• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Back issues

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sitting for endless hours on equipment is hard on the body, once you recover from your injury start with some simple yoga stretches, you need to stretch those muscles that are shortening, like hamstrings. Your muscles just feel better after a mild stretch.

God I hope that didn't sound like Skippy giving advice on how to live your life.

My Dad told me age and pain are really good buddies.

Comment

Originally posted by Blaithin View Post
      I wouldn’t normally say I have a bad back but it sure buggered up in me earlier this year. Pulled a muscle chasing cows in the mud years ago and every now and then it flairs up. Have no desire to go to a chiropractor so tried out a massage therapist instead. Worked amazing. She said it was most likely a QL issue which caused hip and quad issues as everything just tightened up so I was a 90 degree person.

Haven’t been back for another massage yet, which I should. Also kind of encouraged me to get into some sort of stretching, like yoga, to try and help. Also something I haven’t really gotten around to.
      Had same issues and went to a chiropractor who was really good. He said it was muscle related and gave me some stretches to do to strengthen the muscles. He didn’t believe in doing any back cracking for the sake of it. Then I seen an rmt for a while and it seemed to fix it. I’ve been good for a couple years. Biggest thing I found was to stop carrying my wallet in my back pocket.

Comment

Originally posted by farmaholic View Post
        Or not enough sex mid-life and you seized up.

Seriously? You had a hip replacement at 43? Seems awful young.
        Might have got year wrong maybe 44 yep they wouldn’t do it for a few years to young.

Surgeon said it was bleeding the ball which means it would snap sometime soon so it was just in a nick of time.

Had a sporting injury to lower back was peeing blood at time of the blunt trauma two nights in hospital there suggesting it moved my hip a fraction, walked with a slight limp fo years and wore me hip out

Comment

Have you trie Dr Ho? Works great on locked up muscles. Knock on wood but no back problems yet but lots of muscles that lockup from time to time. (Inflammation to protect slight injury). Stretching and Dr Ho does it. My wife uses block therapy and it works well.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion everyone.
            This used to happen more often and I would go to the chiropractor. He would just crack it and then tell me to come back in a week. Over that week it would heal and I would go back for another crack and he would get $40. It toke me awhile to figure out it healed the same if I went to the chiropractor or not.
            After that I started stretching and worked at it fairly steady and my back had been very good for at least 5 years. As the years go by and my back felt good so got a little lazy with the stretching.

Comment

We bought one of those massage chairs a few years ago. I haven't been to the chiropractor since. After a hard day picking rocks or shoveling grain or after a hard night of binge watching on Netflix it does wonders.

Comment

I have no pain. Or charleyhorses. No aches. No headaches. No foot problems. No depression. Eat like a horse. Sleep like a log.

I find the following works for me:

1. Riding bike all summer keeps limbs and muscles happy.
                2. Good fitted shoes keep the feet corn & bunion free
                3. Wide varied diet keeps body happy.
                4. Lots of stretching keeps a body limber
                5. Physical work keeps the body toned.
                6. Lifting and moving #20 - #55 lb grain bags keeps muscles strong.
                7. Never take meds unless absolutley necessary.
                8. Be silly once in awhile to delight yourself
                9. Only help or give with a very very willing heart.
                10. Eat the best, freshest food you can buy.
                11. I go for a checkup every two or more years.

Works for me.

Comment

Thanks Pars
                  That sounds like a good pattern to follow!
                  I should add being 6.4 tall probably doesn’t help.
                  Last edited by seldomseen; May 14, 2020, 20:21.

Comment

I love my chiro when I need him.
                    Wrists, elbows, shoulders, ribs. Huge difference when my hammer hands hurt.Didn't throw pipe in a healthy way I guess. Arthritis setting in. Lungs are kinda shot LoL.
                    Mom said getting old isn't for wimps. My 80 yr old neighbor says your as old as you act. He has no pains tho.
                    Last S.O. was 10 years younger.
                    Back was fine then.....
                    Last edited by blackpowder; May 14, 2020, 20:32.

Comment

Originally posted by seldomseen View Post
                      Thanks Pars
                      That sounds like a good pattern to follow!
                      I should add being 6.4 tall probably doesn’t help.
                      I agree.

No matter how much ergonomic crap is read about proper shovelling techniques, nothing saves my back during that. Unless I shovelled on my knees.

Probably the amount of times I’ve drilled my head on things hasn’t helped with impacts either, but for sure shovelling. If there’s one thing I would say being tall is extremely bad for, it’s using a shovel.

And I’m not 6’4.

Comment

I’m sure I’ve told you guys.

Had 3 rounds of shoulder surgery, one the tendons are screwed to bone, hip replacement, right knee cleaned out twice, carpel tunnels done, all me knuckles in me hands crack.

To much buddy contact sport, rock climbing,and screwing around on motorbikes and falling off in my youth and push bikes before that those were the days better than being in basement with computer

Comment

Originally posted by Blaithin View Post
                          I agree.

No matter how much ergonomic crap is read about proper shovelling techniques, nothing saves my back during that. Unless I shovelled on my knees.

Probably the amount of times I’ve drilled my head on things hasn’t helped with impacts either, but for sure shovelling. If there’s one thing I would say being tall is extremely bad for, it’s using a shovel.

And I’m not 6’4.
                          I learned the hard way that I have to shovel grain on my knees.

Comment

Hauling grain in the winter did a lot of damage to backs before we had self propelled grain augers, lifting and pulling a auger through snow at the same time, then going into the bin and shoveling most of the bin bottom as no one had a bin sweep either.

It's a wonder we can even walk upright after all the the abuse a persons body has been through.

But people who sit in offices all day have back problems too, but they also have smaller hands.

Comment

Ohhhh , but we are all silver spoon farmers subsidized by the government yet all we do is work our backs off lol ...
                              I have been fortunate myself but aches and pains taking a bit of a toll as well .
                              If only we could just get paid to stay at home ....
                              or be privileged enough to have a big trust fund and never ever have to work hey Justin ?
                              Just saying
                              Stay well and safe guys and gals during this seeding season . I am sure someone somewhere will appreciate us feeding them eventually .. LOL
                              Last edited by furrowtickler; May 15, 2020, 04:33.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...