• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Friends forever, well at least till May.

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Friends forever, well at least till May.

My 12 yr old daughter and her 4H calf. Has been weaned for 10 days, I helped her tie him up twice, since that she has caught him and haltered him on her own. Gonna be a sad day on sale day.

Any other 4h families here? Our club has almost doubled this year, about 50 kids now.
    Last edited by GDR; Nov 15, 2020, 19:45.

I always look at calves and say ....delicious....

It's the finest compliment I can come up with...

My kids brought a Holstein steer home....named him Stan...

We are eating stanburgers these days....

Comment

Originally posted by GDR View Post

My 12 yr old daughter and her 4H calf. Has been weaned for 10 days, I helped her tie him up twice, since that she has caught him and haltered him on her own. Gonna be a sad day on sale day.

Any other 4h families here? Our club has almost doubled this year, about 50 kids now.
      My wife and I met through 4H but the kids are a few years away from being able to join. I delivered some hay to a family in the local club and they got 29 steers this year which is twice as many last year. Nice to see it higher after many years of decline. 🍀

It’s usually only sad till till they get the cheque 😉

Comment

Originally posted by bucket View Post

We are eating Fred right now, he was a holstein also. Generally I'm a big softy and feel guilty on butcher day, but not for Fred, he was the dumbest steer I've ever seen, his demise couldnt come fast enough. I'm enjoying him much better in death than in life. We always end up eating the runt, cripple or whatever is hard to sell, one day will have to pick the best most tasty looking one and put him in the freezer and see if it is as good as it looks.

Comment

Originally posted by bucket View Post

My in laws used to be the exact same... oddly enough they refused to let the kids name the pigs.

Comment

We are eating Fred right now, he was a holstein also. Generally I'm a big softy and feel guilty on butcher day, but not for Fred, he was the dumbest steer I've ever seen, his demise couldnt come fast enough. I'm enjoying him much better in death than in life. We always end up eating the runt, cripple or whatever is hard to sell, one day will have to pick the best most tasty looking one and put him in the freezer and see if it is as good as it looks.
            Ummm is there such a thing as a smart Holstein?😉 Seems they have to think to live. Had four of them adopted one year and only one made it to weaning.

I don’t know what a perfectly “normal”critter tastes like either. Tuesday is when we gotta take in a steer with a bum shoulder to the packer. I’m sure his meatballs will still be marvellous 😋

Comment

Went to a 4 h auction in baker Montana.

Love the whole concept.

A grandpa paid I think 400 bucks for his critters was gonna say rabbits but my minds gone blank.

Comment

Originally posted by malleefarmer View Post
                Went to a 4 h auction in baker Montana.

Love the whole concept.

A grandpa paid I think 400 bucks for his critters was gonna say rabbits but my minds gone blank.
                No programs like that in Australia? Has mostly been livestock based over the years but lots of clubs try to do projects that kids can do if they dont live in a rural area. Great experience for the kids that put the effort in and want to be there. Provides life long opportunities for them. Sales are always well supported by business and yes some grandparents!

There are 5 of us parents with kids in the club that used to be in 4h togeather as teenagers so kinda cool as the generations turn over.
                Last edited by GDR; Nov 16, 2020, 08:37.

Comment

Originally posted by woodland View Post
                  Ummm is there such a thing as a smart Holstein?😉 Seems they have to think to live. Had four of them adopted one year and only one made it to weaning.
                  Maybe you are right but the cows seem to have some smarts, maybe their brain is connected to their nuts so thats why holstein steers are so dumb.

It had been years since I fostered a holstein, not sure why I decided to with this one but after the reminder next time I will be selling the cow or giving her the summer off.

Comment

4-H one of best youth programs. Great training in chosen program. Fond memories as member. And some bad ones too like when my steer broke leg 2 days before show. Gave back the investment made by 4-H when I was a member by beingclub leader for 15 years

Comment

No programs like that in Australia? Has mostly been livestock based over the years but lots of clubs try to do projects that kids can do if they dont live in a rural area. Great experience for the kids that put the effort in and want to be there. Provides life long opportunities for them. Sales are always well supported by business and yes some grandparents!

There are 5 of us parents with kids in the club that used to be in 4h togeather as teenagers so kinda cool as the generations turn over.
                      No nothing remotely close.

Comment

That’s where I met most of my friends through so I am grateful for the program. Also the public speaking and judging is great to open up even the shy and nervous kids.

As kids we didn’t have much money and the camps were a very reasonable cost and got to tour NWT, Sask, and Montana. Going to the heifer show in Bashaw was fun wether you brought critters or not.

There is woodworking, crafts, foods, small engines, and equine in some of the local clubs too. We even had a judging club where we would travel the province to different competitions.

Good times🍀

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                        • Return to Topic List
                        Working...