• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AG stab Sucks but all farm groups want Ottawa and Prov to continue.

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SASKFARMER View Post
    You hurt his feelings.
    Doubt it....Gerry and his minions like Lianne Rood or devin Dreeshen are too stupid to realize they are to blame for the mess they got us in....

Comment

American farm programs are based on success ...production....grow more and there is more money for you...

In canada they base the programs on failure...that for the most are out of a farmers control...

Recognize these facts and we can have a discussion about going forward for the industry...

Comment

Originally posted by caseih View Post
        which automatically makes you ineligible for a payout
        This is the basis of rhe failure that I can’t believe people aren’t saying.
        Your covered 80% crop insurance and less than 70 on a program that comes after crop insurance?????
        Theory wise rhe only way you’d get a payout is if prices drastically fell. So if that’s all we re covering why all the bullshit just add like rhe states does to the price. Like bucket says whether you have crop or not add to price of you insurance coverage and rhe bushels if not in a claim.

Comment

I agree with both of you a good strong Crop insurance program and were off to the races.

Comment

Originally posted by SASKFARMER View Post
            I agree with both of you a good strong Crop insurance program and were off to the races.
            What would be fair .....crop insurance averages based on 3 year averages like agristability does for margins ...

Or something that recognizes the fertilizer and spray a guy is using...

There are fertilizer programs based on soil tests that with X amount of rainfall and X amounts of fertilizers can predict your yield...

One thing is for sure if you fertilize and your neighbour doesn't ....the coverage you receive is garbage ...because of the formula Crop insurance uses includes area yields....

They should just scrap agristabilty and update the formulas for crop insurance and call it a day...

Plus have a mechanism that reflects crop price declines..

At least crop insurance isn't whole farm insurance where crops cross subsidize each other....

Every quarter or acre and every crop should have its own formulas .....

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by wiseguy View Post
              Why do you always say we never tried to screw them ?

Pretty sure your “disappearing post” was meant for me
              We had lots of crooked pricks around here that farmed crop Ins
              They’re all long gone , mostly from their crooked nature
              They were so worried about fk-n the system that they forgot to farm

Comment

SCIC sucks. I grew lentils this year... first year growing them, but long term SCIC customer. 3 days before combine could get there, a hail storm went through. Hail adjuster was tough, but ended up being an average of 79% damage over the half section. Should be a travesty.... and is, in my mind. But SCIC required me to still pay my premium, but not be in a claim position as I had no yield history for lentils, since it was my first year growing them. So what it comes down to is that I am paying SCIC for the privilege to farm... and they will never be on the losing end.

Comment

Originally posted by snap View Post
                  SCIC sucks. I grew lentils this year... first year growing them, but long term SCIC customer. 3 days before combine could get there, a hail storm went through. Hail adjuster was tough, but ended up being an average of 79% damage over the half section. Should be a travesty.... and is, in my mind. But SCIC required me to still pay my premium, but not be in a claim position as I had no yield history for lentils, since it was my first year growing them. So what it comes down to is that I am paying SCIC for the privilege to farm... and they will never be on the losing end.
                  Don’t they use area average then ??

Comment

Originally posted by caseih View Post
                    Don’t they use area average then ??
                    Yes.... that's the problem. My yield after 79% hail damage 3 days prior to harvest was apparently still better than area yield average. So because only the poor farmers declare their yields, that's what I get.

Comment

As far as I know, SCIC uses your MER if you have not grew a crop before, so if your long term yields are 10% over area averages you would have a mer of 110%, that number would be multiplied by the area average to determine your average yield.

Comment

Bucket touched on the point I was going to.

Whole farm versus individual crop insurance.

If whole farm was cheaper and had better coverage than AgStab has now, would you opt for it?

I have neighbors in crop insurance with a high premium discount that don't even fully insure let alone to the max coverage level and high price option(Is that still a thing?).

It's the potential for fraud that should also be addressed. How many contracts does a family need or a single operation with multiple contracts where musical grain can be played.

Comment

Yes.... that's the problem. My yield after 79% hail damage 3 days prior to harvest was apparently still better than area yield average. So because only the poor farmers declare their yields, that's what I get.
                          Not trying to be a smart ass, but I got a hail adjustment like that once. 65% hail damage and still went almost 20. This may be a case of both low Crop Insurance coverage and favourable hail adjustment.

Comment

Calling BS on this as well. I have unfortunately has to use crop insurance a lot over the years. The 79% damage was overstated. I have had significant hail damage and did not get a payment a couple of times as well when the crop ended up just over coverage. I have also had hail on some crops that took to yield but should have sprayed out because I thought there was more there as well. My crop insurance adjuster this year when measuring bins said that it was amazing that I had anything at all off my peas because he had written so many acres off in the area. This area was good in the past as 2013 and 2014 has the best crops ever but we have not got a good crop year since.

I get to see a lot of crops in my off farm job, and there is not much difference in farms these days as far as crops are concerned. Trouble is guys think they are 3x the farmer the other guy is. I know that is not true. This is why you have the grain trade talking about 7 million tonnes of canola carryout like they were last spring and then find empty bins. Not many have realistic estimates of what there crops actually do on a farm wide basis. Have some good fields and a poor one takes the average down. Weather and soil quality determine 90% of your yield and management the last 10% despite what the industry tells you.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                            • Return to Topic List
                            Working...