• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New 1992 jd 4760

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GALAXIE500 View Post
    The sooner this idea becomes commonplace the better. I have run old machinery for years, with a few upgrades to newer stuff when it was affordable. Give me a rebuilt Steiger , Big Bud , Case IH, and you wouldn't be able to wipe my smile off my face !
    Until you cant get parts.
    Bearings are no longer available except NOS for the Steiger tranny's.

Comment

Originally posted by GALAXIE500 View Post
      The sooner this idea becomes commonplace the better. I have run old machinery for years, with a few upgrades to newer stuff when it was affordable. Give me a rebuilt Steiger , Big Bud , Case IH, and you wouldn't be able to wipe my smile off my face !
      I see a business opportunity here for some enterprising entrepreneur. Buy old equipment, used 4wd tractors for example, rebuild the major powertrain components, upgrade the manual transmissions and dry clutches powershifts as required, upgrade to autosteer ready, upgrade hydraulic gpms, install good metric radial tires, replace hydraulic hoses and seals, maybe build new wiring harnesses as required, paint, cab kit, door seals etc, upgraded lights, new pivot pins, U joints, rebuild rad.

Most of these tasks wouldn't require high paid labour at typical shop rates, if done on a large enough scale that one guy only needs to be proficient at one task, no need to be a certified HD mechanic to R and R the same component over and over. Could even truck them to Mexico and back and have the work done there at cheaper labour.

Would probably have to fabricate some obsolete parts, but that could be an entire additional income stream selling for existing tractors, similar to what Big tractor Parts already does.

What I question is how many people who say they would buy such a thing, are actually in a position to do so, and if they are in a financial position to do so, how many would actually forgo the appeal of brand new, I have my suspicions, the market is smaller than indicated by coffee shop type talk.

Comment

Originally posted by blackpowder View Post
        Until you cant get parts.
        Bearings are no longer available except NOS for the Steiger tranny's.
        ever been to Cuba
        they just make their own parts
        but as far as I'm concerned , the guys that paid that kinda money for a 28 yr old tractor have rocks in their head

Comment

How do i make a bearing?
          At $150 an hour?
          Some things must go to the bush.

These ideas had traction and followers in the 90s. Not yet so now.

Comment

How do i make a bearing?
            At $150 an hour?

Answer, you don't. You remove the obsolete Steiger manual transmission, and install a twin disc/Fujitec powershift for which parts are readily available.

And you don't pay $150 per hour for labor for repetitive low skilled menial assembly line jobs.

Comment

How do i make a bearing?
              At $150 an hour?

when trudeau gets done with us we will have to make all our own parts , just like his dad did in cuba

Comment

Originally posted by AlbertaFarmer5 View Post
                Answer, you don't. You remove the obsolete Steiger manual transmission, and install a twin disc/Fujitec powershift for which parts are readily available.

And you don't pay $150 per hour for labor for repetitive low skilled menial assembly line jobs.
                That will still cost $50k.

I feel too old to go through another 80s 90s. Hopefully im done when frame off restorations of tractors become economical.

Comment

That will still cost $50k.

I feel too old to go through another 80s 90s. Hopefully im done when frame off restorations of tractors become economical.
                  What is total lifetime cost of emmissions systems on a new machine? Include the additional purchase price, downtime, how much of the purchase price is recapturing the inevitable warranty costs, DEF, repairs, service calls, eventual delete, and putting it back on to be sold?

Comment

Ill give you that.
                    But there are better choices than a 9000 Steiger with a standard.
                    An STX 500 or 550 will have 110 lbs/hp, 800 rubber, QSX Cummins, powershift, and upgradeable hydraulics.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                    • Return to Topic List
                    Working...