• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Safe to spread urea on 5 leaf wheat?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Safe to spread urea on 5 leaf wheat?

Had a little rain lately and was wondering about floating on urea in about 10-14 days if rain is forecasted. Thinking wheat will be 5-6 leaf. Can I safely float on granular urea or will the granules fall down in the bottom of the leaves and damage the plants?

We do it here earlier different climate though we’re heading into winter you summer not a volatile with our weather

Comment

I would not worry about that, it is more critical getting it down and not having it evaporate before a rain. Definitely treat with agritain.

Comment

U will be fine. Have done it a few times and try to time it with a rain in the forecast. This year is a crap shoot on the reliability of rain events so adding a stabilizer would be good insurance.

Comment

Maybe I’m talking out my hat but if you’re going for yield isn’t 5 leaf too late? I was always told to get it on before 4 leaf for yield and after for protein.

Comment

I will have to look into the yield part. Was thinking that slightly later would maybe reduce the lodging potential.

Comment

I spread on Durum around that time and it turned the darkest green of any wheat I have ever grown. Looked amazing. Unfortunately all went to protein and not to yield. I still remember taking it to Gardiner Dam and they thought something was wrong with their tester because it was 17.2-17.4 protein. Of course this was in the CWB era and I got essentially nothing for my troubles.

Comment

Perhaps spraying uan is better

More research looks like spraying on uan at the end of tillering would be more consistent.

I have lots of hills and the spray booms move up and down 6’ at times. Not sure if the crop injury would be a problem or not? At 6’ above the crop there will be a lot of overlap on some of the fertilizer streams.

Comment

https://www.cropsmart.com.au/crop-nitrogen-requirements/ https://www.cropsmart.com.au/crop-nitrogen-requirements/ www.cropsmart.com.au/crop-nitrogen-requirements/

This might be of interest

Hot link works for me
                  Last edited by malleefarmer; Jun 10, 2020, 02:50.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                  • Return to Topic List
                  Working...