• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Farm magazine articles

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Those magazines are simply propaganda pieces for the advertisers and that stands to reason. I used to like farm magazines from year ago when they profiled innovative ideas from farmers. Today there is not much of that since the better ones are incorporated into the production methods in use today. Not much adverts in stories that you propose but it would be nice if more of them are told some how. I agree that it would be nice to fill up rural areas rather than depopulate but that is likely a pipe dream. One of the biggest drivers of depopulation is artificially low interest rates. This drives constant farm expansion and the old people to hoard their assets meaning no opportunity in rural areas. The other factor has been the phenomenal growth in government. Far too easy to move to the city and get a government job. The later is no longer the case especially for white guys so we may see some innovation in the future as a result of that. Artificially low rates are back due to covid and are here to stay unfortunately.

I have run a $500 baler but this summer ran a 15 year old baler with net wrap. Both were Deere. Leaps and bounds.
    Last edited by ajl; Sep 5, 2020, 06:58.

Comment

I really don’t think there is a bias against these kinds of stories Sheepwheat. There just isn’t very many of them. If we raise the bar to someone is making a living doing it (fine if they have help) there just isn’t that many. I know of 3-4 families who tried to use the Joel Salatin model and after a few years gave up because it is very hard or they couldn’t make a living. Although I am as conventional as they come I have tremendous respect for the management and execution of a guy like Joel Salatin. It takes 3 times the skill to do what he does compared to what I do. And my bookshelf has several of his books and if I see a new article or story on him I am very intrigued. But the fact of the matter is very few people have the skill to replicate what he does and I am not that interested in a story about someone who works at the mine or for the RM and sells a few halves of beef. Not because I am arrogant or think I am better than them but in order to hold my interest they need to be able make a living doing what they are doing.
      Last edited by Grahamp; Sep 5, 2020, 07:06.

Comment

Quite a few super farms promoted in the past in those articles are done within 2 years ......

Comment

Originally posted by furrowtickler View Post
          Quite a few super farms promoted in the past in those articles are done within 2 years ......
          Same as OYF. Death sentence for the farm

Comment

As other posters have pointed out, the farmer buying a $500 baler and used nails/fencing material is not the target demographic for any advertiser. And every magazine is dependent on advertising revenue.

And I fall in that category too. Even though I am no longer small, I still run this operation about the same as the neighbor that Sheepwheat describes. On the cattle end, still using a 30 year old baler, and a discbine that has more weight in welding rod than factory metal( although both did get an upgrade finally this year, but still in use). But not doing this on a small scale. Last year was 1500 bales, a few years ago when we were salvaging hailed crops, it was 3000 bales. Lumber, fencing material, posts etc, is all salvaged from land we buy. Main chore tractor is over 50 years old. No advertiser is wasting their efforts targeting me.

Grain equipment is somewhat newer, and on a much bigger scale, but nearly free since the real grain farmers wouldn't touch it. Growing grain in a very very high risk area, the risk/reward for additional inputs is questionable, when snow, frost, hail, floods are almost certain, so I also have one of the lowest input costs per bushel. The only advertiser who is interested in my business is Ritchie Bros and other auctions.

But according to our accountants, our profits are in a league of their own. The attitude that was developed out of necessity, still serves us well now that we are better established, so why change it now. Frees up capital to buy land.

None of that is interesting to the average reader though. Nothing shiny, doesn't look impressive from the road. I've got part time quarter section farmer neighbors with more money invested ( and I use the term loosely)in equipment than I have.

Comment

Originally posted by furrowtickler View Post
              Yes the fcc supported crowd with half the assets they required for the loans and oh how smart they are. Gone like the wind is a theme for more than a movie.

We have to keep in mind we produce way more than our population needs. I agree we should be using home grown food here first there would be opportunity on a limited level to supply that
              But the reality is all these acres we have the product has to move as an export also.to do that you have to compete with the subsidized governments of the world. Unfortunately as that is it’s the fact of life here.

Comment

Honestly The Big Wheel... it's responses like yours that tend to keep smaller, new operations, quiet amongst conventional crowds.

