fuel, and parts accounts automatically each month as well.

What are you guys pushing through on cards for points that I haven't thought of? Pretty sure fertilizer, canola seed etc will have a "service" fee tacked on if I try it from a supplier.

Cards are paid off to zero each month so interest rate doesn't matter. Are the points income since they were "earned" on business purchases?

Anything I missed?
    I put all my chem/ feet and canola seed on and they don't charge a service fee as long as they can run it through at time of sale, if you put it on your account and then try to pay it on the due date they either dont want the card or want to charge a service fee. I have been able to have a winter holiday for the family every year at virtually no cost (except for covid). Am a bit concerned how CRA might view that however.

Since you don't want travel points we also have a Costco m/c that ads up some decent Costco cash. Otherwise the cash back cards likely better than any points scheme.

Comment

Managed to put Fert, most canola seed, all fuel, parts, chemical, some auctions ( not RB unfortunately) all through CC without a fee. Have a cash back card through credit union for most uses, Mastercard. Also have Visa for Aeroplan points. Have used the points for travel a lot. But very restricted seats/dates. there are better plans with less black outs, which doesn't matter if you wont travel anyways.
      Not entirely sure why so many places will accept CC without a fee, when they still have to pay the fee, but I guess it is the guarantee of getting paid and on time that makes it worth their while.
      Last edited by AlbertaFarmer5; Dec 17, 2020, 20:58.

Comment

We use the Credit Union Mastercard through Collabria. With the world elite card you get 2% cash value earned on all purchases. You just redeem the points earned and it goes against your credit card balance.
        We use it for all farm purchases for everything, if the retailer accepts it,
        As for claiming the redemption of points on business purchases, talk to your accountant he'll say you have to.

Comment

My MC puts the credit back on account.
          1% of annual purchases. Doesn't show as income. Heck it's money I've already spent once. Not new income. Who looks that hard LoL.

Comment

Which fertilizer outfits take a CC as payment? None up here have for probably 10 years or so. Most seed, chemicals, mineral and supplies go through a card for us.

My folks run a Visa Aventura for travel points and it’s covered flights for the family and holidays for them for quite a few years now. I run a Visa dividend and it pays cash back at 4% on groceries/ gas and 1% for everything else. Adds up by the end of the year. Especially the groceries since the crew gets lunch here when we’re working around the yard.

Everything that has the option of going on a card does. Why not use the banks money for a month for free.

Good topic👍

Comment

Originally posted by woodland View Post
              Which fertilizer outfits take a CC as payment? None up here have for probably 10 years or so. Most seed, chemicals, mineral and supplies go through a card for us.

My folks run a Visa Aventura for travel points and it’s covered flights for the family and holidays for them for quite a few years now. I run a Visa dividend and it pays cash back at 4% on groceries/ gas and 1% for everything else. Adds up by the end of the year. Especially the groceries since the crew gets lunch here when we’re working around the yard.

Everything that has the option of going on a card does. Why not use the banks money for a month for free.

Good topic👍
              Richardson Pioneer takes CC on all inputs paid at time of delivery/pickup only. Takes a lot of refills on the card though...

Comment

I use a credit card for everything possible. I buy fertilizer, chemical, fuel, seed, parts, groceries etc. I use the RBC avionics card. No blackouts, decent redemption schedule.

If you don’t like travelling or collecting travel points, then get a cash back card. Some have a limit on the amount that you can collect in one year, some don’t. Moneysense magazine does a comparison of various cards that is available to read online.

Oh ya. Get a big limit. You can load it up before big purchases but it adds up big time.
                Last edited by LEP; Dec 17, 2020, 22:27.

Comment

Remember, it costs the retailer extra to put purchases on CC. Was told you pay for it anyway.
                  Haven't had inputs on CC for ages.

Comment

Originally posted by AlbertaFarmer5 View Post
                    Richardson Pioneer takes CC on all inputs paid at time of delivery/pickup only. Takes a lot of refills on the card though...
                    Hmmmm we don’t deal with them since they’re further away. We just throw a whack or cash on the card ahead of a big purchase. My wife can do it magically over the phone. I’m not very tech savvy. Just did the corn and canola seed the other day.

Comment

Originally posted by blackpowder View Post
                      Remember, it costs the retailer extra to put purchases on CC. Was told you pay for it anyway.
                      And considering that, I have tried to negotiate a better cash price instead of using the CC. No takers.

Comment

Originally posted by blackpowder View Post
                        You most certainly do pay for it anyway. It always comes back down to the user whether it's credit cards or any points system.

Case in point - when supplying a major Cdn retail outlet with product, we were asked for a "small" price break to cover the cost of a points system. We complied, however grudgingly.

Then I asked many who shop at that outlet if they regularly use that points card. Most said "No".

The next time I updated our pricing I decided to put that "small" percentage back in as a cost - which it is. Because I an not going to be the one who bears the cost of enabling some smartass scheme of sneakily relieving people of their money.

Think about it - one of the best schemes going to get free money - create an automatic method of taking a piece of the price of a product or service and offer it back, knowing that a huge percentage of the customers will never do it because they can't be bothered.

So when you are offered bonus or free reward points, they ain't free at all. It's just a tiny portion of what was left on the table by some other unknowing victim of the scam.

And it's in the billions.
                        Last edited by burnt; Dec 18, 2020, 04:25.

Comment

Visa points. Now FBN has a way to use your card. Some others have stopped. BOHOO

It pays my flight down and back and for a hundred more your fly first class.

ITs a little bonus.

Comment

I have to say something that may not make sense but here goes....

Getting points back on your credit card is the way Trudeau is justifying the carbon tax...

Chemical companies love this practice as well...

Its the same phucking thing for the average person...

Spend something and get some back in the future ...it allows them to raise prices and use your money for a few months with a promise that you will get something back and if you forget or they change the rules ...even better...

Look at Trudeau ...had his MPs telling everyone to apply to CERB....change the rules and get it all back...and people fell for it ....and will give him a majority for doing so.

food for thought.

dumbphuckled farmer...
                            Last edited by bucket; Dec 18, 2020, 07:38.

Comment

GM Visa, 5% on first 10,000 annual. 2% on all others. Have to buy a vehicle, who doesn't want new vehicle? All transactions should be allowed or NONE. They can't discount for cash, as per the CC agreements.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...