• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ritche Bros, Farm dispersal sale..... interesting?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think Sheldon’s post speaks volumes... prairie farmer are helpful folks, I can not even begin to count the times I have stopped to lead a hand to a stranger in need. As times have changed I do approach situations with caution... has nothing to do with racism, you just have to be more careful these days.

Who hasn’t helped a neighbour - the cost of doing so has to be factored in and arrangements made... I can combine a 1/2 section of canola for a little fuel and the idea that someday the favour will be returned. If that neighbour has a family or health problem I would be there no fuel let’s get this done and that worry is looked after. Can I thrash 1000 acres of flat wheat come spring time not sure I can afford to do that...

Weld something up for a neighbour sure be right there or I can come after the kids are out of school or first thing in the morning. I will get it done for you...

Sheldon was very thankful for the help and I am sure helped neighbours where he could as that’s all people want... rented his land to a couple of young farmers - I think he was trying to give them a chance, good on him.

I have some very large neighbours they have out bid me on land, that’s fair, that’s life and I guess I either have to be more aggressive next time or they will out bid me again. Great guys, I learn from them maybe they glean something from me... they ask me what I did on certain fields and they share info with me. Can I bring my equipment to help them finish harvest, no probably not, so would I expect them to help me with my harvest... ah no they need to start on fall work the moment they finish or they risk falling behind. Would they be there if they heard I had a health or family emergency and saw I was struggling. I bet they would be phoning me the moment they got done or would just start combining and bagging and send me a text on what qtrs they where working on...

Rural, conservative type folks are not what is wrong with the country... we are not the problem with the country.

Comment

Originally posted by RTK View Post
      I think Sheldon’s post speaks volumes... prairie farmer are helpful folks, I can not even begin to count the times I have stopped to lead a hand to a stranger in need. As times have changed I do approach situations with caution... has nothing to do with racism, you just have to be more careful these days.

Who hasn’t helped a neighbour - the cost of doing so has to be factored in and arrangements made... I can combine a 1/2 section of canola for a little fuel and the idea that someday the favour will be returned. If that neighbour has a family or health problem I would be there no fuel let’s get this done and that worry is looked after. Can I thrash 1000 acres of flat wheat come spring time not sure I can afford to do that...

Weld something up for a neighbour sure be right there or I can come after the kids are out of school or first thing in the morning. I will get it done for you...

Sheldon was very thankful for the help and I am sure helped neighbours where he could as that’s all people want... rented his land to a couple of young farmers - I think he was trying to give them a chance, good on him.

I have some very large neighbours they have out bid me on land, that’s fair, that’s life and I guess I either have to be more aggressive next time or they will out bid me again. Great guys, I learn from them maybe they glean something from me... they ask me what I did on certain fields and they share info with me. Can I bring my equipment to help them finish harvest, no probably not, so would I expect them to help me with my harvest... ah no they need to start on fall work the moment they finish or they risk falling behind. Would they be there if they heard I had a health or family emergency and saw I was struggling. I bet they would be phoning me the moment they got done or would just start combining and bagging and send me a text on what qtrs they where working on...

Rural, conservative type folks are not what is wrong with the country... we are not the problem with the country.

Interesting....when my dad died 10 years ago the neighbour was more interested in getting the pasture than offering his condolences.

Comment

ajl, its not always what you see on the outside that tells the whole story.

Jazz, I'm not a real fan of pension funds holding farmland either.

What I think means fück all. The last ten or so years of escalating farmland prices enabled retiring farmers to get a good payday for a life time of risk and work. Maybe not so good for young poorly leveraged guys looking to buy in though.
        All I know is I'm glad I'm not at the beginning of my farming expansion and career and am closer to the end.

Comment

Originally posted by Zephyr View Post
          Because most "old timer white farmers" are closed minded, egotistical, and ignorant..
          Wow, should have known farming is racist would eventually rear its ugly head.

How about most young farmers are aggressive, arrogant and entitled? Do you like that generalization?

Maybe try fighting for something for 30yrs before you pass your judgements.

Nobody is wishing for anybody to fail no matter what size they are and there are always people willing to help out, but at the end of the day, this a business, not a charity, and that mentality was hammered into this industry by govts and experts years ago.
          Last edited by jazz; Jul 4, 2020, 12:11.

