• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Project Feeder Watch

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Blaithin View Post
    Got the barn site set up yesterday. There’s usually lots of birds around because of the bales so I’ll probably end up with more out there than at the house!

This morning there was some happy Chickadees at the feeders and the flock of House Sparrows on the ground.

I’ve got three small piles of barley silage at the base of the trees. On this side so the cows don’t think it’s worth trying to stretch through the fence for! Sprinkled some BOSS on top this morning just for extra yums. Probably have to take some binoculars to the barn so I can count and see what’s all there.
    What exactly is BOSS?

Comment

Black Oil Sunflower Seeds.

Comment

Originally posted by woodland View Post
        What exactly is BOSS?
        There is, or was an ivermectin type product called Boss, I assumed she was trying to deworm the birds.

Comment

Use boss synthetic engine oil so was wondering also. Lol

Comment

Nope, different kind of BOSS. Although I do give it to the dairy cows if and when they need a boost.

Comment

Started my counts yesterday. To nobody’s surprise my highest counters are pesty species. But I had some Red Polls show up today so hopefully more variety is on its way!

Made a scoreboard to count on. It’s a list of the common ones I’ve seen other years.

And hodge podged together an attempt at something to put suet and bark butter in. So far haven’t seen any birds at it but the dog sure loves it!

Comment

Chickadees 20/50 hard to count.
                Nuthatches 3,4.
                Waxwings probably 50 or more
                Gross beaks 12 evening 4 pine
                Bluejays 5 ,expensive to keep just like some people on here grab all the seeds they can and go hide them and come back for more.
                Sparrows 20
                Magpies 3,4 ?
                Ravens a lot
                Bald eagle yesterday,bad news as usualy something dead to attract them
                Turkey vultures 2 that was couple weeks ago first time I seen them here
                Peliated woodpecker 2
                Downy woodpecker 2
                Horay woodpecker 2
                Great grey owl 1
                Sawwet owl 1
                horned owl 1
                Red poll ? 15/20
                Junkos ? 15/20
                Ruffed grouse 2/5 that come to yard
                About 300# bos plus a lot of fat from butchering,but its nice to set and watch them come for seeds on cold nights I have counted 30 to 40 chickadees and nuthatches per min just before dark.

Comment

Show off 😂

Comment

Originally posted by Blaithin View Post
                    Show off 😂
                    I live in an area where the land prices arnt as crazy as what is posted on here,and for the most part the residents arnt either. Therefor we can still have some natural areas so lots of wildlife.
                    Always sad to see a new owner come in and first thing clean up slough holes ,fence lines,rocky patches all for that mighty dollar,then whine about prices.

Comment

Had some Pine Siskins show up today!

I can see a lot of your list if I go out of the yard, but most of them aren’t going to come to my feeders. I might fall over if I had a Bald Eagle on my door step. Do get the odd pheasant since they release them just up the road, but the dogs usually take care of them quick.

Comment

Went to is it birds of prey centre in 17 thought it was cool.

In alberta somewere.

Loved the owls

Comment

Owls are the coolest, in my estimation.

Before our old bank barn burned in '08, we would have barn owls take residence in it's high, timber frame.

They were great for rodent control, which was sorely needed in that barn.

But I was very saddened one day to find a dead owl laying on the barn floor, likely a victim of rodent control poisoning after eating mice or rats that had taken on a feed of mouse bait.

They have occasionally taken up residence in our new barn, but quite infrequently.

Comment

Originally posted by malleefarmer View Post
                            Went to is it birds of prey centre in 17 thought it was cool.

In alberta somewere.

Loved the owls

There is an interesting intersection of "birds of prey" and "feeder watching":

On a couple of occasions, we had unwanted visitors preying on the intended guests at our bird feeders. And I'm not talking about the pesky barn cats...

One time I was walking to the house from the shop, our Blue Heeler/Collie cross dog alongside.

So quick that it was like a flash mirage, a somewhat larger bird, likely a Sharp-shinned hawk, did a super-sonic fly-by barely 50' in front of us and grabbed a smaller bird out of the air in a splash of feathers.

The dog lunged forward, but it was over before she got into her 2nd bound.

Another time there was a larger hawk took up a surveillance position in the spruces around the yard. it took only one or two dives and the feeders were deserted for about a week. Then they slowly returned after the predator left for better feeding grounds.

It's not always pretty watching nature at work.

Comment

I’ve only seen Merlins at work on the birds. Not enough trees around for the bigger species I think. Except the Red Tails, they periodically like my chickens.

As did an old Great Horned Owl. Smartest bird I’ve run into yet.

Comment

those sparrow hawks are something to see when they drop straight outta the sky at 125mph, and take a sparrow under the sprayer boom that is 17" above the crop and travelling 17 mph!

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...