You may not mean things in laughing, scathing, mocking terms, but that's sure how it feels from the other side.

I rent 11 acres (currently working on buying it but a pandemic kind of stepped into the middle).

I run my cows on a new neighbours 20ish acres - last year it was for limited rent, this year I only have to pay in beef. (Maybe this is being given to me as well so is unfair?)

The acreage does have an old barn although it's not used much for the cattle. Next to no corrals but I did build some feeble ones off some kijiji deal, weird cut lumber. Can't say weird sized lumber helped my fledgling fencing skills... it's not a clean looking corral but so far nobody's destroyed it Haha

My biggest cost is feed for the winter. I don't want to get feed for free so I usually trawl around for a deal that helps my costs - who doesn't. The longer I'm in this area, and now that I work closer to home, the more farmers I'm meeting so that is helping. Landlord had some hailed out barley, neighbour silage baled it, I was able to buy 40 off them and save them a couple long trips home. They nicely unloaded them in the yard for me as I don't have a hugger thing. I love silage bales for not wasting if I don't feed them all out, hate them in that I don't have the equipment to move them without wrecking them so I rely on a good samaritan close enough with a hugger. I even have a dream of trying to be organized enough that my landlords will be game for experimenting with some cover crops on a couple acres beside the acreage. They get their main crop off, my cows can go graze afterwards when their summer pasture is done, but I cringe at feeding bales yet. We can fiddle around and see how it helps or hinders the soil or crop in those few acres to the rest of the field. We were hoping to try that this year but again, pandemic chaos.

I only have about 7 mature animals. This year I have 3 yearling heifers we've also kept back. I'm over maximum capacity and this winter will probably suck because of it but maybe it will get me in gear to sell all the calves before winter (every year I say I need to, every year I somehow fail LOL) Also there is a family dynamic going on about what's kept which is a constant struggle. That has to be a necessary part of farming as well doesn't it?

My marketing is simple, sell weaned calves to private buyers who want to raise them for themselves. Nothing most beef farmers couldn't do although many of their calves are just that step more wild than mine. And while extremely hard and a make work project to find private buyers for 100+ calves, finding them for 8 isn't usually too bad. I have return buyers and new buyers that come and go. No extraordinary prices, just whatever the auction is selling for. The cows raising multiple calves helps keep the income more than the cows outcome, even more so when the few single raising cows gradually get aged out from the herd.

Goal to help improve efficiency is to one year finally manage the AI course at Olds. I like my bulls, they've been gentlemen, but they do eat a hell of a lot for their small job requirement and I've yet to talk family into butchering them. They're old school enough they believe in bull taint and the math that a bull worth $2200 at the auction could easily be worth $4800 as hamburger hasn't been accepted yet.

Every year I also try and carry over a steer for butchering. I don't have the summer pasture to support keeping more than one to finish but one day I would like too. I have friends who buy halves if I don't need them for myself, and family in the city who's becoming interested however freezer space and large cost is an inhibitor for them. They've shown some interest in this years chicken crop though so I'm going to crunch some numbers and see if it's worth raising a handful of chickens to sell to family and friends (I do like my chickens)

Now how am I helped? My landlord plows the driveway in the winter. He helps fix things if required, like when the barn well shit the bed or when one of the hay guys took out the gate post on the driveway. But that's the benefit of renting - one that kind of makes me shudder for buying. Not that he won't come help fix a post if I need him, but bills like shitty wells will become mine. There is something to be said for less stress with renting. When butchering I line things up with borrowing his tractor so we can load the carcass. He and his brother are very helpful although I try not to ask for too much. I don't like being a pain.