Comment

This is my favourite story to tell... Once had a guy refuse to take a tire because he could not afford it or return it... it was 40 below that night and had a wife and young baby heading for a job in another province with very little loaded up in his worn out truck or money for that matter. I thought what a fool but obviously he needed work and was in a tough spot. We finally told him we could not let him travel without a spare tire in this weather and even wanted them to spend the night and travel in day light. He reluctantly took a poor spare tire on a rim and we found a couple of old tires that would fit his rim to toss in the back so he had options down the road to fix his flat with. I think 2 years later the tire was returned with a thank you note... wow were we impressed.

Still waiting for a good 4 way tire wrench and hydraulic jack from another situation not sure that is coming back - tire wrench should give a time frame - 15 or 20 years ago perhaps...
            Last edited by RTK; Jul 4, 2020, 12:13.

Comment

Bucket - yep probably the case - but I bet it’s the 80/20 rule... more people than not offered genuine condolences to you and your family. Best to remember those actions than the other.

Comment

Originally posted by wiseguy
                Farma says he don't want to be a serf! Or help pay for someone else's asset while he assume all the risk.

Farma Whines about the price of land then sprays manipulator on wheat !

Not too wise !
                Better capture this before it's deleted.

Only ever used it once on about 160 acres. Have since switched to shorter semi dwarf varieties.

....anything else?

At least I'm not paying someone else $80-100 per acre to farm their land. Nice being able to keep all the revenue off the Slum of the Ghetto, rent a whole 30 acres....lmfao. Too lazy to work for someone else.
                Last edited by farmaholic; Jul 4, 2020, 12:31.

Comment

Originally posted by jazz View Post
                  Wow, should have known farming is racist would eventually rear its ugly head.

How about most young farmers are aggressive, arrogant and entitled? Do you like that generalization?

Maybe try fighting for something for 30yrs before you pass your judgements.

Nobody is wishing for anybody to fail no matter what size they are and there are always people willing to help out, but at the end of the day, this a business, not a charity, and that mentality was hammered into this industry by govts and experts years ago.
                  I would ask if my phone has racist on block since I don’t see the word in Zephyrs post, but I can read it in yours so obviously it appears when it’s actually said.

Must have missed the day in English class when close minded, egotistical and ignorant were used as demonstrations of synonyms for racist.

Comment

Originally posted by Blaithin View Post
                    Needs to be realized that just because someone might not be interested in doing something or want to put the work in, doesn’t mean there isn’t opportunity for others who can.

For example, I think one of the biggest opportunities right now is direct marketing of products. Meat, veggies, fruits, could even do some grain on a smaller scale. Take advantage of the buy local ideals.

But....

Many don’t want to go back to livestock. Work and infrastructure involved.

Many don’t want the hassle that comes with direct marketing. Public relations and running around.

Many aren’t interested in large scale gardening.

Etc etc.

I find there are opportunities, just when people want opportunities they want to get more for what they’re already doing, or similar to what they’re already doing. They don’t want to rethink and restructure their entire management plans. They don’t even particularly want to learn new skill sets.

This is why new farmers and back to the farm farmers are being more successful. They don’t tend to have the large scale overhead costs of generational farms to lock them into ideas, they are more free to exercise new thoughts. In many cases they also aren’t chained by previous knowledge and perceptions. They have their own struggles to be sure, but there is some freedom in being small and new.

I have heard the direct marketing drum beat for 30 years now but success stories on a stand alone basis are few and very far between if the calculator is used. Our climate is not suitable for market gardening. We have a small garden for our own purposes but late year a lot of stuff didn't mature due to the sun not shining and rained every day. I used to help a guy hay and we got a deal on beef but he has retired now. Last year the stupid weather was so awful the haying work interfered with my off farm job and so I could not put in as much as I would have liked. Normally the hay would be mostly done before the peak off farm work comes. Market for livestock is pretty much saturated which is why the price is low. As well, nobody really wants an abottoir job for good reason. Reality in canuckistan is that most people have become wealthy because of the asset inflation that comes from government money printing 24/7. Once that goes away, which is happening right now, this is the third world.
                    Last edited by ajl; Jul 4, 2020, 13:00.

