• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Covid cases in Saskatchewan vs North Dakota

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by countryguy View Post
    North Dakota overall death rate is lower this year than last.
    God damn details always get in chucks way

Comment

What ? How is that possible? Just askin

Comment

Could you please tell us the source of this statement. Because it does not jive with CDC numbers that show 4% higher death rate than normal for North Dakota for the time period March 15-Sept 15.

Comment

Originally posted by dmlfarmer View Post
          Are you actually claiming that as many people got Covid in Canada as got the flu last year? If not, your comparison of hospitalizations is meaningless?\

And why if Sweden has herd immunity why were there 752 new cases on Thursday alone, and the number of cases has been steadily rising since August? Do you know what herd immunity even is?
          Simple question , are those charts right or wrong?
          Just askin , I dont know the answer. You seem to be wise in all things
          Simple yes or no for us simpletons

Comment

Originally posted by furrowtickler View Post
            Simple question , are those charts right or wrong?
            Just askin , I dont know the answer. You seem to be wise in all things
            Simple yes or no for us simpletons
            The charts are MISLEADING.

They appear to show no difference between the flu and covid. However, they are based on different time periods and number of infections. The hospitalization for flu is for the year 2018; so likely all the hospitalizations that happened in 2018 because of the flu. On the other hand, since Covid has only been in Canada since end of February, the Covid hospitalizations are only the number for about 6 months.

Second, how many Canadians got the flu in 2018 that resulted in those hospitalization numbers. And how does that compare to the number of Canadians how have had Covid which resulted in those hospitalization numbers. If an equal number of Canadians got Covid in the 6 months as got the flu in 2018, then the charts would be a fair comparison. But that is not the case.

And the third chart focuses on just two months of deaths, from Aug 6 to Oct 6. Why aren't the deaths from the first few months of the pandemic also compared? We know the first wave hit Spain and UK before Sweden so is it not possible that what we are seeing is the second wave hitting in those countries and has not yet hit Sweden? Afterall, case numbers are now rising in Sweden.

Comment

Originally posted by Hamloc View Post
              So I am curious DML where does personal responsibility come into play. Personally I think the danger of COVID-19 is somewhat exaggerated, having said that I have minimized my trips to town and I take hand sanitizer with me when I go to town. Why is everyone blaming politicians, can we not take personal responsibility for our own actions? I don’t run my daily routine based on what a politician says. Is Trump less than intelligent, in my opinion yes. But he didn’t design and build the U.S. medical system, he didn’t personally make a high percentage of Americans overweight, he didn’t make Americans sit on their butts in front of some form of electronic screen. Could he have taken the pandemic more seriously? Certainly. The biggest problem I see is that for some reason we think government can and should have the answers, elected officials are really no more clairvoyant or intelligent than the average person, they just have a larger opinion of themselves! The biggest problem today is the average person can’t solve their own problems!!
              I fully agree that there is not enough personal responsibility in today's society. If you want to do something that endangers yourself, why should society have to protect you from your own irresponsibility. However, in the case of a pandemic with no existing vaccines or proven the****utics, you are not just endangering yourself but putting others at risk as well so the personal responsibility argument does not apply. When young people have a Covid party to see who gets it first as was happening in the US, not only are they putting themselves at risk, but they likely will carry Covid to others who are practicing personal responsibility and following guidelines to minimize spread of the virus. So who is supposed to hold such irresponsible bahavior accountable other than government?

Comment

Hamlock, I might add, everyone knows drinking and driving is wrong. Responsible people don't do it, or have a designated driver, or make other arrangements. Yet drunk driving is still a leading cause of accidents, often involving innocent third parties. You can be as responsible as you want, you are still at risk of drivers who are drunk. Laws are not for law abiding people, they are intended to stop irresponsibility.

Comment

Originally posted by dmlfarmer View Post
                  Hamlock, I might add, everyone knows drinking and driving is wrong. Responsible people don't do it, or have a designated driver, or make other arrangements. Yet drunk driving is still a leading cause of accidents, often involving innocent third parties. You can be as responsible as you want, you are still at risk of drivers who are drunk. Laws are not for law abiding people, they are intended to stop irresponsibility.
                  Well look at our politicians almost boasting who has the most convictions for drunk driving. And no political punishment.
                  It’s a crime not punished nearly as hard as should. When your sober you know that drinking and driving can kill someone yet the defence is well that person was drunk so it was an accident sorry it wasn’t an accident that you decided to do this.

