• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hay Tedder waste of money?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hay Tedder waste of money?

Looking at my hay and the weather forecast and thinking of buying a hay tedder. I have neighbor who used one this year for the first time and was quite happy with the results. It appears that every so often we can squeak out 4 days without rain. Historically I find it takes 5-6 days for my hay to dry. I cut with a self propelled Massey with disc head with double criimpers, only 13 feet wide, need to shorten the drying interval will a tedder help or is it a waste of time and money?

I had a tedder and traded it for a crimper. Neighbours used the tedder too while I had it.

My neighbors now have a tedder and while purely subjective, I think their system beats mine in the drying process.

Their tedder makes a much fluffier windrow than mine = more air flow = more drying. I would guess that their tedder can gain them at least a couple less points of moisture over my crimper.

And I don't think you can plug a tedder, but ask me about plugging a crimper... grrr.

And I hear you about the tiny drying window - that was our experience for the past number of years.

This year was the opposite. We had an incredible 2 week-plus stretch of weather for making good, dry hay.

It was a bit early, but when the forecast opened up with nothing but suns in the picture, guys went all out and cut almost everything at least one week early. Sacrificing quantity for quality is seldom a bad decision.

A tedder is almost a must anymore, IMHO.

Comment

Open your windrow shields up and buy a V-rake. Tedders are for guys in the south with over 80% humidity every day and rain every 3rd day.

Comment

Originally posted by 15444 View Post
        Open your windrow shields up and buy a V-rake. Tedders are for guys in the south with over 80% humidity every day and rain every 3rd day.
        Tedder it is then! Except for the rain every three days. Up here it is two days between rains.

Comment

I lay my windrow as wide as it can go then v rake it. My biggest problem is the rake isn’t heavy enough to pull it up if it’s laid long and the grass grows through it. I should buy a heavier rake. I like the look of those 20 wheel bridgeviews. Not a high yield hay area so could pull 4 of my 13’ swaths together

Comment

Just lay the swath really wide for more drying surface area.
            I would way rather spend the money on a rotary rake than a Tedder.
            Imo v rakes are junk

Comment

Originally posted by Ab7 View Post
              Just lay the swath really wide for more drying surface area.
              I would way rather spend the money on a rotary rake than a Tedder.
              Imo v rakes are junk
              I agree. Rotary rake is superior to a wheel rake. Price point probably keeps people away. There is purgatory and then there is changing rake teeth. How about those bar rakes like Vermeer?

Comment

Back in the day, I hired a good, new crimper, and rented their tedder at same time. And then their v take ahead of baler. Not cheap. But wrapped in a couple days.

Comment

Wgi in spruce groove is suppose to be getting the big 30 ft Pottinger rotary rake in this week... I’m going to drive there just to see it live that will be a sweet unit

Comment

Originally posted by Hamloc View Post
                    Looking at my hay and the weather forecast and thinking of buying a hay tedder. I have neighbor who used one this year for the first time and was quite happy with the results. It appears that every so often we can squeak out 4 days without rain. Historically I find it takes 5-6 days for my hay to dry. I cut with a self propelled Massey with disc head with double criimpers, only 13 feet wide, need to shorten the drying interval will a tedder help or is it a waste of time and money?
                    I've never used a tedder but its gotta be pretty hard on alfalfa leaves. The guys with double crimpers seem to take at least a day off the drying, most seem to lay it about 8ft wide and then rake up. I have a pull type so leave it as wide as I can without driving on it and depending on conditions v rake 2 togeather or rotary rake individually.

I'm sure you know more about your machine than I do but have you adjusted/checked the roller clearance? 5 to 6 days seems excessive drying time for your machine unless its 100% alfalfa. It also helps drying time to cut a bit higher.

Comment

Originally posted by WiltonRanch View Post
                      I agree. Rotary rake is superior to a wheel rake. Price point probably keeps people away. There is purgatory and then there is changing rake teeth. How about those bar rakes like Vermeer?
                      Guess I should have specified a bar V-rake. The wheel rakes are mediocre. Guys think they are great because they can't afford the bar rakes. NH redid their bar V-rake, but still not as heavy built as Vermeer. Rotary is best, but you need to have perfect fields or you start busting support arms and teeth fast.

Comment

A good Tedder will definitely drop a day off the drying time. The best investment we have found though is running BD rollers or Circle C in our disc bine. Crushing all of the stem greatly improves drying time.

Comment

Originally posted by Leduc cowboy View Post
                          Wgi in spruce groove is suppose to be getting the big 30 ft Pottinger rotary rake in this week... I’m going to drive there just to see it live that will be a sweet unit

I have the 842C rake (27.6’) and wouldn’t want to go wider, the windrow would be too huge to fit under the baling tractor. Grow lots here though, other areas may be different.

Still waiting for a 4 rotor rake that will give me two swaths.

Comment

I've made alfalfa/timothy/orchardgrass hay in a single day with a Kuhn tedder. Cut super early, hit it with the tedder twice during the day and rotary raked and baled that night dry. It was a perfect day, only 30 acres and I have never done it again. Ha. I cut with a 12' disc, leave it 11' wide on the ground driving over it of course. Hit it with the tedder the next morning with dew on it and almost always bale it the third day dry and green. Medium square bales.

During the fu cking CWB years and BSE 800 acres of hay kept my farm very profitable. I sold one years production to Dubai for racing camels. That one was a very hard year. (To pay that much income tax) ha.

Comment

Put the widest pick-up you have on an old swather and off set it, but make sure it still covers the throat so you can feed the swath straight through. Straight through will pick the swath up and drop it down . Move to the side and the canvas will flip the swath over very jently. Saved my ass few times . One night late at work my wife and co-workers Googled my name and discovered I was an inventor,been on TV and print all over North America a few times.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...