• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Harvest ?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Harvest ?

Did everyone get done ?
    Maybe one more crack at it if not ?
    +9 here tues , wed
    Should get rid of our snow

Combines were out hunting for dry here yesterday. Mostly just the odd canola field that’s still out. Once double digits hit tomorrow, and with all this wind, they should be able to get a good chunk done.

Comment

Been wrapped up here and North for 3 weeks .
      Big relief for the northern guys here after the past 3 nightmare falls .
      Lots of grading issues though from yet again another early frost .
      Frosts at the end of August again caused a lot of damage here and north .

Comment

Started on standing canola on Friday. Still snow in any dips in the crop. Rain shut us down Friday night. But not for long. 20% Moisture which is better than the last few falls.

It is November, don't have the luxury of waiting for perfect conditions, or even good conditions, or even not horrible conditions.

Still significant crop out this far west.

Comment

sure hope you get it off , best of luck

Comment

Originally posted by AlbertaFarmer5 View Post
            Started on standing canola on Friday. Still snow in any dips in the crop. Rain shut us down Friday night. But not for long. 20% Moisture which is better than the last few falls.
            O
            It is November, don't have the luxury of waiting for perfect conditions, or even good conditions, or even not horrible conditions.

Still significant crop out this far west.
            I'm working on some standing barley, testing 15/16, still snow in a few lodged spots. Anything swathed is too wet, even canola. Beautiful chinook weather today.

Comment

AF5 YOU GET FINISHED? I got done Wednesday night, had some significant spotty showers yesterday so few neighbours that lost that lottery got a bit left but mostly wrapped up here now. Wife had a Facebook memory pop up from today in 2016 and we still had 760ac to go so I guess we are ahead of the game.

Comment

Originally posted by GDR View Post
                AF5 YOU GET FINISHED? I got done Wednesday night, had some significant spotty showers yesterday so few neighbours that lost that lottery got a bit left but mostly wrapped up here now. Wife had a Facebook memory pop up from today in 2016 and we still had 760ac to go so I guess we are ahead of the game.
                There’s still a few quarters out in our neighbourhood. A few flakes are coming down now. Glad to hear you got done GDR. 2016 was an absolute headache that I hope to not go through anytime soon. We still chopped 1,100 acres of “snolage” after this day that year.

Hope ya made out ok AF5. Ma Nature hasn’t played very nice for quite some time. 🍀

Comment

Almost made it. Has been a non stop marathon since it warmed up. Only stopped when it rained, or got so wet or frosty it wouldn't go through. Down to about 50 acres of the worst of the drowned out barley left.

Went really well until the last few days, which were plagued by serious breakdowns, some self inflicted from picking up snow flattened crops, and all the bonuses that come with that.

Not going to complain about mother natures treatment of us this year. Given the start we had, this could have turned out much much worse. An early or even average fall frost could have left us with not much at all to harvest. Instead everything ripened naturally, even the drowned out areas that grew back really really late. Quality is very good. Wheat was tremendous. Barley was better than expected, the hard way, the good areas were far better than they looked, which was necessary because in the bad areas, the MPH number was higher than the Bu/Ac number at times. Canola was a disappointment. Too much drowned out, and some inexplicable poor areas on higher better ground, still trying to find a reason for. The good areas were phenomenal though, even those that didn't look that great. Sounds like a common theme regarding canola.

Last year barley seeded in good time in May froze and we never had a window to harvest it. This year, barley seeded well into June was a success. Sod seeded Canola with hail, flea beetles, and incessant rain that still had flowers into September made it and yielded very well considering.

Comment

Almost made it. Has been a non stop marathon since it warmed up. Only stopped when it rained, or got so wet or frosty it wouldn't go through. Down to about 50 acres of the worst of the drowned out barley left.

Went really well until the last few days, which were plagued by serious breakdowns, some self inflicted from picking up snow flattened crops, and all the bonuses that come with that.

Not going to complain about mother natures treatment of us this year. Given the start we had, this could have turned out much much worse. An early or even average fall frost could have left us with not much at all to harvest. Instead everything ripened naturally, even the drowned out areas that grew back really really late. Quality is very good. Wheat was tremendous. Barley was better than expected, the hard way, the good areas were far better than they looked, which was necessary because in the bad areas, the MPH number was higher than the Bu/Ac number at times. Canola was a disappointment. Too much drowned out, and some inexplicable poor areas on higher better ground, still trying to find a reason for. The good areas were phenomenal though, even those that didn't look that great. Sounds like a common theme regarding canola.

Last year barley seeded in good time in May froze and we never had a window to harvest it. This year, barley seeded well into June was a success. Sod seeded Canola with hail, flea beetles, and incessant rain that still had flowers into September made it and yielded very well considering.
                    Glad you almost got er 👍
                    Brings to mind yet again how I can’t figure out for the life of me how anyone could ever say how farmers have it so easy .

Comment

Originally posted by furrowtickler View Post
                      Glad you almost got er 👍
                      Brings to mind yet again how I can’t figure out for the life of me how anyone could ever say how farmers have it so easy .
                      Just look up “Mitchell and Webb farm” on YouTube. They explain how we’re rollin’ in the dough.......😉

Comment

Good to hear you got most of the crop off. That late summer heat really saved our bacon up here too. Hopefully you get to take a breather and relax a bit now.

Comment

Originally posted by woodland View Post
                          Just look up “Mitchell and Webb farm” on YouTube. They explain how we’re rollin’ in the dough.......😉
                          I have watched a few Mitchell YouTube’s
                          Not sure how long that will last .
                          Crops coming off and the cost of machinery there don’t add up regardless how much they farm .
                          Will be interesting to see where that all ends up in another 5-10 years . Maybe just keep rolling ?

Have not watched any of Webb’s YouTube’s

Welkers seem a bit more like reality to me.

But ya I hear ya woodland 👍

Comment

If 25,000-40,000 acre farms are the "future", I guess we're "history".

What happens when one of those guys quits(for what ever reason), are there enough people left in the area to pick up all the pieces?

42000 acre farm could be two townships....depending on waste etc.

If that size farm is in a tight area, they probably dont have many neighbours.

wiseguy....are you Mitchell's neighbor?

The best and/or easiest land to farm will always make up the mega farms.
                            Ghetto dirt will be farmed by STO Slummers.... enter farmaholic.

Comment

I’ve never tried posting a link before..........

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_pDTiFkXgEE https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_pDTiFkXgEE

I’m not in to watching these mega bto’s showing off the latest and greatest new toys. 😉
                              Sometimes we just need a laugh.

Originally posted by furrowtickler View Post
                              I have watched a few Mitchell YouTube’s
                              Not sure how long that will last .
                              Crops coming off and the cost of machinery there don’t add up regardless how much they farm .
                              Will be interesting to see where that all ends up in another 5-10 years . Maybe just keep rolling ?

Have not watched any of Webb’s YouTube’s

Welkers seem a bit more like reality to me.

But ya I hear ya woodland 👍

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...