• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Feed vs malt

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Feed vs malt

So if feed bly is 5 bucks off combine.
    How much more does malt have to be for the extra moisture loss from 13.5 to 14.8..plus the Hassel that is involved?

$10 minimum
    $6 feed, 1 CWRS should be $12

Comment

**** malt
      They seem to doing fine making beer outta feed anyways
      Again refer to ads looking for feed barley with a minimum germ spec

Comment

Any malt from here on out will be the price we want, not what is offered, otherwise no deal.
        Depends on your length of haul but it has to be $1 bu minimum I think. Tough market. Will only look at it going forward as found money if it clicks.

Barley acres down for next year

Comment

Originally posted by caseih View Post
          **** malt
          They seem to doing fine making beer outta feed anyways
          Again refer to ads looking for feed barley with a minimum germ spec
          Aren't you way better off now with the removal of the grading system in malt. Special Select, Select, Standard Select instead of fixing that mess just throw it out is the way to change things. Such a big hurry to get rid of the CWB with no forethought or was there? Not sticking up for it just question how it was removed.

Comment

Originally posted by wmoebis View Post
            Aren't you way better off now with the removal of the grading system in malt. Special Select, Select, Standard Select instead of fixing that mess just throw it out is the way to change things. Such a big hurry to get rid of the CWB with no forethought or was there? Not sticking up for it just question how it was removed.
            That could be but we have had “malt” on hold under the CWB for 10 months then get rejected and had to sell for feed at deep discounts . Never again

Comment

Originally posted by furrowtickler View Post
              That could be but we have had “malt” on hold under the CWB for 10 months then get rejected and had to sell for feed at deep discounts . Never again
              That is what I'm saying and it is no different today same thing can and does still happen.

Comment

Originally posted by furrowtickler View Post
                The CWB portion of your experience is irrelevant. Canada Malt did that to me. Held it for a whole year, sent 3 loads in September, each load they rejected 2 of mine from 2 different yards and sent 1 of a friends just to see. Price was substantially lower than contract, they just didnt want to honour the contract. Will never deal with them again!

I'm in a good spot for feed pricing for sure but very few years have I ever seen enough of a premium to bother with malt.

Comment

Tried a newer variety once and at harvest no one wanted it even though it was good enough quality. There were a few offers from buyers willing to help "get rid of it".
                  So stored because wasn't going to give it away. Next year the barley got rained on and low and behold they were very interested in the old stored barley. It's a game...

Comment

Barley of any sort usually my lower margin choice. Feed it would be these days.
                    Grew malt for several years.
                    Specialty crop, special headaches. Easy enough to get.
                    Market tells me it's over supplied.
                    $1.00 for me hardly worth it.
                    Watching N to keep px low, lowers yield too.
                    Only so much aeration capacity.
                    Re-bin it and then sit on it for a year??
                    The pricing antics of the maltsters implies too much selection. Unless its changed.
                    Fool me twice shame on me. Im done.
                    Last edited by blackpowder; Dec 17, 2020, 20:19.

Comment

Originally posted by Partners View Post
                      How much more does malt have to be for the extra moisture loss from 13.5 to 14.8..plus the Hassel that is involved?
                      I would say anything under $7 for malt you are better off with $5 feed.
                      Another hassle with malt is its slower to dry vs feed due to germ specs.

**** malt
                      **** CWB

Comment

Originally posted by Partners View Post
                        $5 feed barley for September?

Comment

Originally posted by Oliver88 View Post
                          $5 feed barley for September?
                          Viterra is offering that for October here...........

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                          • Return to Topic List
                          Working...