Comment

Originally posted by itisfarmer View Post
                      Hello there, My name is Sheldon Zou. I am the guy on that Global Mail 8 years ago, as well as the
                      complete dispersal auction at RB Regina.
                      Ever since I started farming about 10 years ago. I spent lots of time on this site and thecombineforum. Picked up tips from each post as much as i could. When I started, I didn't know what's a pry bar or anything you guys mentioned here day in and day out. Now, I could pretty much handled all jobs on my farm. I want to thanks everyone on this forum for that. Farmers of Saskatchewan are so kind to new comer, especially around Ogema. Neighbours helped me so much, one guy stopped his half million dollars combine and came to fix my $300 pull type swather. He also fixed my grain truck when I was picking part in Regina. One guy helped me calibrated grain cart on my drill at seeding time. One rescued me on highway 39 when my JD header fall off trailer at weekend. One spent a whole day fixed my drill axle at seeding time. And most of help I mentioned above were free of charge.
                      FARMAHOLIC, you are right, farming isn't for the faint of heart. Last Oct. , when I waited for my flax to be ready under snow ( 10 quarters). I was so frustrated and desperate. I deeply agree with one post here " it would be so nice if it just doesn't matter". Luckily for me, it turned out alright, we managed finishing every acre of crop into bins with locals help before winter. Although the yield was under average, price was good this spring. Now, there are two very good young farmers renting my land, they are my friends as well. I hope they all doing well.
                      Farming on prairie has been such a mixing feeling experience for me. I can not survive it without local help and you guys knowledge. Thanks again, I hope everyone here have a wonderful season and farming career.
                      Good of you to post. And you can tell me to get lost since this is not my business however if you don’t mind what would you say was the biggest reasons things didn’t work out?
                      Land too high? Was it your own money or borrowed to buy?
                      Land rent too high?
                      Crop insurance didn’t cover losses?
                      Did agristability work?
                      Equipment problems?
                      Weather?
                      Getting workers to help?
                      Not asking to be an ass just good sometimes to get perspective so others that don’t know ag can understand.
                      Thanks
                      And sorry it didn’t work out!!

Comment

How refreshing. A really good post about farming that didn't get derailed.
                        Hard to fly like an eagle when you work with turkeys.
                        I try hard not to be a turkey and succeed most days. Others, I look back on and humble myself.
                        Farming will look quite different in 100 years. And familiar. I don't sweat things I can't change anymore.
                        The next few years before I pull the pin will be the hardest; to have the energy.
                        And the easiest; with good people and equipment.
                        Good on everyone who knows that farming can be a rut. And those who figure out in time that there's not much difference between a rut and a grave.
                        Happy trails Sheldon..

Comment

Maybe JDGreen can chime in and verify there's life after farming!

Comment

Originally posted by farmaholic View Post
                            Maybe JDGreen can chime in and verify there's life after farming!
                            Now there is a guy who knows a thing or two about helping out an underdog.

Comment

Originally posted by RTK View Post
                              Bucket - yep probably the case - but I bet it’s the 80/20 rule... more people than not offered genuine condolences to you and your family. Best to remember those actions than the other.
                              To be honest. In my situation you could reverse the 80 and the 20. At least. Maybe 90 10 even? It is too bad, but the truth. Land comes available and farmers get licking their lips. Not saying they are necessarily evil intentions, just that for many, the "sympathy" is not very real or deep.

Comment

Originally posted by ajl View Post
                                I have heard the direct marketing drum beat for 30 years now but success stories on a stand alone basis are few and very far between if the calculator is used. Our climate is not suitable for market gardening. We have a small garden for our own purposes but late year a lot of stuff didn't mature due to the sun not shining and rained every day. I used to help a guy hay and we got a deal on beef but he has retired now. Last year the stupid weather was so awful the haying work interfered with my off farm job and so I could not put in as much as I would have liked. Normally the hay would be mostly done before the peak off farm work comes. Market for livestock is pretty much saturated which is why the price is low. As well, nobody really wants an abottoir job for good reason. Reality in canuckistan is that most people have become wealthy because of the asset inflation that comes from government money printing 24/7. Once that goes away, which is happening right now, this is the third world.
                                You aren't going the read success stories of garlic farmers in mainstream farm mags. You will never hear about the goat cheesemakers who farm 30 acres and make a great living there either. The yak farmers, the small town abbatoir, the cricket producer, the shitake mushroom farm, the quail farmer, the sheep dairy, the greenhouse supplying restaurants.

There are MANY success stories in the field of diversity, in the realm of different thinking out there. It has been an incredible journey to be on. You aren't going to find them in papers that glorify acres, iron, and high tech farming. Your local banks, fcc, elevator coffee row, are going to be clueless we exist. We're too busy working, making contacts, marketing our products. Actual marketing not putting in gpo's or calling elevators. That is not really marketing, it is begging for the best price someone is willing to pay.

Lots of folks farming differently creating wealth that most will never even hear about, because it isn't on enough acres, or on a scale in the mainstream to be cool.

Just saying.....
                                You have to go to "shop local" stores to find them.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...