• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ritche Bros, Farm dispersal sale..... interesting?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sheepwheat View Post
    You aren't going the read success stories of garlic farmers in mainstream farm mags. You will never hear about the goat cheesemakers who farm 30 acres and make a great living there either. The yak farmers, the small town abbatoir, the cricket producer, the shitake mushroom farm, the quail farmer, the sheep dairy, the greenhouse supplying restaurants.

There are MANY success stories in the field of diversity, in the realm of different thinking out there. It has been an incredible journey to be on. You aren't going to find them in papers that glorify acres, iron, and high tech farming. Your local banks, fcc, elevator coffee row, are going to be clueless we exist. We're too busy working, making contacts, marketing our products. Actual marketing not putting in gpo's or calling elevators. That is not really marketing, it is begging for the best price someone is willing to pay.

Lots of folks farming differently creating wealth that most will never even hear about, because it isn't on enough acres, or on a scale in the mainstream to be cool.

Just saying.....
    You have to go to "shop local" stores to find them.
    Why???? is my question....government just announced 4 billion dollar project to compete against any of the people that do it without government help....pretty tough to compete against that.
    Last edited by bucket; Jul 5, 2020, 17:30.

Comment

Why what?

Why try and niche out to serve a more select market to support your farm?

Because we can’t all live within an area blessed by government illumination.

Comment

Originally posted by Blaithin View Post
        Why what?

Why try and niche out to serve a more select market to support your farm?

Because we can’t all live within an area blessed by government illumination.
        The west side irrigation project had 40 years to get the group of farmers to build it....they didn't. ...why .....because they would have lost every nickel they had trying to .....and now they can use the money they should have spent on their irrigation dream to other uses....probably to buy out a few neighbors.....and consolidate their community....

That's what will happen. ...

Comment

So wonder are the benefactors heavy sask party supporters?

Comment

Originally posted by the big wheel View Post
            So wonder are the benefactors heavy sask party supporters?
            Is their a rural NDP MLA?

Of course they are saskparty supporters.....they had 40 years to build the westside project but couldn't....they chose to blame the NDP....just like that moron Stewart did the other day....

Shovel ready for 40 years and the only thing stopping them was waiting for the taxpayer to build it for them......not one would risk their money...

Phuck sakes Bill Boyd used his landlord to get money from the government to build his project....

