• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone want to talk peas and desease?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone want to talk peas and desease?

Our farm is done with peas. Even in the test plots different chemicals are having effect on pea desease, seeding on wheat stubble shows pea desease and yet none of grower associations want to address the concern. On our farm peas would be a great rotation value but you just can’t be paying 18 bucks a bushel for seed and high spray costs and fungicide only to see a nice crop turn into crap after you spray it. And no wasn’t sprayed after or before frost danger times either. Time and time again it’s disheartening and a financial flop. Why is this not being addressed? It’s been so long since we had any new chemicals also for weed control aren’t we due for a chemical that can do a lot more and be a lot more safe without residue which is going to be another problem with this drought for next years crop. We ve already lost a lot of time these sprays shoudk have been breaking down in the soil but haven’t been in the dust.
    Last edited by the big wheel; Nov 6, 2020, 07:32.

Because the people sitting on the commissions love their sprayers....and love going to the retail to buy more to make less...because grandpa's money hasn't been depreciated enough or the old guy isn't dead yet so they can cash in on the farm sale.

Does that explain it???????

Comment

Bring it up with Tom Warkentin.

Comment

In my experience the rotations for pea and lentils have to be longer than what was the norm. With the wet years the disease problems gradually have gotten worse. Root rot is the big one for us. One thing we noticed that when we took on new land that had little or no pulse history, yields were better than close land with more pulse growing history. We had grown peas this year on land that hasn't seen peas or lentils for 8 years and yields were good. For years I had the expectation to have between 25 % - 33% of crop acres in pulses. I feel this is now not reasonable, other than the addition of soybeans which we treat like a pulse in the rotation but is more of an oilseed.

Comment

Wonder if no till is not great for legumes? If a guy made worked fields black would that get rid of some disease?

Comment

Originally posted by the big wheel View Post
            Our farm is done with peas. Even in the test plots different chemicals are having effect on pea desease, seeding on wheat stubble shows pea desease and yet none of grower associations want to address the concern. On our farm peas would be a great rotation value but you just can’t be paying 18 bucks a bushel for seed and high spray costs and fungicide only to see a nice crop turn into crap after you spray it. And no wasn’t sprayed after or before frost danger times either. Time and time again it’s disheartening and a financial flop. Why is this not being addressed? It’s been so long since we had any new chemicals also for weed control aren’t we due for a chemical that can do a lot more and be a lot more safe without residue which is going to be another problem with this drought for next years crop. We ve already lost a lot of time these sprays shoudk have been breaking down in the soil but haven’t been in the dust.
            No, you aren't due for a new chemical. There is almost no work being done on chemistry, diddly in the pipeline, as there is no money in it. Germplasm and data are the only things being worked on. Chemistry that you do have will continue to be pulled under public pressure.

It is officially your problem, no one else's.

Comment

Originally posted by Robertbarlage View Post
              Wonder if no till is not great for legumes? If a guy made worked fields black would that get rid of some disease?
              I ve wondered that also. But hate to do that on dry years

Comment

I think furrow could talk to some missing elements in the ground as the crop grows to alleviate some of the problems....BUT ...it seems everyone in the academic world would rather ignore it.

Comment

Well again motion sites have shown some of this and it was without heavy rains or drought whic seem to trigger the chemical effect way more than it should.
                  Why is treflan having an effect on desease?
                  Fusarium in wheat has an effect on later years peas and rhe experts can go f themselves that it isn’t

Comment

Which chemicals are inducing a disease increase in the following pulse year crop?

I'm struggling with what to do with regards to a proper rotation around here. It's typically dryer and disease prevalance has certainly been lower than many in wetter areas, but had been going wheat/legume/durum/mustard.

There are two crops that are presenting MAJOR problems in that rotation at the moment. Sawfly has completely ruined our ability to grow wheat around here, and likely will remain that way for the next 3-4 years i'm thinking. I shaved the ground with a flex header this year and literally pushed everything through the combine. There is no way I can afford to do that again in regards to lost time, repairs, and the thought of what a heavy rain could do to a crop laying completely on the ground when its warm out in august or september.

They have also deregistered all the old sawfly resistant CWRS's, so that leaves only midge tolerant wheat varieties, but I DO NOT have the bin space available to tie up for subsequent years seed as you can only seed midge tolerant once after you combine a crop off of seed you buy from a grower.

Went to sawfly resistant durum, and was happy with the results there (Stronghold), and as a rule I should be safe on cereal diseases around here with a one year break in between. So I could go durum/legume/durum/mustard.

The mustard is getting pretty hard to stomach as well... Poor yield potential, and even poorer weed control are making it a break even crop at best, and a weed seed bank multiplier at worst.

Short term dollar sign farming would say go Durum/legume, or durum/durum/legume, but IMHO thats setting oneself up for long term failure...

Comment

Originally posted by Robertbarlage View Post
                      I don't think we necessarily need to work them black but need to work them more. No till has been done for a lot of years and we are not getting the mix of soil & residue we used to. Mother Earth & her bugs will do a lot for the soil if given the chance. Thinking it is time to go back to spiking the fields once every three or four years to mix and loosen things up as compaction has become more of an issue as well. As I heard one time about weed resistance, " Never heard of a weed becoming resistant to steel yet." Wonder if the disease issue could apply here as well.

Comment

Originally posted by helmsdale View Post
                        Which chemicals are inducing a disease increase in the following pulse year crop?

I'm struggling with what to do with regards to a proper rotation around here. It's typically dryer and disease prevalance has certainly been lower than many in wetter areas, but had been going wheat/legume/durum/mustard.

There are two crops that are presenting MAJOR problems in that rotation at the moment. Sawfly has completely ruined our ability to grow wheat around here, and likely will remain that way for the next 3-4 years i'm thinking. I shaved the ground with a flex header this year and literally pushed everything through the combine. There is no way I can afford to do that again in regards to lost time, repairs, and the thought of what a heavy rain could do to a crop laying completely on the ground when its warm out in august or september.

They have also deregistered all the old sawfly resistant CWRS's, so that leaves only midge tolerant wheat varieties, but I DO NOT have the bin space available to tie up for subsequent years seed as you can only seed midge tolerant once after you combine a crop off of seed you buy from a grower.

Went to sawfly resistant durum, and was happy with the results there (Stronghold), and as a rule I should be safe on cereal diseases around here with a one year break in between. So I could go durum/legume/durum/mustard.

The mustard is getting pretty hard to stomach as well... Poor yield potential, and even poorer weed control are making it a break even crop at best, and a weed seed bank multiplier at worst.

Short term dollar sign farming would say go Durum/legume, or durum/durum/legume, but IMHO thats setting oneself up for long term failure...
                        Durum and lentils share fusarium root rots.

Comment

Originally posted by oldguy48 View Post
                          I don't think we necessarily need to work them black but need to work them more. No till has been done for a lot of years and we are not getting the mix of soil & residue we used to. Mother Earth & her bugs will do a lot for the soil if given the chance. Thinking it is time to go back to spiking the fields once every three or four years to mix and loosen things up as compaction has become more of an issue as well. As I heard one time about weed resistance, " Never heard of a weed becoming resistant to steel yet." Wonder if the disease issue could apply here as well.
                          I’ve been banding fertilizer in the fall every three to four years. Think it needs more.

Comment

Anyone listen to sask pulse webinar on rot root. Testing after it’s dry shows false negative for root rot. Why spend reasearch on testing, they proved its in every field to. Just depends on how much. States university have studies going back over 20 years on
                            Aphanomyces

Comment

We use a 10 yr rotation
                              Has worked well

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...