Really the farm doesn't support itself. The cows can support themselves but they don't make much overhead to do many changes. So I have an off farm job that pays the bills and all other of life's necessary and unnecessary purchases. Like yesterday, we got a tractor!! Ohohoho!! Look at it, she's a beaut. I no longer have to bother the landlord to plow the snow AND she should be able to lift a round bale! Up to now we've just been dragging them around the yard with the truck. Works fine, this will be nicer. Bonus is it came with a mower so I can attack my thistle army that really loved the weather this year.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6831.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	97.1 KB
ID:	770081

Yes, I'm extremely small scale. Yes I have high hopes for what I can manage with my small scale. Yes, many of those hopes rely on very local neighbours willing to help out. But by help out I mean let me utilize unused coulees or fenced fields once the crop is off or (before) borrow their tractor one hour a year. I'm not against payment or helping them out and I love distributing baked goods for favours.

I've been told why don't you just get a loan or a line of credit. Hahahahahahaha Well that's not that easy when you have no assets or family with assets. FCC needed you to have one or the other, haven't checked them out lately because they've never had a program before that would assist me in any way. I also don't mind building as I can. Yes it's a slow slog, but I have little debt. Many of the people who chuckle at my set up or tell me to get a loan have high large monthly payments they need to make themselves. And I must say, it's much easier to not be stressed about the fickleties of Mother Nature when I don't have a huge overhead. My monthly bills aren't that much different than someone living in town.

I get asked why do I even bother. Apparently I need to farm more to make it worthwhile?

I get asked why don't I try some other way. Well I like cows and I really can't see any other way in my current situation to do anything. You can have cows without much equipment, harder to do crops. Plus crops just seem way more stressful to me.

I get asked why don't I have a man.... Maybe they think a man would run things better? I don't know of a man ever making things easier so that can't be what the suggestion is insinuating LOL

I honestly can't think of a time someone actually offered me advice. Ok. That's a lie, a friend said he doesn't like silage bales because one year they tried it and the birds pecked holes in them everywhere. But other than that, advice is very low, judgement seems to be very high. Of course, the highest is just people who keep quiet, maybe they have advice and just don't feel comfortable offering it, who knows. But such is human nature that advice and positive support aren't easily remembered, judgement and negativity are.

The Big Wheel, your posts will be more easily remembered by myself and anyone in a similar position to me than any of Sheepwheats talking about how much he wants to help his small time friend make a go of it. While many people want to be memorable, is that something you'd want to be remembered for? Being the negative one.

Comment

Blaithin...

Asking is the easiest way for advice good or bad...then its still up to you to weigh the decision you make....important to remember that it is your decision based on advice from all sides....

You may not like bigly wheel's comments but somewhere within all of that is something .....never discount the way the message comes....think it through...and the printed word is tough to decipher at the best of times...especially on this forum...

Comment

[QUOTE While many people want to be memorable, is that something you'd want to be remembered for? Being the negative one./QUOTE]

Farming101 appointed me in charge of negative waves around here!

Comment

Originally posted by bucket View Post
                      Blaithin...

Asking is the easiest way for advice good or bad...then its still up to you to weigh the decision you make....important to remember that it is your decision based on advice from all sides....

You may not like bigly wheel's comments but somewhere within all of that is something .....never discount the way the message comes....think it through...and the printed word is tough to decipher at the best of times...especially on this forum...
                      Absolutely. I'm in no way discounting the giving of advice and I realize it's always up to people whether they listen or not (I didn't listen about the silage bales after all Hah)

The Big Wheel also has valid points in his posts. However it's comments like this

Oh I see ya there’s all these pastures just waiting to be used? Your giving him all free stuff so ya I could grain farm no debt if someone gave me all the inputs free. Lmao!
                      and

When you say mailing it on their own new farmers without loans you mean they were given a land base a house and equipment right? Because anyone with enough cash for that wouldn’t be risking that money on a new farm.
                      That will lead much of what he says to be discredited. Rightly or wrongly.

The first comes off as mockery, and maybe even a little bit of jealousy? Haha he needs stuff for free, why won't anyone give me stuff for free?!

The second makes it sound like the people in question had to be given a large portion of what they currently have in order to make a go because nobody would be dumb enough to invest in a future of farming. This probably comes from the jaded perspective of being a farmer and the hard work it can be, but the truth is there's quite a few people trying to make a move "back to the land" as it were. It's not for established farmers to feel it's a bad investment or only dumb people would do it. Those people are on a totally different side of the coin and where their priorities are different doesn't mean they're wrong or stupid.