Comment

Bigwheel, but alcohol impairs judgement. Everyone becomes a "Driver Education" teacher when they're impaired.

Derail,

Get back on track you guys.

I'm sure it's been long enough since the Wuhan outbreak that " authorities" know what their dealing with. It may be very contagious, as is alot of flus, but it may have been proven alot less virulent than first suspected. In saying so, maybe it should be up to the most at risk to take the precautions necessary to protect themselves instead of relying on the rest of society to curb the spread and ultimately prolong needed herd immunity to put this in check. And hopefully an effective vaccine to make treating people easier and lessen the worst symptoms.
                    Last edited by farmaholic; Oct 12, 2020, 07:23.

Comment

Hamloc, Please answer this question I posted earlier

Please explain how seniors in nursing homes and assisted living and others with compromised health are supposed to solve their own problems when it comes to avoiding covid 19? Its pretty difficult to avoid the risk factor of aging don't you think!

Are you suggesting that the rest of us shouldn't play a role in keeping them safe by avoiding spreading covid 19 to the vulnerable by following guidance from public health officials?

Comment

There is definitely an element of concern in that last post.

Comment

We have two parents in Long Term Care. Can’t say they are, “safe”. About 33 people, constantly changing people a day come in contact with the one mother, likely similar contact instances with other mother too. Many of these workers are young people from varied backgrounds. Just within the one nursing unit 33 people go to serve 62 patients a day. 33x62 contact points. Those 33 workers go home at night and stop at the store, touch their mailbox, pick up their prescription, maybe get on a bus. But since March 11 th. no one in our family was allowed into her unit. Neither mother has been allowed out to see the summer. Normally, we would take her out to the flower beds everyday, take her to the community gardens to walk, take her to see the Legislative flower beds and out to the combines. Our 96 year old mother’s clock stopped in March 2029 and she thinks there’s still snow on the ground from last winter. This 96 year old is a totally lucid, remembering everything person. Please explain to me how this life-saving strategy is helping her.

Comment

I agree there is lack of personal responsibility in many cases for personal health with many people not taking care of their health.

But this does not apply in addressing the very high risk factors for vulnerable seniors and others with a compromised immune system through no fault of their own. Seniors are the highest risk group by far and make up the largest share of covid fatalities.

Its a stupid suggestion that somehow seniors should take all responsibility for protecting themselves in the middle of a pandemic. Everyone is responsible for not spreading covid to vulnerable seniors.
                            Last edited by chuckChuck; Oct 12, 2020, 08:16.

Comment

With all due respect sumdum, would she be better off under your roof if you had the willjngness and ability to care for her?

Physical, emotional, personal relationships might prevent the possibility. Glad my parents are still able to look after themselves with a bit of help from their kids, but at least they have a little more control over their exposure. They are by no means completely isolated. Health care nurse enters their home twice a week. And my siblings and myself aren't completely isolated either. Thats not possible. Mitigate as much risk as possible if you're at all concerned.

Comment

Originally posted by chuckChuck View Post
                                Hamloc quote "The biggest problem today is the average person can’t solve their own problems!!
                                Huh?

Please explain how seniors in nursing homes and assisted living and others with compromised health are supposed to solve their own problems when it comes to avoiding covid 19? Its pretty difficult to avoid the risk factor of aging don't you think!

Are you suggesting that the rest of us shouldn't play a role in keeping them safe by avoiding spreading covid 19 to the vulnerable by following guidance from public health officials?
                                The question is this Chuck2 is why I should answer your question, you never answer mine or anyone else’s!

I do however have a couple of thoughts in relation to your question. There is no doubt that early in the pandemic the fact that health care aides that worked in more than one extended care facility(had to to get enough hours) spread COVID between facilities and caused a lot of unnecessary deaths. The question is if I don’t wear a mask when I go to the grocery store does this put the person in the extended care facility at risk? My mother is 89 and my father in law is 91, neither is in an extended care facility thankfully. I am very mindful of where I go and what I do as I don’t want either of them infected.

The real question then becomes how to protect those in extended care? I would think any visitors must mask up. Somehow staffing issues must be managed to eliminate spread between facilities. So in short people of high risk must be protected and I believe the rest of the population must try to live as normal of an existence as possible. Did this answer your question Chuck2, still funny how you react to someone not answering your question LOL!

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...