• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why land is worth much more some places

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sheepwheat View Post
    Woodland. Access to water and easy fuel. No one could have envisioned farming going the way it has. At that time, the settlers of these areas were the lucky ones! Lol

Ideal mixed farming, or just great livestock country. Natural shelter, water, drainage.

You gotta look at the bright side of your beautiful area.
    I realize that may have come across kinda negative and that wasn’t my intent. Mostly I miss the community that used exist but is now what our city cousins call a “moonscape”. When the mine has expropriation powers you don’t have a choice. Most former neighbours are now 30 to 250 miles away. My close buddy went from 2 miles to 50 miles away.

Otherwise it’s a great productive area with lots of “Special” ground that requires improving. We love a challenge I guess.🍀

Necessary tool to make a flat spot for anything here.

Comment

Not at all. I know what you mean. You don’t come off as negative at all. Me? Ha, I gotta watch myself on that all the time.

Comment

Originally posted by AlbertaFarmer5 View Post
        The features that made a good homestead are quite different to what makes a productive farm, or good farmyard today.

Lots of old farmyards stuck in a gulley next to a body of water, with no room for expansion, too steep for buildings.
        It depends on what one envisions as an ideal farmstead too. I think my yard is great, secluded, treed in, not much room to turn around, no wind ever. Most of my neighbors would think otherwise, big time. Lol

But then guys around me push every tree, and then they go out and buy portable windbreaks, complain about spray drift, stand in the wind while they load out grain, etc.

It I’m seriously strange and differently non typical!

Comment

I'm one of those who takes out every tree, then builds portable windbreaks for the cows.
          It's all about manure management. The most valuable asset on the farm is manure. And left unmanaged, the cows will dutifully rob the nutrients and fibre from the open pasture or hayfields, and carry it to the nearest bush where they deposit it. From where it is needed the most, to where it will do no good at all. Set the windbreaks up on the poorer farmland feed and bed within them, move regularly. And rebuild the soil. Then remove the trees which have been the recipients of decades of manure, haul that excess to other poor areas, and still have the most productive soil anywhere left over.

Cows+ trees has to be the single most unsustainable practice going. Probably did more long term damage than summerfallow.

Comment

Originally posted by AlbertaFarmer5 View Post
            I'm one of those who takes out every tree, then builds portable windbreaks for the cows.
            It's all about manure management. The most valuable asset on the farm is manure. And left unmanaged, the cows will dutifully rob the nutrients and fibre from the open pasture or hayfields, and carry it to the nearest bush where they deposit it. From where it is needed the most, to where it will do no good at all. Set the windbreaks up on the poorer farmland feed and bed within them, move regularly. And rebuild the soil. Then remove the trees which have been the recipients of decades of manure, haul that excess to other poor areas, and still have the most productive soil anywhere left over.

Cows+ trees has to be the single most unsustainable practice going. Probably did more long term damage than summerfallow.
            Maybe cows are different. Sheep bed out in the open and leave their crap where the hay gets unrolled. Maybe your cows are potty trained better? They head to the woods to take a dump. Or maybe they’re just in need of more privacy? Lol

I get your point of portability I guess. I’m just surprised your cows head to the bush to take a dump. Lol

Comment

It's all about the shelter.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
              • Return to Topic List
              Working...