• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who is paying Ralph Goodale?????

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

People would pay triple what they did originally for rural natural gas and domestic water pipelines.
    That’s inflation.

Today’s projects that seems expensive, unnecessary, foolish, etc could be the backbone of the economy, and might even look cheap in the future ( assuming the price of potatoes go up )😊

Comment

Originally posted by Rareearth View Post
      Funding for tax payer and social benefits

Many, many choices with no ROI that’s measurable
      NATO
      Who
      BL matter
      Arts in general
      Tar sands
      Indigionus issues
      Etc

Water is the very foundation of every economy on the globe. Take it away and what’s left?
      Agree , but if you use it , you can pay for it if it will be a financial windfall for those who are fortunate enough to be in those areas
      Just my take I guess

Comment

People would pay triple what they did originally for rural natural gas and domestic water pipelines.
        That’s inflation.

Today’s projects that seems expensive, unnecessary, foolish, etc could be the backbone of the economy, and might even look cheap in the future ( assuming the price of potatoes go up )😊
        The projects at Lake diefenbaker have provided zero ROI otherwise they wouldn't continue to need funding...

Sand as far as making a living on 640 acres that's a fallacy around here as well because the same guys getting the 40 buck subsidy are the guys expanding their land base. ..on one hand they can't afford their water bill but they can expand....odd no? ?

So in a round about way the taxpayer is paying for their expansions on dryland.....

Meanwhile dryland farmers get SFA for any help with programs and neither do the private irrigators. ..

A good point was made about SPUDCO as the beautiful barns built were disposed of at nickels on the dollar....another subsidy...but everyone seen that coming....

Comment

Maybe people need to dig deeper what irrrigation really is. Its a subsidy water export program at its heart.

Only a slim portion of the 3 ag provinces are suitable for it, so basically in sask, everything within a few miles of the Sk river system, possibly the chain lakes and its tributaries but that would have to be lifted out of the valley at immense cost.

So the cost is socialized across the population for only a handful of farmers to utilize. Thats unfair right off the bat. And some guys start growing 150 bu wheat crops at $7 to sell to other countries. You are exporting our scarce water resources for free with that operation. Same goes with hay.

Canada imports most of our fresh vegetables and a lot of fruits. The only scenario where irrigation would be beneficial would be to offset that and grow it domestically. Then its grown and consumed here and the value added would be immense.

Chasing more yield is a waste of time.

Comment

Originally posted by jazz View Post
            Maybe people need to dig deeper what irrrigation really is. Its a subsidy water export program at its heart.

Only a slim portion of the 3 ag provinces are suitable for it, so basically in sask, everything within a few miles of the Sk river system, possibly the chain lakes and its tributaries but that would have to be lifted out of the valley at immense cost.

So the cost is socialized across the population for only a handful of farmers to utilize. Thats unfair right off the bat. And some guys start growing 150 bu wheat crops at $7 to sell to other countries. You are exporting our scarce water resources for free with that operation. Same goes with hay.

Canada imports most of our fresh vegetables and a lot of fruits. The only scenario where irrigation would be beneficial would be to offset that and grow it domestically. Then its grown and consumed here and the value added would be immense.

Chasing more yield is a waste of time.
            Irrigation would barely pay 90% of the time off the north sask river.
            Generally enough rain , well historically, but not enough GDD and frost free days for valuable enough crops to justify 9/10 years
            Then there is transportation from this whole area , with added carbon tax it may never be feasible here

Turf , hay and local produce like vegetable garden yes but export Ag products I am not so sure .
            It costs huge sums of money and risk here is very high at times even for field crops
            Last edited by furrowtickler; Jun 22, 2020, 15:17.

Comment

Riddle me this....

People put railways, highways and grain elevators in the same class of infrastructure as irrigation....so in this area while they were thinking or building the cadillac of irrigation systems for a select few....they were tearing out the elevators and railways....

More production from irrigation but no infrastructure that would have serviced all the farmers in the area...

So there isn't a rail line to either Riverhurst or Outlook and the highway to Outlook was garbage the last time I went that way....

No primary highway to Riverhurst to service the higher production with the closest elevator an hour away ....

It seems odd people put it all in the same class of infrastructure then when asked why the infrastructure would service everyone .....the conversation changes...

Is Ralphie going to promote better highways and rail lines since he is on an infrastructure kick with irrigation or is that a topic he will continue to ignore like he did while in government?
              Last edited by bucket; Jun 22, 2020, 22:51.

Comment

Originally posted by bucket View Post
                Riddle me this....

People put railways, highways and grain elevators in the same class of infrastructure as irrigation....so in this area while they were thinking or building the cadillac of irrigation systems for a select few....they were tearing out the elevators and railways....

More production from irrigation but no infrastructure that would have serviced all the farmers in the area...

So there isn't a rail line to either Riverhurst or Outlook and the highway to Outlook was garbage the last time I went that way....

No primary highway to Riverhurst to service the higher production with the closest elevator an hour away ....

It seems odd people put it all in the same class of infrastructure then when asked why the infrastructure would service everyone .....the conversation changes...

Is Ralphie going to promote better highways and rail lines since he is on an infrastructure kick with irrigation or that a topic he will continue to ignore like he did while in government?
                From the looks of the Lake Diefenbaker area they were planning on using boats and barges, then came along a Saskatchewan pirate.

