• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

0 till and phos

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

0 till and phos

All of these years of 0 till and applying increasing amounts of phos while seeding... How much good are the high amounts of drill applied phos doing to increase the yields.. I've been 0 tilling for over 35 years.. at first it wasn't really 0 till we fall banded most of the Fert, putting it down as far as we could.. then we moved to putting it all down with the drill.. most of the Phos has been put at a depth of probably less then 4 inches.. in the last couple of years the seedbed has dried down below that and the phos has to be trapped above the roots..

I'm thinking we are spending way too much on phos when the plant can't make use of it.. Am I wrong? what is the answer to getting the phos down deep enough for plant to be able to use it(without deep banding)? Am I mistaken with my thoughts on this subject?

Know little of your practices all i do is drool Over your yields and profits.

But here locally many if us no tilling for say 12 to 25 yrs.

Been a bit of a return to cultivation once every 8 years or so, lets call it strategic cultivation or many are deep ripping were possible about same time frame say 6 inches plus a few month’s before seeding.

Long term nontill eliminated soil erosion to a fair degree but unexpected issues sort of at 15 plus year mark.

Havexa good weekend

Comment

I have been putting more and more as the years go by also and i don't think i will cut back at all. Couple of springs ago I fertilizer gear in my drill stop turning so one section of the drill got seed but no Phos and holy crap did that section stand out.
      I also have a daughter that is an agronomist for an independent agronomy company and they do a lot of testing with different rates of Phos and she is always telling me more Phos.
      I think i would do a strip in a field with the Phos shut off and see how it looks compared with Phos.

Comment

we're putting 34-40 actual , where is everyone at?
        have put none at all with peas , couldn't see it

Comment

We at 25 actual with seed.
          Did a field of 40 actual with fall blend last yr..then 25 this spring.
          Not really any difference in yield.
          Can put higher rates with seed if coated with micros..

Comment

we double shoot
            nothing goes with seed , 3/4" away same depth , atom jet , one wing
            have gone as high as 300 lbs product (total blend) with no problems, even though gerry says it doesn't work
            Last edited by Guest; Nov 6, 2020, 19:31.

Comment

really enjoying this ag thread!

Comment

Originally posted by caseih View Post
                we're putting 34-40 actual , where is everyone at?
                have put none at all with peas , couldn't see it
                We put on 35-40 Lbs actual on every acre every year including peas, lentils, soybeans. Don’t really see a benefit in the pulse years but my understanding of pho’s has always been it’s not really all that available in the year of application but is more of a building over time process. In our latest soil test we are actually starting to some P residual.
                We used Altas on it a couple years but are choosing to take the $100mt and put into extra P.

Right or wrong that’s been our program for over 15 years.

Comment

we double shoot
                  have gone as high as 300 lbs product (total blend) with no problems, even though gerry says it doesn't work
                  What drill are you using?

Comment

Originally posted by seldomseen View Post
                    I have been putting more and more as the years go by also and i don't think i will cut back at all. Couple of springs ago I fertilizer gear in my drill stop turning so one section of the drill got seed but no Phos and holy crap did that section stand out.
                    I also have a daughter that is an agronomist for an independent agronomy company and they do a lot of testing with different rates of Phos and she is always telling me more Phos.
                    I think i would do a strip in a field with the Phos shut off and see how it looks compared with Phos.
                    how are they applying the phos in their trials?

Is everyone satisfied with putting the phos with the seed or just an inch below and to the side?

has anyone done a test strip with deep banded phos beside seed placed, what were the results?
                    Last edited by therealnorthernf; Nov 6, 2020, 19:57.

Comment

Originally posted by fjlip View Post
                      What drill are you using?
                      Just an old morris maxim 2
                      Sure has been good to us

Comment

30-35lb actual with the seed for cereals depending on soil test, and 40lb with legumes, again with the seed.

Comment

High ph soil phosphorus get tied up here

Edit my fert rates not sure if you call fert by name but i sow a blend of 60% Map 40% urea at seeding 60 to 70 kg per ha then top up if crops good of 40 to 50kg urea spread when crop has 5 leaves plus.

Thats enought for 2 to 3 t ha crop or more if rains are kind.
                          Ferts a expensive part of farming here.
                          Last edited by malleefarmer; Nov 6, 2020, 20:30.

Comment

we double shoot
                            Same here. Use stealth paired row and put all the fert down below. Canola blend about 350lbs and 330 on wheat with no issues. Moisture usually not a problem here but if it were bone dry it might be an issue.

Comment

Phos is slow to move and availability slow also. 35 to 40lbs here. Have put double that or more down when seeding forages then no annual application while in production because they say it can only move 1/2 per year so hard to get it to the roots broadcasting.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...