• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NFU and commodify marketing

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I know the Grain Companies LOVE this Post CWB world . Last couple years they’re Pocketing $1.50 a bushel on our grain- according to Mercantile Consulting(Marlene Borsch)

Comment

Mercantile Consulting work is flawed

Comment

I agree that the monopoly was terrible, initial payments were an insult and that's possibly why we accept what's going on now, so happy to receive a few more crumbs and not even noticing where the rest of the cake is going.
        As the Grain companies route trains to locations that will boost their margins my local deliveries are delayed and delivery months are ignored as to their convenience while my interest costs go up the grain companies shares go up, thanks to my acceptance to patiently wait.
        The choice to contract is mine yes, accept all the fine print as is stated or don't even get a chance to deliver.
        I really don't think we gained much from our victory of "marketing freedom"

Comment

Originally posted by vvalk View Post
          So this comment made by a former director of the CWB. And you wonder why the CSB could not adapt or change. Can you imagine comparing the old CWB and growing and selling all crops to supply management as a reason why we should implement a New CWB ? Comparing marketing boards that restrict all imports and only sells domestically. So chuck wants to restrict the amount of crops we grow to equal only domestic usage? When we export what 90% of what we grow? So Chuck you want to have a new CWB that’s I’ll only allow you to grow 10% of what you used to grow. You all can truly see how small minded people like Chuck truly are. That post says it all.
          I said no such thing. You are making up a bogus straw man argument. Everybody knows that supply management for an export dominated industry can't work.

I only pointed out that many farmers and Conservatives accept compulsory domestic supply management marketing boards for poultry and dairy products with hardly a complaint. These boards require a very large amount of government intervention in the form of quotas and import tariffs to work.

Its very hard for farmers and their political allies who didn't support the CWB because it took away marketing freedom, to explain how they can then support compulsory supply managed marketing boards for poultry and dairy.

That's why you resorted to lame straw man arguments. And I am not a former CWB director. If you think I am, then probably you are on the board of Viterra. LOL
          Last edited by chuckChuck; Nov 22, 2020, 11:05.

Comment

Originally posted by chuckChuck View Post
            I said no such thing. You are making up a bogus straw man argument.

I only pointed out that many farmers and Conservatives accept compulsory supply management marketing boards for poultry and dairy products with hardly a complaint. These boards require a very large amount of government intervention in the form of quotas and import tariffs to work.

Its very hard for farmers and their political allies who didn't support the CWB because it took away marketing freedom, to explain how they can then support compulsory supply managed marketing boards for poultry and dairy.

That's why you resorted to lame straw man arguments. And I am not a former CWB director. If you think I am, then probably you are on the board of Viterra. LOL
            IMO its only a matter of time before the supply management system moves toward change. Most of the world has ditched it and its going to take along time to get out of the quota value minefield that would end the industry overnight if not a little thought doesn't go into it. I think most supply management guys thinking long term understand they are on soft ground and change will happen. It interesting now with the Covid factor. There just may be a renaissance for a lot of regional produced products and the value adding that comes with more local processing and consumption. Try getting a beef processed locally these days, most plants are months and months out. Even with the food security that we enjoy here the interest to buy more local is building. In the importing countries food security becomes a big deal and now is the time to push for open markets. China and India have a love for getting involved in the market through tariffs and this will never stop without a rethink towards WTO and other trade agreements. With a pretty general world wide drought going on it is amazing how fast numbers changed. Its glaring too that few "expert's" saw this coming and were pushing sales at lower prices.

Comment

It doesnt matter if the CWB comes back ...if farmers are too blind to ask for more transparency in their industry ....the industry will fail...

As I sit at the table every morning and think about next year for cropping plans and scribble down ideas , i would like the same knowledge we as farmers provide the industry throughout the growing season....

There is sales reports every day for american farmers and the balancing act occurs throughout the winter over estimated corn and bean acres that are to be seeded...No doubt that the pull between the two crops happens because of sales reports and guys wondering which will be the best crop to grow based on what information is provided going forward....

Comment

Originally posted by jamesb View Post
                IMO its only a matter of time before the supply management system moves toward change. Most of the world has ditched it and its going to take along time to get out of the quota value minefield that would end the industry overnight if not a little thought doesn't go into it. I think most supply management guys thinking long term understand they are on soft ground and change will happen. It interesting now with the Covid factor. There just may be a renaissance for a lot of regional produced products and the value adding that comes with more local processing and consumption. Try getting a beef processed locally these days, most plants are months and months out. Even with the food security that we enjoy here the interest to buy more local is building. In the importing countries food security becomes a big deal and now is the time to push for open markets. China and India have a love for getting involved in the market through tariffs and this will never stop without a rethink towards WTO and other trade agreements. With a pretty general world wide drought going on it is amazing how fast numbers changed. Its glaring too that few "expert's" saw this coming and were pushing sales at lower prices.
                We know there is great pressure on supply management to be scrapped. There have been some changes.

But if we want to keep processing jobs and farmers in Canada then supply management helps do this by restricting competition from cheaper imports of certain items.

Now that Trump has made protectionism popular again, don't we have an argument to keep protecting our supply managed industries?

