• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why the Right to Repair is a Crucial Fight we Must Win

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Klause View Post
    Well, what's the market based solution, then? I'm all for open enterprise... Do we start companies like CCIL was and manufacture equipment that's basic, works, and is competitive? Would that force other companies to follow suit?
    If there was a market for NEW simple easy to repair, affordable equipment, someone would have filled that void by now.

Truth is, anyone who acn afford/justify/needs new equipment, apparently is more concerned about features and comforts and shinyness. Manufacturers aren't making something and forcing it onto the market, they are responding to customer demands. The farmer who buys 15 year old equipment to fix themselves isn't the target demographic, and likely still wouldn't buy new if there was a cheaper simpler alternative.

How well are the new Kirovets selling in North America?
    Or the Versatile combines?
    Last edited by AlbertaFarmer5; Oct 5, 2020, 14:52.

Comment

Originally posted by AlbertaFarmer5 View Post
      If there was a market for NEW simple easy to repair, affordable equipment, someone would have filled that void by now.

This argument.... "If that's such a great idea, it would have been done by now!" Has got to be the absolutely most regressive argument ever. I'm sure people told Thomas Eddison, Henry Ford, Elon Musk, and thousands of other people that have progressed technology, systems, and inventions the exact same thing.

Remember a few years ago when Versatile built bare-bones 4WDs that were destined for Russia, but couldn't get shipped? They were 375HP tractors, no bells and whistles and sold for around $220,000. They were gone within two months... A hundred tractors.

Trust me, there's demand. Comparing that to Russian tractors selling here is foolhardy. The North American market is notoriously hard to penetrate for other manufacturers, much less the "quirky" Russians. Look how long it took Claas to gain a foothold, and they had to start with completely hiding their name and plastering CAT on the side.

Truth is, anyone who acn afford/justify/needs new equipment, apparently is more concerned about features and comforts and shinyness. Manufacturers aren't making something and forcing it onto the market, they are responding to customer demands. The farmer who buys 15 year old equipment to fix themselves isn't the target demographic, and likely still wouldn't buy new if there was a cheaper simpler alternative.
      Exactly. You made my point perfectly. So, since the 2nd, and 3rd owners aren't the "target demographic", who allows them to keep repairing their equipment? Or are all those guys supposed to roll over and sell out to the BTOs that can trade multiple units every year. If that's the case, what happens to those trades? Just pile them in a junk yard?

Doesn't work.

I agreed a market based solution would be great, and asked you to provide possible solutions... Instead, you decided tearing apart my example was a better idea. I'm still waiting for an actual "market" solution that would save us from needing legislation to protect the rights of those that own equipment.

Comment

Originally posted by Austrian Economics View Post
        True to some extent. But you can't get the source code for Windows from Microsoft.
        Actually, MSDN (Microsoft Developer Network) provides massive amounts of documentation for Windows. They also provide SDKs (Software Developer Kits), APIs (Application Programming Interfaces), and development & Debug tools for Windows. What R2R does, is force the manufacturers of equipment to do the same.

"If you build a tractor, and don't give the buyer the ability to repair the equipment, then you need to make it so other software can be loaded onto it that is repairable." No. There is no such "need".
        There's no such need... because you say so? And you are who exactly to be able to make that determination?

If anyone wants to create after market computerized systems that will run farm equipment they are free to do so. The fact that this is not widespread indicates that such firms would not be able to compete cost wise. Since features are added every model year, just keeping up with the pace of them would be cost-prohibitive all on its own.

See point one. Without APIs and SDKs. Documentation. It's nearly impossible, and incredibly slow to develop anything. I can go into the specifics of CAN addresses and sensor values, but there is no need.

Suffice to say, if I need to recalibrate the ILS suspension on my 8220, I don't want to pay a dealer $1500 to "hook up the laptop and run the routine". I want to know which HCU address it is, and do it myself.

Comment

Right to Repair kicks in when you are dealing with older equipment.
          Machinery today will just quit working completely due to some phantom electronic bug. The days of jerry-rigging machinery is over. It has to work as advertised or its scrap iron.

10 grand for a couple of upgraded boards (because you can't get the old ones anymore) is common. The new ones come complete with a glitch or two because for some reason it is not 100% compatible.
          Proprietary equipment should mean pride of workmanship. Instead, I am convinced there is no more quality in electronic ag machines these days than in your bedside clock radio. Mushy buttons, archaic software and two bit screens.

When you get the tech guy out and he starts swapping out parts till something different happens you realize what a jam you are in.
          In the new environmentally friendly world how is all of this sustainable?

Comment

How well are the new Kirovets selling in North America?
            Or the Versatile combines?
            I dont get why buyers keep looking for more and more technology on the equipment, just more stuff to fail for very little gain.

There was a demo on one of those 4wd Kirovets in our area a while back so thought I would check the price out. I'd be willing to try something off brand if the price was right but they aren't cheap. I bet the depreciation on them would be higher than any of the mainstream tractors.

Comment

Originally posted by furrowtickler View Post
              There are many many examples on here over the past few years of parts way overpriced.
              Kinda sounds like a machinery dealer ???
              Maybe not but really ? Have you not had to buy parts the past 3-4 years ? It’s ridiculous now
              A few years back I had to buy a canvas roller assembly for my CIH 5000 swather. $425 from our case dealership. $ 140 from our local hardware/farm supply store. Difference : I had to wait 2 days for the cheaper one. I waited. It was right in the middle of haying season , but you have to draw the line somewhere. a few eyes were opened up when I told them what their competition was selling the same parts for!

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
              • Return to Topic List
              Working...