Now I can understand some of where he's coming from. I think a lot of farmers when faced with the "Why don't more people help out new farmers" feel attacked and judged that they aren't helping. Not everyone is in a position where they can help which is fine, and some aren't willing too, that's also fine. Much like deciding to take advice or leave it, it's everyone's personal choice.

And I'm not saying that Big Wheel does this, but there are a handful of people I've seen who complain that nobody wants to start farming, there are no new farmers, and then proceed to list the reasons why they won't be the ones to offer a helping hand to new farmers. While I've found comments like Big Wheels are the norm when discussing my approach with bigger, conventional farmers, they aren't really discouraging. They're more or less expected really. The world can't all be positive, participation trophies. Heck, I've seen conventional guys tell other conventional guys that won't work, why bother. Nothing new there!

But the guys that say there needs to be fresh blood and then complain about having to help and why they would never help and how any little bit of help would be too much work for them to make it worthwhile.... Those ones can go suck on a rock. They're being hypocrites of the highest order.

And to tie this in back to SheepWheats original point - I would love to see more up and coming farmer articles because those are the people that are doing things just a little bit different which can inspire ideas for others. It can be hard to think outside the box when all you see is more conventional themed stuff being done and you're being asked why bother all the time. But I do understand the logic of it not earning the marketing of the bigger stories.
                      Last edited by Blaithin; Sep 5, 2020, 11:26.

Comment

Originally posted by farmaholic View Post
                        [QUOTE While many people want to be memorable, is that something you'd want to be remembered for? Being the negative one./QUOTE]

Farming101 appointed me in charge of negative waves around here!
                        Best get on it then, you're slacking.

Harvest is no excuse to drop that ball, you should be drowning in negativity!

Comment

Originally posted by Blaithin View Post
                          Best get on it then, you're slacking.

Harvest is no excuse to drop that ball, you should be drowning in negativity!
                          I am. No water here to tread. But the negative waves will get ya. Strong undertow too....can't be too careful.

Comment

Blaithin, good for you and good luck in your ventures. Most important part is that you are enjoying what you are doing. As Bucket says, ask for advice, most people love to teach what they know. You pick and choose what you listen to and what you don't. There are not a lot of production cycles in a lifetime of agriculture so often better to share experiences than lose a whole cycle because of bad decisions.

On the other side though, most of us have seen lots of want to be farmers come and go, it is easy to become cynical and dismissive. The majority have unrealistic expectations and give up. Often dont have the work ethic required to succeed. New ideas and ways are great and important but lots of ideas are just not feasible for reasons that can be seen by someone with experience. I have tried to help people and watch them give up or quit and it gets old. And the cold hard truth is that certain things can just not be done economically on a small scale.

Also becomes a bit of an issue with some back to nature type people. Last week I had a 2 yr old longhorn steer pacing back and forth along my cows and in my wheat field. Came from an acreage 3 miles away. Guy said, "oh I wondered where he went" 3 days later I had to catch him and take him back home because no one came, virtually no fences, place is an eyesore of a junk heap.

This coming from a guy that does everything the hard way, with lots of elbow grease and duct tape. Definately dont fit the mold of the current large scale farms. Small mixed family farm, but pays the bills, enjoyable most days. For what it's worth, we started on our own with very little family or outside help so it can be done.

Comment

Think it's a very narrow market for farm publications. Essentially flyers for chem or fcc.
                              Argument seems to be about lifestyle choice which is the individuals own business. If your hobby or passion is your living, good for you. Few have both.
                              The easiest way at the time was for me to stay on the farm. 40 years later I make a living but have no passion. Does that make me a success?
                              Our definition of "farm" seems to be prejudicial when really, who cares other than the govt?
                              I support anyone who works hard.
                              Not necessarily if they work stupid.
                              And finally, positivity is a decaying skill that needs constant work. Avoiding or ignoring negative people also a learned skill.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...