• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Herbicide Resistance

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The only long term solution I see is to create a business and legal environment which would encourage research and development of new chemistries.
    The current system, where after spending years/decades and countless millions of dollars to create a product, then prove its efficacy, and safety to every concievable species at every stage of growth, and every possible scenario, and then repeat it over again in every jurisdiction to get it registered, the company is still subject to nuisance lawsuits running into the billlions, based on circumstantial evidence, by people who apparently don't follow the label, put forth by parasitic lawyers, and encouraged by the likes of our very own Austranada.

Who in their right mind would expose themselves to such a risk?

As a lobbyist, this is where your efforts would be best directed, if this is the issue you feel is the most pressing. Unfortunately, I expect the Canadian market alone is too small to justify the expense of developing new chemistry, so it needs to be coordinated on a worldwide, which looks increasingly unlikely given the protectionist nature of the world today.

And even if this were to happen I would assume any new products would be a generation away at best.

Comment

Ryegrass is one of the glyphosate resistance issues here on some farms.

Some enterprising guys this year planning to harvest it and sell it as glyphosate tolerant.

Livestock guys will be most interested.

Guess you guys have herbicide resistance testing services?

Comment

Start growing perennials.

Reduces the need for herbicides.

Comment

Originally posted by tweety View Post
          oh no you don't, farmers have been passing the buck far too long. There isn't much profit margin left in products long off patent.

More importantly, what are you doing? What are your commissions doing? What are you doing to advocate to consumers you're not trying to kill them? What are farm orgs doing to directly deal with upcoming resistance issues?

And the "you" is farmers, not beaverdam specifically.
          We have been passing the buck far too long ... lol
          So now it’s our fault lol ... wow

Spoken like a true chem retailer

Comment

Oh I know, I know.....

Hire a freshly minted Diploma Agrologist.

Solutions are free!
            They pay for themselves!
            You'll be money ahead.
            Thank me later.

Comment

Comment

Now turn the head of the hammer around - on the cane pic

Comment

Originally posted by Taiga View Post
                  I thought you were the ‘policy’ guy/girl. What do you want, what a waste of time you are.
                  Maybe go express your inherent rage at a post about something less serious, like the lobster one. Or go kick your dog again.

Furrow, it's not your fault, plants adapt and resistance is a natural progression. The smart business person sees an upcoming major problem and begins dealing with it or at the very least trying to deal with it. Are you a smart business person or not?

Comment

Maybe go express your inherent rage at a post about something less serious, like the lobster one. Or go kick your dog again.

Furrow, it's not your fault, plants adapt and resistance is a natural progression. The smart business person sees an upcoming major problem and begins dealing with it or at the very least trying to deal with it. Are you a smart business person or not?
                    Been keeping a balanced chem and crop rotation for years, have no issue , so yup , must be .

Comment

Furrow, it's not your fault, plants adapt and resistance is a natural progression

????????????????

Comment

Originally posted by shtferbrains View Post
                        Furrow, it's not your fault, plants adapt and resistance is a natural progression

????????????????
                        Ya not sure what the deal is here .
                        We don’t have an issue , but tweety on a mission lol . I guess maybe because I was the only one to reply.
                        Proper herbicide and crop rotation and using multiple modes of action in some crops seems to be very effective.
                        Having a planter that we can seed different crops allows us some more flexibility as well.
                        He is rambling on and on about weed resistance, must be a problem where ever he / she is at .

Comment

Originally posted by furrowtickler View Post
                          Ya not sure what the deal is here .
                          We don’t have an issue , but tweety on a mission lol . I guess maybe because I was the only one to reply.
                          Proper herbicide and crop rotation and using multiple modes of action in some crops seems to be very effective.
                          Having a planter that we can seed different crops allows us some more flexibility as well.
                          He is rambling on and on about weed resistance, must be a problem where ever he / she is at .
                          Guess “it” hasnt seen all the trials you have posted
                          No one on here does more thinking outside the box than you from my standpoint ?
                          Just the instigator/troll way , offer SFA to the conversation , just argue black is white

Comment

Resistance refers to a herbicide that had a target site on a plant and controlled it, but no longer does. Just like drug resistance, fungicide resistance etc. Worked before, doesn't work now.

Special interest lobbying could result in the loss of a herbicide - like glyphosate. Even sadder/worse then resistance.
                            Agree for sure , so what is your solution?

Comment

Originally posted by furrowtickler View Post
                              Agree for sure , so what is your solution?
                              My solution is for farmers to recognize the seriousness of this problem and do something about it. Stop ignoring it.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...