• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sandblasting and painting trailers

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sandblasting and painting trailers

I bought a couple of used step deck trailers for farm use, that I barely use but still need nonetheless. One I just had to rebuild because the cross members were badly corroded and wouldn’t pass inspection. I will never get my money back out of that (resale). My other trailer has the paint coming off in huge strips as the metal corrodes underneath it. Structurally it is still good but I don’t want to have it disintegrate like the other one. Can these be sandblasted and repainted to stop the corrosion or should I just dump the trailers now? Regret buying used trailers, should have bought new and they would last me a lifetime (no winter use).

Give it a light blasting, spray with Ospho, prime and paint. Probably set you back about 3k or so, less if you can do it yourself. Just make sure you do all the prep work before blasting as that can eat up hours.

Comment

Quotes were $6000-$8000 depending on whether I want RB Auction paint or a real paint job (their words).

Comment

Originally posted by Taiga View Post
        Quotes were $6000-$8000 depending on whether I want RB Auction paint or a real paint job (their words).
        I had a gooseneck flatdeck in my head, not a semi trailer. In that case, yeah, your going to fork over some decent cash for that.

I wouldn't buy a used trailer of any kind unless it was mint condition. Too many unknowns.

I bought a little 5x8 trailer at auction once, with a 150 gallon slip tank and new pump on it. Paid $300. Didn't need the trailer, it was completely frame rotted, no lights. Tires barely held air. Screwed a salvage piece of 1/4 chipboard over the top and threw it in an auction. If you stepped on the top, you would go right through the floor, but the chipboard made it look 'decent'. Piece of junk brought $250. I laughed all the way to the bank on that one.

Moral of the story, make them look pretty (for cheap) and toss in an auction and you might laugh too.

Comment

Originally posted by Taiga View Post
          ....yikes.

Comment

This is a 1994 doepker grain trailer that was all rusty and I had it repainted by Jackson Sandblasting and painting in Saskatoon and I think that cost me 4000. That was in 2002 and it Is still rust free. I have used it right up until last year and still use it at seeding and harvest. The guy that runs that place told me the trick to make them last is just as simple and cheap as a few more mm of paint so the stone chips don’t make it to metal. Very happy with the job he did!

Comment

I think I will just bite the bullet and blast and paint, is cheaper than new and as long as it preserves the metal I am happy. As it is now I can’t even get new conspicuity tape to stick.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
              • Return to Topic List
              Working...