• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Garden asparagus anyone?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My folks never seemed to care for asparagus, but my wife and I love it. Like sheepwheat, I found some growing in an old farmyard we acquired, moved some home, and have just left it growing in grass(along the garden), like I found it. Produces nice spears, but have been wondering if it would be even better, without having to compete with the grass?

How do you all maintain your patches? Do you let it grow wild, in the wild grass? Do you trim the grass down? Do you till around your asparagus patch, but yet still have grass throughout your asparagus? Do you till through out your patch, so no grass is in or around the spears?

Comment

Ours is a planted patch. So we have been rototilling along the rows and pulling all weeds, it’s a bit of a project for the 800ft or row we have. I would think keeping the grass back is better . Good luck. Enjoy!

Comment

Originally posted by sumdumguy View Post
        Recipe? Looks delicious too.
        A dash of this and a dollop of that. But if you want to get really technical, she dug the recipe up - here you go. She doesn't always have apple cider on hand so subs it with other fruit juice, she says.

Strawberry + Asparagus Salad

Ingredients:
        - 1 lb. asparagus - blanched and cooled
        - 1 quart strawberries - cut in half (¼ if large)

Dressing: Mix in a jar
        - ¼ cup sugar (or substitute ie: stevia, or splenda)
        - ¼ vegetable oil
        - 2 Tablespoons apple cider (I used apple juice with a cinnamon
        Stick simmered on stove for ½ hr.)
        - 1 Tbsp. poppy seeds
        - 1 ½ tsp. sesame seeds
        - ¾ tsp. grated onion (I used dried onion flakes broke up small)
        - ¼ tsp. salt
        - 1/8 tsp. pepper
        - 1/8 tsp. paprika
        - 1/8 tsp. Worcestershire sauce

Place asparagus and strawberries on platter
        Pour dressing over them and serve

Notice: recipe calls for apple cider which I used above when made for my family reunion.
        I read the recipe wrong when making for WMF Potluck today and used apple cider vinegar
        Both were received well but I thought the vinegar a little strong so would reduce it to 1½ Tbsp.
        Your choice - not sure you could do anything to wreck this recipe it is just so delicious!

Prepared the night before but never put dressing on till ready to serve.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
        • Return to Topic List
        Working...