Comment

Well.. Thank you for all of post, lots of supports here. Remind me of 2016, when Cotton left, I felt for him and his family and didn't know how to do something. Then the whole farming community gathered around and offered helps to them. So I found the way to do it. Most of helpers probably never meet Cotton just like myself, still they show sympathy. At that time, I know I was in a right group. Also in passed decade, especially early time of my farming career, I was like a weak secondary school teacher trying to discipline bunch of energetic and naughty boys, (you know their names: weather, machine problems, grain price, storage, transportation, helpers issue, debt etc. ) surprise could come any minutes, no news is good news. Whenever something were bothering me, I came here, looking for solution or idea. Sometimes, when something was not under our control, I came here just to enjoyed the feeling of " I'm not the only one fighting this shit". There is old saying in China: One way to ease your misery is to find someone suffer more. Is it less guilty of just easing misery in this case? You have my apology, anyway, I was made in China, not famous for quality.
              Let me share my opinion regarding some questions:
              [AlbertaFarmer5] I felt a lots of support from your post, really appreciate that. English is my second language. After these many years living in north American, it's still a challenge to me. Most of time, I keep silence simply because I wasn't sure I understood or pretty sure that I didn't. I have nothing but good stuff to say about my neighbours. In that CBC film, a young farmer, questioned a lot about foreign investors. But in reality, when he drove combine passed my field and saw me trying to fix my combine. He jumped right off and helped me with all his efforts and took out some tough kochia from return elevator and kindly gave me some advises. That was in busy harvesting time. His Dad, also in that film, was the one I mentioned in previous post who helped me so much that I called him coach all these years. And pretty much all neighbours were not afraid of sticking their hands out whenever I had problem.
              [Misterjade9] CXP is the worst thing in our world. Terrorists let everyone know that they want to hurt you. CXP pretend to be your business partner with mindset of stealing your technology and market (Nortel), taking advantage of your political system by corrupting your government officers. They have no respect to human rights or any agreement. Killing and harvesting people's organ are nothing to them. They buy our grain because 1st they need food 2nd they have US or Canadian dollars. When they whining about grain quality, it's probably one of those conditions is missing. As a Canadian, I hope our leaders gave them a clear message: if you don't buy from us, we don't buy from you. For what happened to Mrs. Meng in Vancouver, I hope we could find a polite method to tell CXP: this is our way of running our country, if you don't like it, go FXXK youself. If they dare to hurt our citizens, or do anything like 89 Tianmen Square or Hongkong right now, we should consider taking their related government officers' assets (lots of that in Vancouver and Toronto) according to The Global Magnitsky Human Rights Accountability Act. I changed the abbreviation to protect the people I care in China. If someday, I publicly withdraw above statement. It must be their lifes are under threaten. I don't think that I'm dramatic in any sense. Yet, I have to express my opinion about CXP for my friends made ultimate sacrificing in 89 Tiananmen squarer and Hongkong street now.
              [ajl] I agree with Grefer. there is opportunity in farming. Although it's highly unlikely, but If I want to do something for living in future. I'd pack my stuff and happily back to Ogema.
              [RTK] you sounds like a neighbour of me, thank you for you comments. Although, it's not totally true to say I'm just helping two young farmers to rent them my land. They are established and be my friends for many years. We have been helping each others all through my farming career. They also know my land very well and pay fair market price. I couldn't agree your opinion more, help others as much as you can. It's not only enjoyable, but also often come back in right time.
              [Farmaholic] I don't have answer for your question, even though I've been thinking about same thing a lot. I generally like open and free market. When CWB left, I wasn't too worry at all. Right now, in our area, there are not so much investors showing up as 9 years ago. Most land are bought by BTO. Is this ideal situation for young farmers? I was lucky one bought all my land from 2010 to 2012 with a very good Realtor, nothing afterwards.It was too expensive for most of young farmers then, it's too expensive for most of them now. Will things ever change to the direction we'd like to see by restrict farmland ownership? I don't know, guess time will tell. My personal experience told me, young fellow prefer better living now than a chance of owning piece of land in remote future. I totally agree with you to say: I'm lucky that I don't have to start now.
              [the big wheel] There are several reasons that I call it done. The weather of last year put tons of pressure on me. To think about leaving all those flax on field through winter really freak me out, how I'm gonna pay all the bills at end of year? Where can I find money to buy seed, fertilizer and chemical for next year? Over half of my land were seeded flax ( dumb decision), but from early last year, nothing looked profitable at all other than flax. When snow came, most of my flax's moisture were right around 11%. Nobody wanted them. How would I store them through winter even if I could manically finish harvesting? Then one of my full time help leave me for a better life, that didn't make things easy. But the main reason is my family are living in BC. I missed my daughters so much when I was doing farming work. I could keep on farming, but it just doesn't make too much sense to me. Especially early this year, I could rent my land to some good farmers, they need more land too. And I did finish harvesting all my crop last year. It's an achievement, I remember that around 40% of flax spent winter in field last year in Saskatchewan. And price of flax was pretty good at seeding time, even if my flax grade barely make #1. So it turned out to be a profitable year again.

[newguy] [Jazz] [blackpower] [wiseguy][hobbyfrmr] and all others put your thought here. Thank you very much.. your posts had helped me in tough time of my life. I will stay around for sure. Sorry if this post is too long, too late or too boring. Actually, there is only one word is the most important: THANKS

Comment

Originally posted by Blaithin View Post
                I would ask if my phone has racist on block since I don’t see the word in Zephyrs post, but I can read it in yours so obviously it appears when it’s actually said.

Must have missed the day in English class when close minded, egotistical and ignorant were used as demonstrations of synonyms for racist.
                I sat on a RM council for ten years with a reeve that fit every word that was listed in your post. I stepped down because of that , and the never ending "hidden agendas". They can't amalgamate fast enough in my opinion.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                • Return to Topic List
                Working...