• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Weather perspective aussie style

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weather perspective aussie style

I live in the driest state in driest continent.

Good rains here over last 2 to 3weeks.

In my state in station grazing only country nevada dry or ghetto dry, in last 3 weeks have had morecrain than last two years combined.

In NSW a guy started harvest today, reapt more grain today than all of last year.

My average is 340 mm thereabouts

Seed mid april to late may harvest mid nov to when ever

Click image for larger version

Name:	83F92CDA-7B60-4E2B-9561-7D55365BA48A.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	19.7 KB
ID:	779498

Good to hear you're getting rain.
    Also good to hear because all we hear here is the bullish wheat stuff.

Comment

340 mm,thats over 13 inches, thats about average here, more than adequate to grow a crop. Of course we dont have the high temperature you do.

Comment

Originally posted by Horse View Post
        340 mm,thats over 13 inches, thats about average here, more than adequate to grow a crop. Of course we dont have the high temperature you do.
        Spread out over the 12 months put graph there to show distribution

Comment

nor do we grow 2 crops/year

Comment

Originally posted by malleefarmer View Post
            Spread out over the 12 months put graph there to show distribution
            I am no good at cut and paste but our normal rain for may 50mm june 85mm july 90mm aug 35mm then snow app 34in per yr 10 in = 1 in water so app 90mm moisture equivalent.
            Luckly most of our rain comes during our crop season. Hope that is clear.

Comment

I am no good at cut and paste but our normal rain for may 50mm june 85mm july 90mm aug 35mm then snow app 34in per yr 10 in = 1 in water so app 90mm moisture equivalent.
              Our ground being froze for half the year might make a difference compared to baking in the sun😉

Comment

Snow dont give ya heaps of moisture then

Comment

Originally posted by malleefarmer View Post
                  Snow dont give ya heaps of moisture then
                  Mostly good for refilling dugouts and sloughs. Makes the mountains look pretty too with glaciers and snow capped peaks😉

Soil moisture........... not as much help as one would think.

Comment

Careful what you wish for. You may get to enjoy rain at harvest just like we had the past two seasons. (18 and 19) That will be lots of fun. Happy for the dry weather we just got this past month so this harvest was dry after the flooding this summer. Wheat and peas on my farm after getting 2 ft of rain were likely poorer than what you got the past couple of drought seasons. In addition, we got a frost on Aug 30 this year in some places enough to do damage. Bottom line is you have way better weather than we do. Even the fabled ghetto has it better than the awful shit we get here. It used to be much better around here, but the last 6 years have just been a continuous horror show. Dependent on crop insurance, As far as snow is concerned: for the most part it is useless, but is can also be detrimental. Hate the stuff.

Comment

......."fabled ghetto"??????

Well I've never!
                      No more a fable than the Garden of Eden or the Swamp.
                      If you weren't born here, you wouldn't live or farm here.
                      It's a curse that not even the Grace of God can rescue you from.

Comment

Originally posted by farmaholic View Post
                        ......."fabled ghetto"??????

Well I've never!
                        No more a fable than the Garden of Eden or the Swamp.
                        If you weren't born here, you wouldn't live or farm here.
                        It's a curse that not even the Grace of God can rescue you from.
                        I will give you 50% on that,the swamp is real I have seen many, garden of eden thats 1 of the largest fables in history.
                        How much rain is normal in the ghetto ??

Comment

This is recorded "growing season" moisture for my region since 1961. 200-225mm is pretty standard fare April 1 to sept 30. Non growing season moisture is generally minimal. Chinooks typically nuke it off 4+ times during the winter. I think we had 4 spring breakup periods last winter...

Comment

How’s harvest in your area horse?
                            You were really wet there ?

Comment

There aren’t many places in Saskatchewan that averages over twenty inches (500 mm) of precipitation a year. But that is us.

Coupled with much cooler temperatures than most other places, and yep, it’s like Scotland.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...