• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Oil is dead?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When I built my house a decade ago I wanted to be as energy efficient as practical. Good double pane windows (triple pane cost vs savings don’t justify), extra insulation, placement of windows to let sun in etc. All my lighting is LED, low flow shower heads. I know full well I save cause I don’t burn a ton of propane but power bill is the bloody joke. Save all the electricity you want but they get you on everything but the watts used.

Comment

Originally posted by WiltonRanch View Post
      When I built my house a decade ago I wanted to be as energy efficient as practical. Good double pane windows (triple pane cost vs savings don’t justify), extra insulation, placement of windows to let sun in etc. All my lighting is LED, low flow shower heads. I know full well I save cause I don’t burn a ton of propane but power bill is the bloody joke. Save all the electricity you want but they get you on everything but the watts used.
      Agree , when I built in 04-05 I used spray foam on the entire house , built house on angle to capture as much winter sun as possible . No air conditioning, used house location to max air flow in summer with NW and SW winds .
      In floor heat in basement/ garage with coil through hot water tank . Tried to be as efficient as possible at the time .
      But according to some we all live in inefficient houses .... lol whatever .

Comment

Building houses yeah.

We attempted to build energy efficient house but the authorities kept at us capturing light etc to wam the house. We said nah we want to put a. Veranda has all the way round to shade all times of the day.

Nope can’t do that you have to warm house in winter.

We said feek you jack it gets to 42 c here and some we want cool in summer.

Nope no.

We went ahead and built anyway against regulation nothing has happened. Effing greens.

Comment

When I built my shop 2 years ago I spray foamed R20 on the walls plus 6” of fibreglass for a total of R40, ceilings got R60 of blown in fibreglass. Takes very little to heat shop until you open the big door. My house probably uses twice as much natural gas as my shop. Hopefully I can upgrade my insulation in my house this year once this province opens up again.

Comment

Insulation is a very good investment that pays back many times over.

In Canada shading for summer sun and passive solar design principles allow for lots of sun in winter months and much less in summer.

Even the best windows are poor insulators, so good passive design requires a large thermal mass to stabilize temperatures.

Too many south facing windows relative to floor area will still cause overheating in summer.

But a well designed and well insulated house uses much less heating and cooling.

Comment

Chuck you're out 90 degrees .West windows are the ones that let all the heat in in the summer and peoplekind with black shingles and paved driveways are causing the inaccurate global warming temperature readings.
              Last edited by 6V53; May 10, 2020, 12:26.

Comment

Too many west windows are a problem too.

If the sun shines directly in the widow during summer that is the worst case. But when windows are shaded they still let in a lot of heat because the good ones are still only R6.

Heat from cooking, lights and other sources also cause interior temperatures to rise.

Its a balance. Lots of thermal mass will help keep the temperature swings lower for awhile.

Comment

Caves are cool in the summer also , maybe we should go back to that?
                  Better use some energy or there will be a lot of people unemployed , as this experiment is painfully proving

Comment

Elon Musk is now relocating Tesla Headquarters to Texas. The radical greenie Democrats are hurting his business so they have to move to a oil friendly Republican state that is pro-business. Tesla will be moving production from California to Texas and Nevada.

Comment

Originally posted by Oliver88 View Post
                      Elon Musk is now relocating Tesla Headquarters to Texas. The radical greenie Democrats are hurting his business so they have to move to a oil friendly Republican state that is pro-business. Tesla will be moving production from California to Texas and Nevada.
                      I think that is still just a threat at this point. And with Tesla's track record, it seems more likely that he will be relocating to his mothers basement than Texas, but...

This is exactly what the Chuck's of the world fail to understand. The unintended consequences of over regulation, punitive taxes, environmental costs, CO2 taxes etc., business and capital are mobile ( except for us farmers), and by pushing their left agenda too far, it becomes worse for the environment, worse for tax collection, and worse for human safety/rights, as businesses are forced to move to remain competitive or even viable. The entire fiasco we are currently in where China controls most of our vital supply chains and is destroying the environment in the process falls squarely on the over regulation, over taxation policies as endorsed by Chuck et al.

Comment

Originally posted by AlbertaFarmer5 View Post
                        I think that is still just a threat at this point. And with Tesla's track record, it seems more likely that he will be relocating to his mothers basement than Texas, but...

This is exactly what the Chuck's of the world fail to understand. The unintended consequences of over regulation, punitive taxes, environmental costs, CO2 taxes etc., business and capital are mobile ( except for us farmers), and by pushing their left agenda too far, it becomes worse for the environment, worse for tax collection, and worse for human safety/rights, as businesses are forced to move to remain competitive or even viable. The entire fiasco we are currently in where China controls most of our vital supply chains and is destroying the environment in the process falls squarely on the over regulation, over taxation policies as endorsed by Chuck et al.
                        His grandparents are from Saskatchewan and still has relatives here.

Comment

Lol you guys.....talking of summer heat, pussies

Comment

[QUOTE=malleefarmer;452247]Lol you guys.....talking of summer heat, pussies[/QUOTE

Lol. True
                            I don’t think we broke 30 C once last summer
                            Frost in every month but June . Second year in a row with snow in early September. 4 th night of hard frost ... In a row in Mid May ...
                            But we are told and must believe that Canada is warming twice as fast as the rest of the world , just like every other country is lol . We must pay carbon tax to save this out of control warming and chuck and others must tell us that our homes are inefficient and how to build them to be efficient for all the global warming.
                            So good to have such insightful people kind to tell us what we don’t know .
                            Time to go treat seed .... oh wait I can’t , it’s -4
                            Last edited by furrowtickler; May 15, 2020, 04:40.

Comment

Oil isn't dead the real truth should be the Green Party is dead.

Canada is getting colder if anything.

Comment

What is dead? Taxpayers get the shaft.

"Nova Scotia writes off $48M investment in failed wind tower plant"

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/ns-writes-off-48m-investment-in-failed-wind-tower-plant-1.5548428 https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/ns-writes-off-48m-investment-in-failed-wind-tower-plant-1.5548428

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...