• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Friday Crop Report on a Thursday.

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by makar View Post
    What sickens me is people who don't get the concept.
    I hear you. I wish you good luck with it. Sure isn’t fun. Grrr.

Comment

Only spray that works is lead and not registered here .
      Works here, the only thing is the application window is quite narrow. 😉

Comment

They only come uninvited and leave rotting carcasses in the middle of the field.
        I would rather have a rotting carcass than another moose tramping through the crop all year.

I have a few first nations "applicators" and they are really respectful, and appreciative of the opportunity. I just need a lot more.

Comment

Originally posted by AlbertaFarmer5 View Post
          I would rather have a rotting carcass than another moose tramping through the crop all year.

I have a few first nations "applicators" and they are really respectful, and appreciative of the opportunity. I just need a lot more.
          Apparantly you haven't scooped one up in August combining peas with a 80000 header, not me but cousin dodged 3 in 1 field. All missing front quarters.
          Last edited by makar; Jul 11, 2020, 23:47.

Comment

Busy planting a different kind of crop this week.

Lotsa fun in the mud and hills here. The hoe is the only thing that will chew through the mud or reach across to avoid it with the tracks at least. My son was out with us for part of the day and I told him that hopefully he doesn’t have to do much maintenance with this fence........... ever.

The corn on the sand is looking like last year which means it’s late and not going to make cobs. The majority that’s on clay ................ not worthy of pics or discussing hardly.

Gave up spraying fungicide and growth regulator part way through as the barley is heading already and the sprayer is sinking and sliding all over. Crop is starting to go down in spots and not looking forward to harvest........ whenever that is. Haying has yet to start and maybe if the rain can stay away for a week the fields might get rid of the standing water at least. It didn’t rain today so that’s a positive start for a trend......

Has anyone else started making hay yet?

Comment

I feel your pain Makar. Not near that bad here, but worse than I expected, and getting too late to bounce back even if it does ever quit raining every day.

The people who say the high ground will make up for it have never been around here. Once our clay gets saturated, crops drown out on hill sides, and flat areas on hill tops, it runs continuously across high land and kills it too. Ground has just been saturated continuously since snow melt. No till, adding lots of fibre, and lots of landscaping and drainage helps a lot, not much can be done when it rains everyday. Official EC station is up to 60 days consecutive days with precipitation( assuming July 1 was an error, when we had an inch, and they show zero).

Wheat still looks really good here. Shouldn't have planted any canola. It was all seeded either side of a 3 inch rain( and during), one quarter was badly compacted from spring combining on the saturated ground, then it kept on raining. Issues with straw, too wet to spread or flow. Flea beetles, and today I see slugs are busy in places. Crusting, compaction. Places that handled the first few big multi inch rains, have recently given up.

Comment

Originally posted by woodland View Post
                Busy planting a different kind of crop this week.

Lotsa fun in the mud and hills here. The hoe is the only thing that will chew through the mud or reach across to avoid it with the tracks at least. My son was out with us for part of the day and I told him that hopefully he doesn’t have to do much maintenance with this fence........... ever.

The corn on the sand is looking like last year which means it’s late and not going to make cobs. The majority that’s on clay ................ not worthy of pics or discussing hardly.

Gave up spraying fungicide and growth regulator part way through as the barley is heading already and the sprayer is sinking and sliding all over. Crop is starting to go down in spots and not looking forward to harvest........ whenever that is. Haying has yet to start and maybe if the rain can stay away for a week the fields might get rid of the standing water at least. It didn’t rain today so that’s a positive start for a trend......

Has anyone else started making hay yet?
                I cut first field of hay yesterday, will wrap it unless the forcast is wrong. Hay wasn't as good as it looks from the road, alfalfa just starting to bloom so is a couple weeks late. We need some heat, this weekend was good but cool days ahead of sub 20 degrees and showers.

Lots of barley only 6 inches tall, only a few fields of early wheat starting to head, gonna need a long fall here.

Comment

Excess water is rally bad. I said it for years as every rain storm dumped 1 to three inches year in year out. Creeks rain continual. Mud is a dud.

Comment

We saw our largest “dump” or piddle of 1/2 inch Friday evening. We need a few more of those. Canola is a pittiful sight. Seems every year we are waiting longer and longer for the “million dollar” rain. 🙏🏼

Comment

Sask farmer, what would make you more money drainage or tile, (assuming you pay for all infrastructure)?

Or maybe it both?

Comment

Originally posted by farmaholic View Post
                        You don't see canola like that in the Slum of the Ghetto. Especially the variety and herbicide system we're growing.
                        Sloooooooooow and darker yellow flowers....not the vigorous plants with the vibrant yellow flowers of the other two systems. But I hope to make it up on price on a respectable yield for what it is. Really hard looking at some.of the pics posted and comparing them to our "overall" crop.....but if I look hard enough I'm sure I could find a plant or area that could compete.....until then I'll accept what's here and keep my expectations low.
                        We like the Canola with holes in the quarter-size leaves. I have a patch I’ve been throwing the bath water on. I could post that picture. 😂

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	E55600F1-96F2-4A8B-AB39-3B830B239F40.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	16.5 KB
ID:	769942
                          12 days after the storm , looks like chernoybyl
                          No leaves on trees
                          Teachers/cops will have trouble tellin us these 5 will come back lol

Comment

Wow Case, the hail adjuster will have a hail of a time deciding whether he should pay you. 😝
                            Last edited by sumdumguy; Jul 14, 2020, 15:47.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	3450D754-614E-4501-B686-A7332D203311.jpg
Size:	19.2 KB
ID:	769943Click image for larger version

Name:	722CF1AE-502A-4753-AF77-BD5D4F813297.jpg
Size:	19.0 KB
ID:	769944Click image for larger version

Name:	8F959472-23CD-4976-A13A-D6DA5A893789.jpg
Size:	19.8 KB
ID:	769945
                              A few pics from ground zero
                              Like this all around the farm , lots of 16” white poplar busted off
                              Apparently winds topped at 150 MPH
                              Luckily environment canada had warned us to wash our hands

Comment

Originally posted by caseih View Post
                                [ATTACH]6397[/ATTACH][ATTACH]6398[/ATTACH][ATTACH]6399[/ATTACH]
                                A few pics from ground zero
                                Like this all around the farm , lots of 16” white poplar busted off
                                Apparently winds topped at 150 MPH
                                Luckily environment canada had warned us to wash our hands
                                Case are you in the Tisdale area? You had one hell of a storm! Hopefully your farm yard didn’t take the whole brunt of the storm. I always hope that any hail storm stays away from the yard. Would take years to rebuild everything. Good luck!

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...