American farmers have received more ad hoc support than Canadian farmers. Subsidies to agriculture in the US are a way of life down there because of the way their politics work.

American "free market" oriented farmers many of whom vote for Trump, sure demand a lot of subsidies!

Comment

Originally posted by bucket View Post
                  It doesnt matter if the CWB comes back ...if farmers are too blind to ask for more transparency in their industry ....the industry will fail...

As I sit at the table every morning and think about next year for cropping plans and scribble down ideas , i would like the same knowledge we as farmers provide the industry throughout the growing season....

There is sales reports every day for american farmers and the balancing act occurs throughout the winter over estimated corn and bean acres that are to be seeded...No doubt that the pull between the two crops happens because of sales reports and guys wondering which will be the best crop to grow based on what information is provided going forward....
                  Bucket no worries the VP of WCWGA dug out his dusty CWB notes and made it clear the CWB is gone for good, which all of us already knew. Their hero the Ostrich Farmer made sure that would never happen. What did we farmers get when Ritz Cracker struck the G3 deal ?

But when your a one trick pony organization such as the WCWGA, you have to jump at every opportunity to excite the troops. There certainly hasn't been much for them to advocate that would supposedly help Western Canadian farmers since May 2011.

Take at look at which companies Sponsor the WCWGA, gee I wonder who has the ear of the WCWGA BofD and executive team. I love the big BAYER logo, such nice colors.

Comment

yea , mind boggling , they confiscate our money, you have to stand on your head to try and get it back
                    then they cater to the likes of bayer

Comment

Has there Been any studies to show What supply management costs the Canadian economy in lost exports?
                      We are (at least we were) an exporting nation, With very low population density, a very limited small domestic market, vast expanses of productive farmland, we Export grain and hay around the World to feed other countries livestock, But we can't export Dairy or poultry In any significant quantity due to complete lack of competitiveness thanks to supply management.
                      Aside from the cost to consumers, what is the cost of lost export business? How much could we be value adding to that bushel of grain or tonne of Hay if we fed it to a dairy cow or poultry, and exported Dairy products or the poultry products?
                      Last edited by AlbertaFarmer5; Nov 22, 2020, 15:21.

Comment

Originally posted by AlbertaFarmer5 View Post
                        Has there Been any studies to show What supply management costs the Canadian economy in lost exports?
                        We are (at least we were) an exporting nation, With very low population density, a very limited small domestic market, vast expanses of productive farmland, Export green and a around the World to feed other countries livestock, But we can't export Dairy or poultry In any significant quantity two to complete lack of competitiveness thanks to supply management.
                        Aside from the cost to consumers, what is the cost of lost export business? How much could Wheat be value adding to that bushel of grain or tonne of Hay if we fed it to a dairy cow or poultry, and exported Dairy products or the poultry products?
                        sure looks strange when you see it in print

Comment

Canada's dairy industry at a glance

https://www.dairyinfo.gc.ca/eng/about-the-canadian-dairy-information-centre/canada-s-dairy-industry-at-a-glance/?id=1502465180911 https://www.dairyinfo.gc.ca/eng/about-the-canadian-dairy-information-centre/canada-s-dairy-industry-at-a-glance/?id=1502465180911

Click image for larger version

Name:	canadiandairytradebalance_e.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	80.5 KB
ID:	770430

Comment

WCWGA keeping busy pushing the seed tax, probably consulting with Lianne Rood every day.

Comment

Originally posted by chuckChuck View Post
                              Canada's dairy industry at a glance

https://www.dairyinfo.gc.ca/eng/about-the-canadian-dairy-information-centre/canada-s-dairy-industry-at-a-glance/?id=1502465180911 https://www.dairyinfo.gc.ca/eng/about-the-canadian-dairy-information-centre/canada-s-dairy-industry-at-a-glance/?id=1502465180911

[ATTACH]7087[/ATTACH]
                              Thanks for posting the graph. And thanks for getting involved in an agriculture related thread.

Isn't it crazy that we are a net importer of dairy products? Export almost nothing.
                              What country in the world is better suited to produce agricultural products at a cost lower than ours?
                              Look at Japan, we dehydrate Canadian hay, compress it, stick it in shipping containers, onto a truck, then onto a train, onto a boat, and offload onto a truck or train in Japan, feed it to a Japanese dairy cow, who also eats Canadian grain, on farmland that is incredibly rare and precious, with a shortage of space for the manure and still do all that cheaper than our dairy products thanks to SM? You could fly milk there cheaper than that process.

Comment

Originally posted by mustardman View Post
                                Now that we’ve got The CWB out of the way and gotten rid of every small town elevator, LOOK At ALL the Room for Flour Mills and Pasta Plants. Companies must be still deciding where to PUT them. 😀
                                Small local organic mills are doing very well with Covid-19 in more populated areas. Transportation logistics are critical to the ability to effectively compete/ be dependable partner in supply chain. Fractionation of Soy in Bashaw AB... for specialty markets... if folks want to work hard... and have long term vision.... it is not a get rich quick game... but mills in Alberta/SK are gaining domestic market share... they keep out of the spot light. As our population grows... and local branding gains premium domestic markets... opportunities for niche markets certainly exist.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...