Joking aside that area is in desperate need of road and rail. There is no way in hell a concrete elevator should be closed in that area

Comment

I guess like the rest of society, as long as your getting free money... it’s all good for everyone lol

Comment

Originally posted by TASFarms View Post
                    From the looks of the Lake Diefenbaker area they were planning on using boats and barges, then came along a Saskatchewan pirate.

Joking aside that area is in desperate need of road and rail. There is no way in hell a concrete elevator should be closed in that area
                    They closed a 10000 tonne concrete in Eyebrow. The western producer ran a story....part of the justification was the poor pulse market.....uh uh....market isn't in bad shape and they bought ILTA at Belle Plaine .....

Farmers just accepted it....bought bins tires and fuel to help Viterra. ..

Politicians said they can't get involved in private company decisions....

Interesting...

They have no trouble handing the money out to private companies....

Worse is they never put a performance standard on it....

ROI on the 25 million should be 8 percent like dragons den or more...

Instead they use the line they are creating jobs....

Do you know how many jobs could be made on an average farm if they were subsidized to the same level?

Comment

Glad to see a broader view being discussed here. . Hope. Future. Wealth creation. It feels good.

I got the beliw Info signed by Randy Hobak this morning, I’ll be upfront and say I’m definitely not a Erin O’Toole fan. Or a Peter Mackay fan. But I do read ag policy by anyone who is gunning for any poli- leadership position.

“As former Chair of the Western Canadian Wheat Growers’ Association, and Chair of the Standing Committee on International Trade, along with numerous years as a member of the Agriculture Committee, I know it is important that good agriculture policy and good trade policy go hand in hand.

Unfortunately, Erin O'Toole didn't ask me for my opinion on his proposed policies. I was shocked when I read his plan.

His policies will hurt our farmers, ranchers and our food processors.

Not only will Erin's hidden carbon tax drive up the cost of food production, but his "national industrial regulatory and pricing regime" will also put a price on other greenhouse gas emissions like methane produced by livestock.

Ever since I was first elected, I have fought hard for our farmers and ranchers, especially against the USA's protectionist attempts to block Canadian livestock from crossing the border by using COOL - Country of Origin Labelling.

We fought against COOL in the US courts and won.

Incredibly, Erin wants to throw away our hard work and what we accomplished as a Conservative government and impose COOL on all food products here, opening the door to retaliation by the Americans.

Why would he want Canadian farmers to lose market share in the United States?

To add insult to injury, Erin wants to limit the movement of livestock across our great country as well.

Due to limited supplies of local feeder calves and pigs, feedlots and hog barns across Canada would be forced to close under the O'Toole plan. As a result, our meat packers in Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba, Ontario and Quebec would be unable to source enough livestock to meet their needs.

Erin's policy is similar to the Liberal's new livestock transportation regulations which are not based on science and data, but on ideology.

Instead of imposing more burdensome taxes and red tape on our agriculture industry, I want to support a Leader who will ensure our farms and ranches are competitive on the global market and will thrive.

Peter MacKay will help our farmers and the next generation of producers by:

lowering the tax burden on farm businesses
                      axing the carbon tax
                      regaining lost international markets through free and fair-trade agreements
                      removing non-tariff trade barriers to improve access to existing trade agreements
                      increasing the Capital Gains Exemption for intergenerational farm transfers
                      enhancing the young farmer program at FCC
                      protecting supply management, and
                      investing in new technology to help farmers maximize and capitalize on carbon sequestration.”

UNQUOTE

Comment

Interesting, I think I like Peter more than I used to.

Bucket just buy the eyebrow elevator, everything is for sale. Or let me guess you want it for $100 bucks?

Comment

Interesting, I think I like Peter more than I used to.

Bucket just buy the eyebrow elevator, everything is for sale. Or let me guess you want it for $100 bucks?
                          10000 tonnes is a stretch...and I certainly don't have the money to buy it....plus the cost to re-install the computer to make it work. ..

It's not for sale....

The capitalist way would be to get government money to buy it ....get it operational .....create a couple jobs....then default....and buy it for 100 bucks.....

I would support it if it was I commercial use ...

Comment

BTW ..here the Quappelle south irrigation Project is planned ....the eyebrow elevator is the closest and in the heart of it...

Seems odd that all the irrigation areas and higher production lose their facilities to move grain....

Comment

Eyebrow sounds like a opportunity.
                              Bucket you have business savvy, fire, and determination! Turn it into a feed mill?

Every things for sale, pay them a royalty of some sort, Mr Wonderfull on shark take would.

Comment

Eyebrow sounds like a opportunity.
                                Bucket you have business savvy, fire, and determination! Turn it into a feed mill?

Every things for sale, pay them a royalty of some sort, Mr Wonderfull on shark take would.
                                Actually last fall I was thinking it would have made sense to have a dryer there....

Here is my thinking ....A farmer would have to truck to moose Jaw anyway...

Viterra could have bought a tough load at Eyebrow and reloaded the farmer to take dry to Moose Jaw..

Then the facility could have waited for some other special circumstances to re-open....like 35 cent red lentils...

Does it need a 150 car spot....for Viterra....Yup...and since they are rebuilding highway in that area it wouldn't have been stretch to make a larger spot work there....

But thinking isn't my strong point....

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...