• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Huge yield loss, over the last 4 wks.

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by macdon02 View Post
    WINNIPEG, Manitoba, Aug 5 (Reuters)*-*Canadian farmers are on track to harvest a record-large all-wheat crop, and more canola than last year, due mainly to favorable crop conditions, farmer advisory service FarmLink Marketing Solutions estimated on Wednesday.

The Winnipeg, Manitoba-based company's staff toured Western Canadian fields during the last two weeks of July. Canada is one of the world's biggest wheat exporters, and the top canola producer.

"We expected a big crop and we saw a big crop," said Neil Townsend, FarmLink's chief market analyst. The wheat crop in particular is an "absolute monster," he said.

The wheat harvest including durum looks to reach nearly 39 million tonnes, surpassing the current record of 37.6 million, set in 2013.

Pandemic lockdowns caused a surge in demand for bread and pasta, made from wheat. (Full Story)

FarmLink estimated canola production at 20.2 million tonnes, up from 18.6 million last year.

Even so, many canola, pea and lentil crops are behind normal development and need favorable late summer weather, according to FarmLink. Canola and cereal crops require additional moisture to reach their potential.

Due to COVID-19 restrictions, the annual tour chose fields less randomly than usual, focusing on client crops. Scouts drove alone and covered more ground, FarmLink said.

Statistics Canada is scheduled to release the government's first estimates of crop production on Aug. 31.

(Reporting by Rod Nickel in Winnipeg, Manitoba; Editing by David Gregorio)

I read the article ...it still begs the question.

Comment

Farm advisors, or trade advisors?

Crop they checked on July 18th, could look very different today, if there hasn't been rain since.
      Last edited by beaverdam; Aug 5, 2020, 15:53.

Comment

Originally posted by beaverdam View Post

Crop they checked on July 18th, could look very different today, if there hasn't been rain since.
        Ha, ha, good for the farmers who pay these guys 4/acre for market advice and turn around and tell the world how huge the crop is. i guess wheat prices starting with a 5 is still too much.

Comment

Farm link is way out to lunch on their numbers. Last year they had a big lentil carry over. There is very little carry over. They had last years average yield At 23 bushels/acre. This year they have 24 bushel/acre. There are lots lentil acres that are zero bushel/acre.

Comment

Originally posted by beaverdam View Post

Is it possible to serve two Masters?

I'm too cheap to pay them(crop, production, marketing advisors) to compile, analyze AND sell my data to third parties.

Read it a couple of times to see if it makes sense.

Edit in, ...the part that "I'm too cheap".

Comment

Wheat crop may be above average ..... but that’s it ...... period.
              Quality is 90% unknown still

Comment

Short memories lol
                WTF happened the past two years again ?? Someone remember those harvests .
                It ain’t in the bin till it’s in the bin

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                • Return to Topic List
                Working...